Chris Culliver | Football (American) | News

San Francisco 49er Chris Culliver on Anti-Gay Remarks: 'I Apologize to Those I Have Hurt and Offended'

San Francisco 49er Chris Culliver has released a statement regarding anti-gay remarks he made in a radio interview on Tuesday, ESPN reports:

Culliver"The derogatory comments I made yesterday were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel," he said in the statement. "It has taken me seeing them in print to realize that they are hurtful and ugly. Those discriminating feelings are truly not in my heart. Further, I apologize to those who I have hurt and offended, and I pledge to learn and grow from this experience."

Culliver planned to formally address his remarks at a news conference during the 49ers' media availability Thursday morning, according to his personal public relations representative, Theodore Palmer.

"Chris is very apologetic for any harm caused to anyone," Palmer told The Associated Press in a phone interview. "His intent was not that at all. He is one who celebrates the differences of others. All of this was just a big mistake. It was interpreted wrong."

EARLIER...
San Francisco 49er Chris Culliver: Gays Not Welcome in the Locker Room or the NFL - AUDIO

Comments

1. BULL! BULL! BULL! BULL! BULL!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: USC Trojans | Jan 31, 2013 12:48:59 AM

2. At a certain point..the gay community needs to say enough is enough. These bigoted homophobic words these athletes CONSTANTLY spew perpetuate intimidation of gays and directly leads to our death. They are heard as gospel by their fans.

We can't keep letting each one slide.

Take these bigots to task.

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Jan 31, 2013 12:50:32 AM

3. It's especially troubling that we gays are the most targetted group in terms of hate speech. No other demographic has to deal with daily reports of public figures/athletes coming out against them with hateful vile words. We just have to sit back, take in the PR publicist apology then move on. I'm sick of it, frankly.

Posted by: Gio | Jan 31, 2013 12:51:53 AM

4. I'm sick of these apologies every day. You changed your position in less than 15 hours? Or you're sorry you got caught?
    I agree with others, we as a community need to start holding careless homophobia accountable and not being so quick to say "whatev" when faced with constant societal bigotry like this.

Posted by: Duration & Convexity | Jan 31, 2013 12:53:00 AM

5. Manufactured publicist apology. How many of these have we sat through?
    this will be forgotten in a few days, because we allow it to continue happening as a community.
    picture it: he said this about latinos. Or Jews. Or religious folk.

You do realize there would be massive protests outside the superbowl stadium by said groups above? And would send a loud & clear message to bigots to reevaluate their bigotry.

With our community? we seem okay with a publicist polished robotic apology. For shame.

Until we demand people respect us, they'll never respect our rights.

Posted by: Amir CO | Jan 31, 2013 12:56:06 AM

6. clearly we as a community are not doing something right if every other day a huge prominent athlete is going off on us in some interview or twitter rant.
    either we're way too soft when it comes to sending the message that their words impact the treatment of LGBT youth, or we're just plain complacent. I agree with many comments stating that had he said he wouldn't welcome any other group of people on his team and in the locker room, there would be national outrage and I'm pretty sure any athlete would think twice to be so proudly ignorant.

Posted by: Jestina | Jan 31, 2013 12:59:09 AM

7. I don't know. I really think his comments were one of the worst I've seen of any athlete in quite some time. And I'm a huge sports fan, and visit out sports religiously. Gay slurs are awful, but his comments went WAY beyond gay slurs. He suggested gays be shunned from every day aspects of life, their livelihood, and attempted to essentially threaten any current & future player. When you really stand back and examine his comments, they are pretty powerful in their intolerance. Like 1945 kind of intolerant.

Posted by: Art Smith | Jan 31, 2013 1:03:32 AM

8. As a gay, black man. His comments hurt the GLBT black community most. You wanna know how damaging putting that ish out to impressionable kids is? and you wanna know how many kids who look up to him will now get violent around an identifiable gay kid. Not trying to discredit homophobia faced by white peeps, but this clowns comments hurts gay kids in inner cities more than you will ever imagine. and that's just being real.

Posted by: Kevin | Jan 31, 2013 1:06:05 AM

9. Sorry 49ers. You're gonna have to do better than that.

His comments came from a real nasty place, and the city, notably the LGBT community has supported your organization for way too many years to let this one slide.

If done effectively (by local LGBT groups, media, and the team) this can be used as a major teachable moment. They owe it to the city. And this better not just be swept under the rug in 24 hours. His words were way too heavy.

Posted by: OBSERVER | Jan 31, 2013 1:08:15 AM

10. Do the 49ers truly think that we believe this "apology" statement is his words? Not only did he do a remarkable 180 on how he feels, but also mastered the English language... all within 24 hours!

From: " We don't got no gay people on the team..they gotta get up out of here if they do."

To: "The derogatory comments I made yesterday were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel. It has taken me seeing them in print to realize that they are hurtful and ugly. Those discriminating feelings are truly not in my heart. Further, I apologize to those who I have hurt and offended, and I pledge to learn and grow from this experience."

Not remotely believable and certainly not enough -- stronger action must be taken by Sunday.

