Alabama | Crime | Derek Shrout | News

Alabama Teen Arrested for Plan to Kill Gay, Black Students and Teacher with Explosives: VIDEO

Shrout

Authorities in Russell County, Alabama have thwarted a planned attack by a high school student and self-declared white supremacist on gay and black classmates, after a teacher found the teen's journal, ABC News reports:

Derek Shrout was arrested Friday after a teacher at Russell County High School found what appears to be the teen's journal and contacted authorities. Police said the journal contained plans to kill six students and one teacher with homemade grenades. Six of the seven individuals were black.

In the journal, police say that Shrout thought the white male on his list was gay.

"That's the reason the white male was on the list. It screams hate crime," Russell County Sheriff Heath Taylor said.

Investigators say Shrout started writing in his journal just three days after a gunman killed 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., on Dec. 14.

"The journal contained several plans that looked like potential terrorist attacks and attacks of violence and danger on the school," Taylor said.

Watch a report from WTVM, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Alabama.

Posted by: dh | Jan 7, 2013 10:28:28 PM

2. Roll Tide?

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Jan 7, 2013 10:53:03 PM

3. Hmm kind of torn. On one hand it is his journal, maybe that's how f**ked up people deal with things sometimes.. On another it's a dangerous threat and needs to be dealt with, and he probably needs a few years of psychiatric help.. Either way it's nice that this boy can get on with his life eventually because he didn't kill anyone.

Posted by: NE1 | Jan 7, 2013 11:27:53 PM

4. 17 years old. Sad.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 8, 2013 12:08:36 AM

5. @Alan:

Oh, it is true. But even if it isn't a majority, there are violent acts by trans thugs directed against gays and, in particular, lesbians. This is news. This deserves to be covered. The majority of straight white males aren't murderers, but when one murders a gay person, it should be covered. The same goes for when a transgender stalks, harasses, terrorizes or attacks a lesbian, as has happened repeatedly over recent months. Why won't Towleroad cover these crimes? It is because it cares more about the ideology of "LGBT" than it does about lesbian lives.

Posted by: Sam | Jan 8, 2013 1:54:25 AM

6. gee Sam, thanks so much for letting us all know about what seems, from your posts, to be an epidemic of violence against gays and lesbians by trans people. Who knew that we are apparently all in mortal danger, all the time, from crazed trans activists? Please keep up your fine reporting from the Pearl Clutching Gazette.

Posted by: antb | Jan 8, 2013 10:42:19 AM

7. @NE1
    I want to know more about this story...maybe it was a real threat, or maybe it really was just him writing hateful but otherwise harmless stories in his journal. I'm not saying he's not full of hate and needs counseling, but is there really enough evidence to try this kid as an adult for terrorism or whatever? There's a real problem with the 'weird kids' getting demonized now in schools. Not saying that is necessarily happening here, but I'd be very wary of post-Newtown hysteria in schools.

(Oh and I agree with the other poster -- Chevel is way cute. Love that LOL shirt!)

Posted by: alex | Jan 8, 2013 10:51:39 AM

8. Sam:

Haved you ever considered a psych evaluation? I think it might be a very good idea which you could benefit greatly from. Thanks for the info about the trans stalkers whom we now know we should live in fear of due to their potential for mass killing and lesbian stalking.

(eyeroll) Seriously, you come off as a nut, Sam. A serious tinfoil hat wearing lunatic. Just my take, but I doubt I'm the only one who sensed there was something amiss with your crazy posts.

Posted by: Jonathan | Jan 8, 2013 11:24:12 AM

9. Who taught this kid that hate? He's young enough to where I still feel sorry for him. I hope he gets help along with his punishment.

Posted by: Fahd | Jan 7, 2013 6:48:02 PM

And folks wonder why queens of color find so many of you white queens so disgustingly hypocritical and racist.

I didn't even see this type of sentiment for a certain ignorant black bisexual rapper here recently.

Posted by: Chitown kev | Jan 8, 2013 1:08:00 PM

10. How many black kids are killed all the time, everyday, USUALLY other other black kids,in America? Anyone know? How many shootings and murders of young adults and kids, mostly 'minority, mostly black, and where the perp is also entirely 'minority', mostly black, in places like Chicago, have occurred over the past year? Black people primarily have to worry about being hurt, including murdered, by other black people, in America, not from whitey. White on black violent crime in the U.S. is almost non-existent, it's so statistically insignificant. And that's reality, the truth, not a racist fantasy.

This kid is obviously mentally ill and/or has a serious personality disorder. He's neither normal or typical in any way. Luckily he was caught. I wonder what pharma drugs he was taking?

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 8, 2013 2:02:38 PM

11. Ratbastard,

you just spoke about Black kids who commit violent crime. Let's talk White kids who commit violent crime. I don't mean White kids like the monster in Newtown Connecticut. I mean the White kids who commit the same kind of crime as the Black kids you spoke about (gang related, drug dealing, drug taking, etc).

