I'm Gay | Jim Nabors | News | Television

'Gomer Pyle' Actor Jim Nabors Comes Out as Gay, Marries Longtime Partner in Seattle: VIDEO

Nabors

Actor Jim Nabors, who played 'Gomer Pyle' in the classic 60's sitcom of the same name, has come out of the closet after years of speculation, in an announcement that he married his partner of 38 years, Stan Cadwallader, in Seattle on Jan 15, Hawaii News Now reports:

PyleNabors declined an on-camera interview but spoke to Hawaii News Now by phone.

"I'm 82 and he's in his 60s and so we've been together for 38 years and I'm not ashamed of people knowing, it's just that it was such a personal thing, I didn't tell anybody," Nabors said. "I'm very happy that I've had a partner of 38 years and I feel very blessed.  And, what can I tell you, I'm just very happy."

Nabors said he and Cadwallader traveled to Washington state, where gay marriages became legal in early December 2012. They were married at the Fairmont Olympic Hotel in Seattle.

A judge performed the marriage ceremony in the privacy of their hotel room with a couple of friends who live down the street from them near Diamond Head as witnesses, Nabors said.

Before they were married, Nabors said, "It's pretty obvious that we had no rights as a couple, yet when you've been together 38 years, I think something's got to happen there, you've got to solidify something.  And at my age, it's probably the best thing to do."

Nabors indicated that he plans to continue living a very private life and would not become a marriage activist.

Nabors was the subject of a longtime rumor that he had 'married' Rock Hudson. Hudson said that the urban legend was started by  "middle-aged homosexuals who live in Huntington Beach" who sent out a joke invitation to their marriage, which blew up into something that a few people started to take seriously. It reportedly damaged their relationship forever.

Watch the HNN report and interview with Nabors, AFTER THE JUMP...

Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Comments

1. RATBASTARD: why are you bringing you Kiwi in a thread he hasn't even posted in? You really need to get over it. The song you are singing is geting old. Get over yourselves.

Posted by: DAN | Jan 30, 2013 2:09:37 PM

2. awwwwww-dorable!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 30, 2013 2:11:48 PM

3. @DAN: The big differences between this and Jodie Foster's speech at the Golden Globes are: 1) Nabors did not insult everyone who HAD come out early, clearly and proudly, as Foster did, and 2) Nabors didn't come out while in the next breath singing the praises of a racist, misogynist, antisemitic homophobe like Mel Gibson, which Foster also did. You are clearly being disingenuous by pretending not to see the differences in the two situations.

Posted by: thomasina | Jan 30, 2013 3:06:00 PM

4. 1) She wasn't insulting people who came out earlier, she was making a comment on the CELEBRITY world we live in, the reality show based culture and how she did not open her life to the spectacle of a reality show, i.e. the Honey Boo Boo's and Kardashian's of the world. "I'm told every celebrity is supposed to honor the details of their private life with a press conference, a fragrance and a primteime reality show." CELEBRITY, not gay celebrity. Where did she say anything about those who came out before her? She DID NOT say anything about people who came out before her, she was talking about herself and how she values HER privacy. Go back and watch the clip. Quit reading into things that are not there!

2) She DID NOT sing Mel's praises. She thanked him...barely. "Mel Gibson, you know you saved me too." That's all she said. Look, Mel is an a**. We get it. But, you DO NOT know what is going on in their relationship. There are many celebrities who have questionable friends. There are many on this board who I'm sure have questionable friends. If we were all judged based on our friends are I'm sure many of you would be kicked out of the gay club as well.

You are the one being disingenuous. Go back and watch the video. You're are seeing things that weren't even there, or you're are just making it up to suit your dislike of her.

Posted by: DAN | Jan 30, 2013 4:08:07 PM

5. I know I made a spelling error in the last sentence. Please don't take away my gay card because of it.

Posted by: DAN | Jan 30, 2013 4:10:43 PM

6. Sorry, Dan, too many "are"s. You're only allowed one. Shred the card now. :-)

Posted by: ernest1960 | Jan 30, 2013 4:30:34 PM

7. LOL that's what I meant...should have taken the "'re" off of "you're". Double the are's (and don't we wish we had double the arse! Ha Ha).

Posted by: DAN | Jan 30, 2013 4:34:41 PM

8. Cheers for Jim and Stan. I'm too young to remember Gomer Pyle, but this video shows Jim had moves back then... wonder where he learned them? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=905jIRRhucw

Posted by: J.M. | Jan 30, 2013 6:23:15 PM

9. Congratulations guys! But I don't think that there are many people in the country who didn't know that Jim Nabors is gay.

Posted by: andrew | Jan 30, 2013 6:28:51 PM

10. this is so sweet.....I remember the mean spirited rumors about Jim Nabors and Rock Hudson... I am so glad Nabors has had a partner all these years....the best to both of them

Posted by: Bernie | Jan 30, 2013 6:51:48 PM

11. Well I for one am TOTALLY shocked by this revelation. Who would have thought it about Jim Nabors? GOLL-L-L-LY!!!

Posted by: Floridad | Jan 30, 2013 8:26:21 PM

12. If he valued his "privacy" (closet cough-cough) so much, why did he even participate in a phone interview? What non-story. Yawn.

I agree with icstud: why didn't he come forward when he could have made a difference? Like when the majority of the USA knew who he was—at the apex of his career, not the nadir.

Posted by: guest | Jan 30, 2013 9:36:20 PM

13. In other news, it gets cold in Alaska.

Posted by: David Hearne | Jan 30, 2013 10:32:24 PM