Posted by: jazznjavasf | Jan 31, 2013 1:10:02 AM

11. @ Art

I agree. Look, there's homophobic terms and then there's blatant in your face prejudice. Saying gays need to stay closeted or else, and that you don't want to be around them, and basically sending a message that they should not be hired ....goes a little beyond "I said a stupid derogatory term" and goes to a whole new level of ....well, supreme prejudice. That needs to be discussed here and not just kicked aside.

Posted by: T.J | Jan 31, 2013 1:12:25 AM

12. ENRANC = RIC/RATBASTARD

Pass it on!

Posted by: Truth 101 | Jan 31, 2013 1:25:10 AM

13. Just ask yourself: had he said this about any other segment of our population, imagine how much more stiff and public his punishment would be.
    Why should gay people, in a climate where they are legally fired for being gay in 30 states, have to put up with this so consistently? Why?
    Why is bigotry for our people less outrageous than bigotry expressed toward others?
    49ers, please do the right thing and state in a more vocal manner how wrong this was. A pseudo intelligent-phony public relations letter isn't nearly enough.

Posted by: ProudLatinoinSoCal | Jan 31, 2013 1:29:22 AM

14. It's crazy that days before the largest athletic event in our country, in 2013, we have to hear how one of the star athletes can't stand to be around gay people in a professional setting. 2013.

To those of you who say homophobia is just completely being eliminated in this nation; please don't get complacent. There is so much more work to be done.

Posted by: BlogsPost | Jan 31, 2013 1:31:12 AM

15. Are these publicist apologies after the fact, starting to get insulting to anyone else or is it just me?

None of them actually truly delve into homophobia, or taking steps to resolve homophobia, or asking others to confront their homophobia. Most don't even mention anything to do with homophobia. Just a generic "I'm sorry you're offended"
    I'm really growing tired of this, and am starting to find it ridiculous now.

Posted by: TX Idol | Jan 31, 2013 1:33:33 AM

16. Oh sweet f*cking Jesus. When I read the first story I knew they're be an apology in the near future. Of sorts.

And I knew ahead of time that, unless Chris Culliver was going to break the mold, which I doubted, the apology would put the onus of blame on those who were offended. Here's what it boils down to: "I'm sorry you got your little feelings hurt."

Eh. In a way I blame the media. Those who make it to the NFL are a fraction within a fraction of those who play the game in HS or college. It doesn't make them smart, just talented within a narrow, physical range. Not even smart enough to keep his trap shut, apparently.

Why do reporters ask athletes or actors and actresses to comment on current affairs anyway? Football players, from pee-wee leagues to High School to college, are not known for being a brain trust.

Why not just ask the Pope about panty-girdles while you're at it?

Posted by: Caliban | Jan 31, 2013 1:39:25 AM

17. This idiot actually graduated from college ?....He be an embarrassment to dat skool !

Posted by: Mark | Jan 31, 2013 1:48:34 AM

18. How is Culliver sorry? He's laughing about the incident on twitter. And did so just a few hours ago. I mean, these sports agents should at least try to keep it real with these fake @$$ apologies.

Posted by: Persian-prince | Jan 31, 2013 1:57:12 AM

19. @ Persian-Prince
    LOL that's what I'm saying. One look at his twitter feed, and not only is he not sorry, he finds it all amusing and really doesn't seem to care at all about his hate laced wording.

Posted by: Siox | Jan 31, 2013 1:58:18 AM

20. Really? You just made comments about not wanting to be around gay teammates, how the idea of them bothers you, and all but threatened any gay teammates from coming out and just a few short hours later you've reached this new whole sense of change? Your words were wayyy too bigoted to change in a few hours. That kind of bigotry takes far more exposure and experience to truly heal and change. And that's being honest.

Posted by: cejo | Jan 31, 2013 2:00:32 AM

21. Those aren't his words. They come directly from a PR firm that this bigot Christ hired because he wants to be in the Super Bowl.

I say FIRE Chris Culliver!

He is SO stupid to not realize that in 2013 it is no longer acceptable to discriminate against gays just like in 2013 it is no longer acceptable discriminate against blacks.

I think it's time this guy gets a clue ... CHRIS KLUWE!

Posted by: FunMe | Jan 31, 2013 2:28:34 AM

22. "Thoughts in my head, but not how I feel" What a load of sh@t!!!

Posted by: andrew | Jan 31, 2013 2:54:47 AM

23. Another reason to root big for the Ravens. Dumb bigoted football players make great "traditional marriage" reps. I hope San Francisco locals take a huge crap on this dude.

His cookie cutter apology...NOT accepted!

Posted by: anony6 | Jan 31, 2013 3:01:19 AM

24. WHAT A CROCK! There is not one ounce of sincerity coming from that written statement of Chris Culliver. It was definitely prepared by his sports agent and/or publicist (every celebrity and athlete has one). Moreover, Chris's original interview was filled with extremely poor communication language as compared to this properly written apology. And I can conclude his deep-seated homophobia has not wavered in the least.

Posted by: Sam | Jan 31, 2013 3:04:41 AM

25. San Francisco is not gay-friendly, it is permissive-friendly. It welcomes haters as much as it does lovers.

It has no principles based on morality. This is why permissiveness always leads to destruction of society, including the destruction of our rights as gay people.

Posted by: jason | Jan 31, 2013 3:07:35 AM