Chris Culliver | Football (American) | News

San Francisco 49er Chris Culliver on Anti-Gay Remarks: 'I Apologize to Those I Have Hurt and Offended'

San Francisco 49er Chris Culliver has released a statement regarding anti-gay remarks he made in a radio interview on Tuesday, ESPN reports:

Culliver"The derogatory comments I made yesterday were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel," he said in the statement. "It has taken me seeing them in print to realize that they are hurtful and ugly. Those discriminating feelings are truly not in my heart. Further, I apologize to those who I have hurt and offended, and I pledge to learn and grow from this experience."

Culliver planned to formally address his remarks at a news conference during the 49ers' media availability Thursday morning, according to his personal public relations representative, Theodore Palmer.

"Chris is very apologetic for any harm caused to anyone," Palmer told The Associated Press in a phone interview. "His intent was not that at all. He is one who celebrates the differences of others. All of this was just a big mistake. It was interpreted wrong."

EARLIER...
San Francisco 49er Chris Culliver: Gays Not Welcome in the Locker Room or the NFL - AUDIO

Comments

1. This is hysterical.

Do they expect ANYONE to believe he even read the statement, let alone authored it?

Posted by: Anon | Jan 30, 2013 9:41:25 PM

2. These dumb jocks really should learn to keep their mouths shut( and we all know that usually these no-gay-in-the-lockeroom bigots are hiding some down low action )

Posted by: jaragon | Jan 30, 2013 9:41:37 PM

3. On behalf of myself and at least 3 other people: F*ck You.

Posted by: beef and fur | Jan 30, 2013 9:42:49 PM

4. Oh i am sorry. It was my fault, my gay-self interpreted all wrong. It was all my fault !

Posted by: MalaysianHo | Jan 30, 2013 9:55:22 PM

5. This is a great opportunity for this idiot to meet some gay families and really understand how stupid and hurtful his comments were.

Posted by: Josh | Jan 30, 2013 9:57:46 PM

6. He is sexy

Posted by: Marky | Jan 30, 2013 9:59:07 PM

7. ok... i dont know who any of these sports guys even are. but i get his mindset. since his is kindo of a nobody to me i can easily move on...

now what bugs me though is that there are more than likely gays on his team. and they said nothing. gotta keep on the downlow.

Thats who I am angry at.

Posted by: Homo Genius | Jan 30, 2013 10:02:21 PM

8. These apologies come from a PR firm, but at least the words and intentions are the way they should be. This is progress in my short lifetime.

I may not live long enough to have him say these thoughts are no longer in his head, but as long as he keeps it to himself, I can go on.

A fine and/or suspension would have been in order.

Posted by: Fahd | Jan 30, 2013 10:05:51 PM

9. did anybody else find it very humorous the ad for 49er's gear right next to this story. what do they think we should now turn dollars over to this bigot?

Posted by: walter | Jan 30, 2013 10:07:24 PM

10. more reason to be a ravens fan this year

Posted by: jayjay | Jan 30, 2013 10:08:23 PM

11. So HOMO GENIUS, why would one of those team mates come out when bigots like him are going to make his life miserable? What is the incentive to come out? Just so you can feel better? You are angry at the imaginary gay person but not the person with the anti-gay mindset? A genius you ain't.

Posted by: BETTY | Jan 30, 2013 10:11:52 PM

12. Guys (and Gals): calm down. He probably feels like Gerard Depardieu's character in La Placard (a homophobe who tries to be nice to a supposedly gay employee out of fear of losing his job, after the supposedly gay employee came out of a closet he never went into): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHyMHzrBN84 has the trailer. It is a cute film. Gerard Depardieu does a wonderful job of playing a guy who is trying to be sensitive when he's really just a mindless oaf. There is only one gay character in it: a neighborly 75 year old guy who is simply helpful and supportive.

This is just the start. Next they'll no doubt send him to "diversity training," which he'll find so painful that he'll never say another unkind word in public. The 49ers won't tell you that, though, because generally personnel matters are kept confidential. They'll need a bit of lead time - to put him in the next scheduled class. Sending people with such "issues" to "diversity training" is kind of standard in this area. They'll probably start it after the superbowl.

Posted by: Bill | Jan 30, 2013 10:16:28 PM

13. he plays for a team in one of, if not THE, most gay-friendly city IN THE ENTIRE WORLD, and he says something so completely idiotic. he truly deserves the sh*tstorm, and then some.

Posted by: calif dreamin | Jan 30, 2013 10:28:06 PM

14. I hope the SF fans are relentless in their teasing of him.

Posted by: David Hearne | Jan 30, 2013 10:30:59 PM

15. I'm gay and a lifelong 49ers fan. I hope that people direct their anger at Chris and not the team.

The team is extremely supportive of gay people and equality. Last year, the Niners became the first (and only) NFL team to make a "It Gets Better" video. Four brave players appeared in the clip and spoke from the heart and tolerance. Just last week, head coach Jim Harbaugh told Out Sports that he would have no problem with gay players on the team. The Niners would never have lasted this long in San Francisco if they were not supportive of gay people!

