Education | Morehouse College | News

BigGayDeal.com

Morehouse College to Offer First LGBTQ Course, Screen Gay Black Docudrama: VIDEO

Amir3

Morehouse College, the all-male African American college in Atlanta, Georgia, will offer its first LGBTQ course this Spring, Lambda Literary reports:

“A Genealogy of Black LGBT Culture and Politics.” ... It will be taught via video conference by Yale University professor and previous Lambda Literary Award finalist Dr. Jafari Sinclaire Allen.

Writes Morehouse student Marcus Lee in the HuffPost:

Amir2In 2002, a Morehouse student by the name of Gregory Love was beaten with a baseball bat after being perceived as gay by another student. Seven years later, Morehouse announced the installation of a dress code policy which, in part, outlawed "clothing associated with women's garb" -- effectively pairing gender nonconformity with unpreparedness or a lack of professionalism. Both of these incidents demonstrated the need for serious and scholarly discussion of diversity in gender and sexual expression within the Morehouse community; and, until recently, this discussion had been prompted and completely lead by students on campus. Today, Morehouse SafeSpace -- the gay-straight alliance/student advocacy organization on campus -- is proud to announce that Morehouse has reached a milestone: in the 2013 spring semester, Morehouse's sociology department will be offering a course about the Black LGBTQ community. Dr. Jafari Allen, a Morehouse alumnus and professor at Yale University, will be teaching "A Genealogy of Black LGBT Culture and Politics" via video conference to Morehouse students. The course came to fruition after a series of conversations Dr. Allen and I had about black queer scholarship. It became clear that there was a void at Morehouse and he volunteered to help fill it....What does this mean to me? It means relief; it means stepping away from a culture of silence and stoicism, and toward one of candor and understanding.

In related news, filmmaker Amir Dixon writes Towleroad and tells us that he'll be screening "Friend of Essex", a docudrama about the lives of young black gay men, at Morehouse on January 31. The film explores the intersections of race, identity and sexuality. More info here.

Watch the trailer for "Friend of Essex" (screencapped above), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. "Maybe Sean just had bad experiences with African-American homophobes, repeatedly, and that's where he's coming from......rather than looking for a fight."

Yupp, I have came to that conclusion also...a while ago (these type of comments from Sean aren't new).

But let me ask you this, Yupp: why is it that some people have had bad experiences with members of a race or ethnic group, but yet they don't develop a hatred for that entire race or ethnic group?

I've had bad experiences with White folks, but I don't hate White folks in general (I wouldn't be here if I did).

And, oh, yes he was "looking for a fight". He choose to make a negative comment on a story Andy posted about a positive initative by Black Gays. And look what he wrote...and very the first comment.

Why would this story even interest him? The other resident anti-Black racists here didn't even bother to post a comment-- because they weren't interested in this positive news story. And that's ok. As my dear old Aunt Alva Lee use to say, "If you don't have anything nice to say, then STFU."

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 7, 2013 2:36:10 PM

2. "I came to the same conclusion" and "he CHOSE to make a negative comment..."

People too lazy to proofread shouldn't post comments on blogs...I delcare.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 7, 2013 2:43:52 PM

3. Derrick, thank you for mopping up this hot mess.

Little do people know that in the black gay bourgie underground, everyone knows that Morehouse is the place to go...hell, they could do an LGBT studies class on Morehouse College alone.

But only those of us queens behind The Veil know that, I guess (I was certainly told that back in the 1980's when I was applying for college. I never did apply to Morehouse...as if Howard was any less gay).

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Jan 7, 2013 2:55:34 PM

4. Derrick : I understand what you're saying. (And I didn't know Sean is always stating that position). I'm not really defending his or anyone's statements, though, just saying...in general...people (myself included) give disagreeable opinions for various reasons. But you know that already.

Posted by: Yupp | Jan 7, 2013 3:40:02 PM

5. yes. "various reasons"

see also: S**T Racist Closet-Cases Say

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 7, 2013 4:20:55 PM

6. Go read ROOTS again, Kiwi. (LOL. Ya dumb Canadian hick. Years ago we in the U.S. knew his book was fake when Haley had to pay the author he stole from over half a mil. And YOU in 2013 still think the book was real).

Posted by: Yupp | Jan 7, 2013 4:24:22 PM

7. You old bastards not only hate young people you hate blacks too! Is there anything you old white fags don't hate? Ya know,besides old white muscle queens!

Posted by: Audi-owner | Jan 7, 2013 5:58:40 PM

8. It's beyond me what childish joy that so many people get from being trolls.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 8, 2013 2:51:50 AM

9. When I read this article abstract in my news reader, I because notably excited about this development at my alma mater. When I attend Morehouse College, the administration refused to charter a gay student alliance citing there was no need for such a student run club on campus. This despite the number of gay students was more than obvious to anyone who walked on campus with their eyes open. ChitownKev summarized the prestige of "The House" quite nicely (sorry you had to go to Howard ;o) ) This is such a reason to show joy and excitement. Well, that is until you begin to read the comments to this development. How discouraging.

Being an alumnus, I must say that this is a spectacular move. Not only is this a good position for Dear Old Morehouse to take, but also sets a great example for other HBCUs who may be stuck in past notions of homosexuality and the Black Male.

Posted by: Dell | Jan 8, 2013 6:06:58 PM

10. "I became notably excited about this development at my alma mater." Should read, "I became notably excited about this development at my alma mater."

Posted by: Dell | Jan 8, 2013 6:09:32 PM