Brian Brown | Fred Karger | Gay Marriage | News | NOM

NOM President Brian Brown Paid More Than $500,000 a Year to Destroy the Lives of Others

Activist Fred Karger, of Rights Equal Rights, reminds us in an email sent yesterday that NOM President Brian Brown is rolling in cash. Karger made the note after several attempts to get a copy of the 2011 501(c)3 tax return of the National Organization for Marriage (NOM):

BrownMaybe they don’t want us to know that NOM President Brian Brown made over $500,000 dollars in 2011.  He was paid $230,000 by NOM’s political operation where he claimed to work a minimum of 40 hours per week, and another whopping $230,000 from NOM’s Educational Fund where he claimed to work another 40 hours per week.  Add $47,000 in benefits and you have the “Half Million Dollar Man.”

NOM staff ran away from Karger when he went to their offices:

“When I went to the NOM Office a few days ago, the NOM staff literally ran away from me when I asked for a copy of their 501(c)3 tax return, which must be made available to the public,” said Fred Karger, founder of Rights Equal Rights and longtime NOM watchdog.

“One staffer leaving the office immediately ducked into the waiting elevator and wouldn’t respond to my request for the tax return.  I then rang the office doorbell (their door is locked tight); another staffer came to the door, wouldn’t open it and yelled out, ‘it’s on our web site!’  While standing there in disbelief, a minute later another NOM staff member, probably coming back from lunch, saw me and ran into the NOM office slamming the door behind him.”

NOM is on the losing end of its battle to stop gay marriage and Brian Brown and Maggie Gallagher are just working now for all the money they’re pulling in.  “It’s pure greed, plain and simple,” added Karger.  “They are living the good life of the ‘One Percent’ while claiming to work 80 hours a week to destroy the lives of others.”

“We’ve seen their sleazy internal documents thanks to all the hard work of the State of Maine Attorney General’s office and the Maine Ethics Commission, who have been investigating NOM and Brian Brown for 3 ½ years on my charges of money laundering.  This investigation is a result of a sworn complaint we filed against NOM back in August 2009.”

Tax returns online here.

Comments

1. This is typical of most charities. The law only requires 10% of funding actually go to the stipulated cause, and even then oversight is very lax.

Posted by: anon | Jan 31, 2013 4:42:36 PM

2. "Yes, it kind of is a tad life-destroying when your spouse's ability to stay in this country is in the hands of one lousy, slave-driving employer who knows he holds the nuts with the H1B visa."

Which Senate Democrats appear to be perfectly fine with.....

Posted by: Rick | Jan 31, 2013 4:49:04 PM

3. Neither Brian or Mary cares about protecting marriage. They care about inflicting their unhappiness on others while fattening themselves and their wallets.

@Rick: Not my Senate Democrats. Married binational same-sex couples in my state are still in the U.S. because of them. What are your Republicans doing?

Posted by: Ernie | Jan 31, 2013 4:57:02 PM

4. I'm much happier with my $12 an hour job than to be in this clown's position. What some people will do for money.

Posted by: Will | Jan 31, 2013 5:13:05 PM

5. Many non-profits are scams.And the manner in which many non-profits operate is scandalous. No wonder so many people think twice about donating. I know the CEO salary of one homeless non-profit here is over $300,000., and he also gets other perks. Meanwhile, they beg and beg and beg for essentials.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 31, 2013 5:21:10 PM

6. "Neither Brian or Mary cares about protecting marriage."

Ernie, I think you meant Maggie, not Mary! I hope that wasn't a Freudian slip!

Posted by: Mary | Jan 31, 2013 5:24:07 PM

7. You're right, sorry, Mary! Oops, my Freudian slip is showing. Must be cause I saw NullNaught's name right before penning my comment, and I was remembering your understandable concern for his mental health in comment threads of yore.

Posted by: Ernie | Jan 31, 2013 5:36:13 PM

8. "Corpulent" pretty much covers everything about NOM, Bryan Brown and their salaries in all it's connotations.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jan 31, 2013 6:03:47 PM

9. "Corpulent" pretty much covers everything about NOM, Bryan Brown and their salaries in all it's connotations"

Yes, I've noticed this also. Many of the famous people working professionally against gay rights are quite plump - and it isn't just the people at NOM. Maybe they have secret gay urges that they squelch with food? At any rate, it's something they should think about. Isn't gluttony a sin?

Posted by: Mary | Jan 31, 2013 8:24:25 PM

10. RICK is my favorite because he makes everybody mad, ERNIE'S my favorite because he always makes sense, MARY's my favorite because she's always nice, KIWI's my favorite because he's awful. Towleroad is a roller-coaster with a thrill a minute.

Posted by: UFFDA | Feb 1, 2013 2:06:19 AM

11. Fred Karger was a Republican candidate for President in 2008 and did a LOT to promote acceptance of gays all over the Country while skewering the bigotry of many of his opponents. Amazing work from a selfless lawyer who has been out of the closet for under 10 years for the rights and domestic peace of taxes paying American citizens who happen to be Gay/Lesbian...

Posted by: SCVMoke | Feb 1, 2013 3:39:46 AM

12. I don't know MATTMAN (he must fall down a lot!) but I don't like him!

Posted by: SCVMoke | Feb 1, 2013 3:40:53 AM

13. Fred Karger proves that some whores are much bigger than others.

Posted by: Bill Michael | Feb 1, 2013 5:39:04 AM

14. Actually, unless there is a separate 990 for the NOM "Educational" Foundation, it DOES seem that Fred Karger double-counted the $230K a year -- close to a quarter-million dollars -- that this wretch pays himself to interfere with the lives of people whom he doesn't even know.

I suspect that the two large anonymous donors are "charitable" organizations, one of which historically has believed that marriage is between one man and one woman ... and another woman ... and another woman .... and the other of which believes that the only forms of acceptable human sexuality is that which treats women like dairy cattle or statutory rape of youngsters if practiced by fellow clergy.

Posted by: EdA | Feb 1, 2013 8:55:28 AM

15. $47K in Benefits? WTF?!
    I thought these right wing nut-bars were dead against 'spongers' and 'takers'.

Posted by: Peter Hargmier | Feb 1, 2013 9:06:21 AM

16. It has been reported that NOM is 90% funded by two donors. Will these two still invest in NOM after this PR stain? Does Fred K. know the NOM funders [yet]?

Posted by: Marco Luxe | Feb 1, 2013 2:35:59 PM

17. "I don't know MATTMAN (he must fall down a lot!) but I don't like him!"

Why would I fall down a lot SCVMOKE? Why should I care if you like me?

Posted by: MATTMAN | Feb 1, 2013 8:46:39 PM

18. On the tax return, it shows 1 donor who contributed approx. $2.3M, and 1 donor who contributed $2.4M. The names are redacted so who knows who they are (perhaps religious organizations?). Then, there's 1 for $250K and 1 for $150K. There are just a few more but they're all much lower with most around $5K each. It seems they were supported mainly by just 2 entities. Hardly seems like the "national organization" they claim.

Posted by: Victor | Feb 1, 2013 11:26:33 PM

19. Interesting how Maggie earns $90K less than Brian. They really are not about equality at all and all about keeping it traditional.

Posted by: free keys nod32 | May 7, 2014 7:51:36 AM