News | Shaquille O'Neal

Don't Pee Next to Shaquille O'Neal

Etiquette

On his Facebook page yesterday, Shaquille O'Neal posted a cartoon about proper restroom etiquette featuring two men, one of whom is depicted striding in a swishy manner, relieving themselves at adjacent urinals, telling his followers what he would do should he encounter such a situation:

This is an automatic fight in my book.....LMFAO.

The posting has prompted more than 1,015 comments, a majority of them homophobic. Though he may have not intended it, the post, which points out a common men's room faux pas avoided by straight and gay men alike, has encouraged and produced hateful dialogue against the latter.

O'Neals' Facebook page has more than 3,250,000 likes.

Comments

1. I read through all the comments. I'd say about 35%-ish were homophobic. It wasn't as homophobic as I thought it would be, for better or worse. It was really sophomoric, though. Very sophomoric. It also highlights how insecure guys are in this country.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 3, 2013 3:11:55 PM

2. Although the post spawned stupid homophobic comments, I 100% agree with him, penis envy aside, it's one of the most awkward things being at a urinal and the other person doesn't respect the space rule.

Posted by: Bryan | Jan 3, 2013 3:53:21 PM

3. Poor Shaq! Whadda loser! He should check out this pic for for a view of how a real unafraid, liberated, straight dudes react to a gay boy next to them at the urinal:

Posted by: Jeff | Jan 3, 2013 5:58:41 PM

4. What I find annoying is when people (like Shaquille)claim an arbitrarily-determined amount of public space as their own.
    I was on the subway yesterday and when I saw the person on the inside seat ding the bell I stood up to let him out, and then I moved to that seat so that the outside seat becomes available to any stranger who wants it WITHOUT having to ask me to move my legs.
    Every time I see someone in a crowded coffee shop take up an entire armchair to accommodate her purse or his backpack, I have half a mind to go sit right on it. Are they completely unaware that they are in a public space that gives them the right to ONE seat only?

I've slso seen the odd house with a homemade sign out front saying "Don't park in front of my house." You own the house, not the whole street!

And if I'm using a urinal, I don't pay much attention to which one someone else decides to use. This "code" of acceptable distances is certainly not universal, and random strangers have no way of knowing what your personal "rule" is.

Ironically, Shaquille's response to the Newtown massacre was that "something must be done to protect our children and our communities."
    He (and a few commenters here) seems oblivious to the fact that encouraging his young fans to become violent about anyone violating the tiniest insecurity they have is a part of the problem.
    This attitude is the seed of what could turn a young fan into a future George Zimmerman, first attacking someone because he used a nearby urinal and later in life shooting someone because he feels insecure about his hoodie and skittles.
    Learn to live and let live. Mind your own business and let other people do theirs... in whatever urinal they want to use.

Posted by: GregV | Jan 3, 2013 5:58:55 PM

5. I prefer a 1-2 urinal separation: I get a better view. My eyes don't do as well when we are so close.

Posted by: bravo | Jan 3, 2013 7:42:13 PM

6. I am occasionally in awe on this website at how easily bent out of shape people get. This is one of them.

References to Sandy Hook? Seriously?

I wish there was an anti hysteria spray I could use on same gay men.

Posted by: Kevin B | Jan 3, 2013 9:04:00 PM

7. There was nothing wrong with what Shaq said. Everyone's personal space should be respected in this kind of situation...and if there are MULTIPLE urinals available, you don't choose the one that is next to another man while he's trying to go. That's creepy, rude and suspicious.

This whole "controversy" is beyond STUPID and makes the gay community look like a bunch of over-sensitive whiners who're frankly shellshocked when it comes to "homophobia."

Posted by: Acem | Jan 4, 2013 11:24:53 PM