Nature | News | Norway | Polar Bears

BigGayDeal.com

What It's Like When a Polar Bear Sees You as Lunch: VIDEO

Polarbear

BBC wildlife cameraman Gordon Buchanan spent a harrowing 40 minutes inside a safety box in Svalbard in arctic Norway as a hungry bear he was shooting tried to pry the box he was in apart with its teeth and claws. The segment is airing on BBC as part of the series The Polar Bear Family & Me.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Yummy... lunchbox!

Grrr...

Posted by: lewlew | Jan 4, 2013 2:11:11 PM

2. Well, duh. Polar bears are strong, vicious, man-eaters. We see images of stuffed animals and smiling polar bears in Coke commercials and think, "Awwww....they are so cute!" We have a tendency to think that a cute -looking animal is safe. Not so. In fact, a Panda will also rip your face off. If you want a cuddly live bear, stick to a Koala.

Posted by: Gr8guyca | Jan 4, 2013 2:14:35 PM

3. Can't blame the bear, I'd break into that lunch box with him in there too. Does this count as bear on bear action?

Posted by: RONTEX | Jan 4, 2013 2:15:43 PM

4. That bear needs a can opener.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jan 4, 2013 2:19:38 PM

5. I love nature documentaries, but loath with a passion these nature photographers/celebrity wannabees who have to put themselves on camera and then talk non-stop about how much danger their idiocy allegedly puts them in. That bear was never going to get into that box. Ever. It's just ginned up drama for TV.

Posted by: Kyle | Jan 4, 2013 2:35:55 PM

6. The interesting question is how they tested the box before putting this guy in it to make sure that a bear couldn't break through. Guess they could have put some meat in the box instead, The film crew probably had a guy there with a high powered rifle just in case things got out of hand.

I'm not sure I'd want to be in there if the testing consisted of only a computer-based analysis or simulation using the strength of various materials - who wants to end up being eaten by a bear due to a software bug!

Posted by: Bill | Jan 4, 2013 2:38:54 PM

7. @GR8GUYCA: Not so much on the koalas being cute and friendly either. They eat dumb tourists for lunch:

If I was the camera guy in the polar bear video I would have not passed up the chance to "boop" the Polar Bear's nose.

Posted by: AJ | Jan 4, 2013 2:43:10 PM

8. this is terrible. this bear is just hungry... I kind of wish it got into the box and chewed this dude up.

Posted by: Matt K. | Jan 4, 2013 2:58:54 PM

9. this is kind of how i look/act at 4am when i'm drunk, starving and really need to get into a mcdonalds.

Posted by: joe | Jan 4, 2013 4:04:01 PM

10. OMG, I know just how he feels! I was mauled once by a "polar bear" in a piano bar!

But at least he didn't have to listen to a dozen queens singing show-tunes during HIS near-death experience. I still can't hear "Everything's Coming Up Roses" without bursting into tears!

Posted by: Caliban | Jan 4, 2013 4:10:05 PM

11. i had a dream this morning similar to this involving a tiger. but no cage :(

Posted by: gomez | Jan 4, 2013 4:19:09 PM

12. @GR8GUYCA: I don't think there are many people confused about whether polar bears are dangerous. I get your point, but I'd say most people just aren't that stupid.

And I totally agree about the point made that these celebrity naturists can't seem to stay behind the camera.

Posted by: FancyPants | Jan 4, 2013 4:37:31 PM

13. @ Caliban: That sounds like good times at Eighty-Eight's! Oh, the memories...

Such a cute puppy bear. I'm sure she just wanted to play. Can't blame her, though, that is one tasty Scotsman.

Posted by: hugo | Jan 4, 2013 5:09:25 PM

14. A northern guide friend of mine said that they had open food in the box to attract the bears.

Posted by: thrutch | Jan 4, 2013 6:54:23 PM

15. Great,torment a hungry animal for ratings!

Posted by: greenfuzz | Jan 4, 2013 9:23:30 PM

16. Bah. He's safer in that box than on a big city street at night.

Posted by: grego | Jan 6, 2013 2:58:27 AM

17. @AJ
    "Hey Bear! Imma boop your noose!"
    *BOOP*
    *holds pressure on spurting stumps of fingers* LOLZ

Posted by: Book | Jan 6, 2013 5:43:49 PM

18. So, what's in my Bento today?

Posted by: RJP | Jan 6, 2013 11:43:22 PM