Obviously, the PR team wrote the apology. And obviously, the team reprimanded him internally. They are doing the best they can to make up for an uneducated player who was clearly never hired to articulate positions on gay rights!

It would be a true shame if the outburst of one idiot overshadows everything the team has done FOR YEARS to support equality.

Posted by: Isaiah | Jan 30, 2013 10:51:28 PM

16. I wish he hadn't apologized. If that's how he feels, then that's how he feels. All these apologies now are just disingenuous pandering and showboating to the liberal left. He's not sorry and I don't need him to be. Be man enough to stand by your words.

Posted by: EnRanc | Jan 30, 2013 10:55:09 PM

17. @ISAIAH.... The team may not have made the offensive comments. But, they aren't handling the response to the comments very well. The player hasn't been suspended. And, for all we know the player hasn't been disciplined at all. Certainly if there was any reprimand by the team, they could make it public. The did so with another player just one month ago when that player made comments about the team and the coaches. That player was suspended and the disciplinary actions taken were made public. So, as far as I can see, the team deserves some bad press for their poor handling of this situation.

Posted by: anonymous | Jan 30, 2013 10:59:13 PM

18. It must me hell for him to go through life with all the issues he has and be "IG-NIT". Any person regardless of their education level who are "secure" with their own sexuality, have no problem with anyone else's sexual preference.

Posted by: ALEX | Jan 30, 2013 11:05:43 PM

19. "showboating to the liberal left"? No, how about showboating to people who think this way of thinking is outdated. You don't have to be a "liberal" to realize his comments were stupid. People who support gay rights are not exclusively liberals...they come from every spectrum of ideology, heck, even some republicans believe in gay rights. Got it RICK, I mean ENRAC?

Posted by: BETTY | Jan 30, 2013 11:08:48 PM

20. @ ANONYMOUS - This episode is loaded and clouds everybody's reactions. My point is what the team was doing BEFORE this happened. Despite how they chose to respond to a PR crisis, the fact is the San Francisco 49ers is the only team that was voluntarily fighting for gay equality BEFORE any of this happened.

You don't suspend your nickel cornerback 4 days before the Superbowl over some foolish comment. Let's keep it real.

Posted by: Isaiah | Jan 30, 2013 11:13:05 PM

21. @BETTY. Yes...SHOWBOATING.TO.THE.LIBERAL.LEFT. Because it's only the liberal left who gets bent out of shape about things like this, and refuses to let it drop until the story has been squeezed for every ounce of juice its worth. If this story had been published at any moderate news blog, the comments and reactions would have been much more varied (in other words, some would not be nearly as irked by his remarks, and some would have even defended them) than they are here and at blogs that tend to pander left. Sure, not everyone agrees with his sentiments...but not everyone DISagrees with them either...and then there are some who don't care.

And Rick? LOL! I'm not Rick, and I welcome any moderator here to check my IP address against his to verify that. Quite frankly it's weak that any time someone says something that someone else disagrees with, they immediately start in with the "You're so and so under a different name." Yeah, you go ahead and believe that if it'll make what I said less difficult for you to cope with.

My position stands. He shouldn't have apologized for his comments, if that's how he feels...especially since the "apology" was obviously written by someone else for PR damage control. Maybe you like people being phony with their statements, I don't particularly care for it.

Posted by: EnRanc | Jan 30, 2013 11:26:16 PM

22. @ISAIAH.... If they aren't willing to suspend this guy or announce to the public what, if any, disciplinary action they have taken, then it's hard to take their previous actions seriously. They can make an "It Gets Better" video, but if things only "get better" when it's easy for them and not when it's difficult, what's the point? Your values aren't your values if you only apply them when it's convenient. You can't just talk the talk, you have to walk the walk as well.

Posted by: anonymous | Jan 30, 2013 11:42:35 PM

23. What a dumbass

Posted by: Andy | Jan 30, 2013 11:53:43 PM

24. My point ENRAC is that it isn't just the "liberal left" who think his comments were stupid. You have a thing against liberals, we get it, good for you, but don't patronize everyone and say only the liberal left thought this bozo said some stupid things. Don't assume that everyone who reads this blog are solely liberal lefts. Anybody with half a brain would be "irked" by the ignorance he put on display, left, center or moderate republican.

Oh, and I've seen the "varied" comments on moderate sites...the anti-gay vitriol is just shining through...just as it has for Jim Nabors coming out. It's a proud day. Sarcasm.

As for comments on this site not being "varied" enough for your senses...what exactly did you expect? This is a GAY site and he made anti-gay comments! DUH! You want us to throw him a party!? Pat him on the back? When somebody makes stupid comments about gay people don't be suprised when the comments on a gay site aren't sunshine and lollipops!

Posted by: BETTY | Jan 31, 2013 12:09:02 AM

25. But now he writes what he feels, right? Did he actually write the statement? Well I hope he learnt something.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 31, 2013 12:35:01 AM