You will say that the statistics don't even compare. The violent crime committed by White kids is so much lower. But I still ask, where do those "few" White kids who commit violent crime come from? Generational poverty, Ratbastard, that's where they come from.

Now, imagine if 35% to 40% of White American kids came from generational poverty, ineffective educational systems, and run down neighborhoods. Well, just imagine.

The situation wouldn't be "statistically insignificant" that's for sure.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 8, 2013 2:56:13 PM

12. Ratbastard, what in the hell does black on black crime have to do with this hate crime, here?

Even in that case, white folks like yourself would rather dismiss this as mental illness but if a black kid had done something like this (and they do) then it has something to do with his blackness, the homophobia in the black community, and whatnot (as opposed to the black kid being mentally ill as well).

And I, for one, will go there about black folks and mental illness and how it's perceived so don't even think about it...

and I'm saying that sure, he could be mentally ill; it's also very likely that the white trash society that he's from made him sick...those are the master's tools, in any event...

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Jan 8, 2013 3:00:14 PM

13. @Derrick from Philly,

1) I sympathize with black people [kids or adults], and anyone else who was raised in family afflicted with generational poverty. I really do. I don't come from a well off family myself. That said, WHY is there 'generation' dysfunction and 'poverty' when this effing country has spent TRILLIONS since LBJ's war on poverty and the full scale introduction of our welfare state? And I'm not just targeting black people here. There are of course white multigeneration dysfunctional, 'poverty' stricken families [or more accurately, women with children and no daddy]. But it's by far worse among the so-called African American community.

2) Violent crime is in credibly bad in the so-called African American community, FAR worse than any other demographic group as a whole, even 'Hispanics'. And it's a real fact, not fantasy, that according to records kept by law enforcement and prosecutors in this country black males, who make up around 6% of the population routinely account for more than 50% of homicides, and even higher percentages for other violent crime. This is an unbelievable statistic and people of all 'colors' should be disgusted by it.

@ChitownKev,

I certainly do believe there are black kids, male and female, and adults, who are afflicted with serious mental illnesses, and personality disorders. I personally believe people who are raised in the kind of dysfunctional environments many black kids are raised in are afflicted with legitimate mental illness, certainly PTSD is probably widespread.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 8, 2013 4:27:35 PM

14. A group of blacks killed my father by gang-banging him. Not with gang violence, but their thick penises. My father was then crippled by it and in a wheelchair for years before finally dying of a perforated anus. Even though it was consensual, as he loved taking big black penises inside him, it was still those blacks fault. So I don't like blacks.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 8, 2013 4:31:46 PM

15. @ Ratbastard (the original not the satirical one)

Just admit that you are a racist scum. We know what you're all about. You blame "those uppity negros" for all of your issues with America. You should change your name to RacistBastard. It'd make alot more sense. Scumbag!

Posted by: Audi-owner | Jan 8, 2013 4:36:28 PM

16. No, I speak the truth. Blacks are bad people. To prove it - their refusal to acknowledge that their big penises are the reason my dad is dead. He's dead not because of his love of being penetrated by as many big black penises as possible, but their selfish refusal to remember that even though my late father had a wipe and indeed gaping anus, it is also a caucasian one, which means it should be treated with tenderness and, if possible, lots of Crisco.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 8, 2013 4:40:03 PM

17. And for the record, I am a full-blooded Italian MASCULINE gay man. I make no apologies for that. I also make no apologies for HATING flaming queens who make bitchy,catty,asinine remarks about everything.As well being racist scum and hold a chip on their shoulder with masculine (straight-acting) gay men. I guess that means I hold great contempt for 99% of towleroad readers. *grin*

Posted by: Audi-owner | Jan 8, 2013 4:42:21 PM

18. In fact, I'm so masculine that I have to tell people I'm masculine. Because that's what masculine people do. We tell you we're masculine.

And since I've told you I don't need to prove anything, because proof and facts are for fems.

Posted by: Audi-owner | Jan 8, 2013 4:47:18 PM

19. Perhaps this will be the wake up call that a lot of States need about how their cultures of prejudice and bigotry are a real cancer.

From Alabama's mandatory anti-gay sex-ed (?!) to the barely-veiled racism that still pollutes too many young minds, there's a lot of work that needs to be done.

And it's high-time that intelligent minds stopped pretending that we need to "respect" those specific "differences of opinion" that hinge entirely on disrespecting other minority groups.

YOu cannot defend bigotry and prejudice and then act surprised when that bigotry and prejudice manifests as violence. It's the root.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 8, 2013 4:53:17 PM

20. His Parents had no idea??? Why was a little kid chewing tobacco? Who taught him to hate? The parents!

Posted by: billmiller | Jan 8, 2013 7:48:14 PM