Barbra Streisand | Crime | Louisiana | News

Louisiana Gay Men's Trip To Streisand Flick Ends In Assault

JamisonPolice in Lafayette, LA, arrested 37-year old Joseph Menard Jr. after he allegedly assaulted four gay men at a recent showing of the Barbra Streisand and Seth Rogan flick Guilt Trip.

Walt Jamison says he and his boyfriend and two other gay men were settling into the showing when Menard, sitting behind them with his children, began spewing anti-gay invectives and then, when asked to be quiet by them and another patron, attacked them.

The Advertiser has more:

The men took their seats dur­ing the previews, Jamison said, and almost immediately a man in the row behind them said, "Oh great," and called them a derogatory name aimed at their sex­ual preference.

When one of the four said, "Ex­cuse me?" Men­ard "stood up and leaned over us and started scream­ing hate slurs pep­pered with profanities," in front of his own child and wife, Jamison said.

A woman about three rows in front stood and asked Menard to stop because she had chil­dren with her, but, according to Jamison, Menard insulted her and told her to sit down.

Menard "sat down and stood back up and popped my partner in the back of the head," said Jamison, adding that he was also struck by Menard.

Before the police arrived, Menard and his family left The Grand in their SUV. Police [pursued] them and arrested Menard on the simple battery charges.

Menard has been charged with simple assault, while his wife was also charged with resisting arrest.

Two very different family outings ruined by the same thing: ignorance and hate.

Comments

1. And I don't need to give any proof of who I am as a gay man because facts and proof are for liberal effeminates and I refuse to ever do anything that would associate me with liberal effeminacy.

I don't need to show anyone who I am. I will tell you that I'm a very masculine gay man and you'll have to believe me, because if there's one thing masculine manly non-effeminate gay men do best it's tell people how masculine they are on the internet.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 17, 2013 4:31:23 PM

2. Ah, look at Rick the internet tough guy. There are plenty of women capable of beating men up, especially you.

Posted by: Zia | Jan 17, 2013 4:31:39 PM

3. I watched my father beat the crap out of my mother for years, and she deserved it, so I think I learned a thing or two about the best way to keep a woman in her place.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 17, 2013 4:35:09 PM

4. I hate to say it, but it does seem "odd" that four men couldn't handle one guy. I'm not saying beat him to death, but you couldnt even restrain him? Hold him down until the cops came? Nothing? You tell him to be quiet, he punches you and your boyfriend and nothing?

Posted by: Marty | Jan 17, 2013 4:47:16 PM

5. I can't think of a more despicable hell on Earth than 90 torturous minutes of Seth Rogen AND Barbra Strident. This just proves it.

Posted by: Bollux | Jan 17, 2013 4:47:57 PM

6. Dear Abby (Pauline Philips) passed away today. Came across this column while reading about her writings:

March 15, 1962

Dear Abby:

The boy behind me in Freshmen English brings a knitting bag to school and knits in class! He appears to be normal in every aspect, but how can this be? At first everyone giggled and made remarks, but now nobody pays any attention to it. He is very good looking, clean-cut and polite, but a little on the effeminate side. I would really like to get to know him better but my dorm sisters tell me there must be something wrong with him. Can a boy be normal and knit in public?

Signed,
    On The Level

Dear On:

He certainly can. And any male who kits in public is obviously masculine enough to defend himself.

Posted by: beef and fur | Jan 17, 2013 4:49:41 PM

7. Wow, BEEF AND FUR, that pretty much sums up this whole discussion.

Rick, read BEEF AND FUR's comment and STFU.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 17, 2013 4:58:18 PM

8. @DFP

It won't do any good. The group of 3 - 4 malcontents highlighted here are never happy unless everyone agrees only with them. They can't accept that everyone has an opinion and that if they want to force everyone to march to what they deem the enlightened beat of their drum, they should just get their own F*cking blog.

Posted by: beef and fur | Jan 17, 2013 5:14:30 PM

9. @Francis,

Cambridge and Boston essentially one and the same. They're technically separate cities but are right on top of each other.

Boston and Cambridge are both very urban, very diverse and densely populated. These characteristics lead to statistically large numbers of 'assaults', mostly people arguing over some BS that happens in crowded urban areas, over parking spaces, etc., And the Boston/Cambridge/Somerville area has a lot of 'progressives' and people in general who're more likely to contact police over incidents they believe to have been bias related. Aside from that, the violent crime rate for a big city is pretty tame compared to many other U.S. cities.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 17, 2013 5:15:30 PM

10. If gay men don't physically fight back when threatened or assaulted they are enablers. Bullies and bigots want to hurt people without being hurt themselves. Stand up! Fight back! Playing the victim only encourages further victimization.!!!!!!!

Posted by: andrew | Jan 17, 2013 5:37:25 PM

11. Little Kiwi should stop posting in Rick's name. It just shows us who follow the postings on this site how truly sick and evil Little Kiwi really is !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: andrew | Jan 17, 2013 6:06:12 PM

12. ..well I read everyones comments...and I gotta say - I agree with everyone - at least some pints in each of thier comments---- I say - Unless YOU are there WHILE its happening - you dont know exactly How you;d react.....sure, we'd all like to beat the crap outa him...but,again - you werent there....ad the outcome seems to be positive. It could have gotten Real Ugly Un-necessarily

Posted by: disgusted american | Jan 17, 2013 6:35:32 PM

13. Towleroad needs to talk to Prof. Waldman or whomever gives you legal advice on defamation law. Several of the comments here are actual or borderline defamatory, including those misidentifying the accused and attributing criminality to him apart from this arrest. It appears Menard is a somewhat common Cajun or French ethnic name in that state. Be careful what you guys post about someone if you don't have your "facts" down--ahem-- straight. He already has a lawyer I suppose so Towleroad (and those bigmouths not masking their IP address here) better hope said lawyer only knows criminal law.

Posted by: Contrarian | Jan 17, 2013 9:18:19 PM

14. @luminum,
    I am anti violence for the most part but punching him out in front of his kids might just have been exactly what should have happened. At least one generation would then understand the consequences and repercussions of homophobic violence.

Posted by: jleo71 | Jan 18, 2013 10:11:36 AM

15. Don't get into a "debate" with YUPP. As soon as he disagrees with someone he accuses them of being Kiwi.

This guy IS ignorant. Ignorant in his views on gay people and clearly ignorant to know that if he didn't want to associate with gay people, he shouldn't have gone to a Streisand movie. Duh.

AJ and the rest. STOP giving out contact and personal info on people that is incorrect. A) It is wrong on many levels. B) Don't give fuel to trolls like Yupp.

Posted by: BETTY | Jan 18, 2013 1:05:16 PM