Crime | News | Tacoma | Washington

BigGayDeal.com

Man Jailed for Road Rage Hate Crime: 'I can tell you’re lesbians. I should beat the crap out of you.' - VIDEO

Tacomaattack

LuAnn Branch and Kelli Nichols of Vashon Island were driving through Tacoma on Monday when their car was struck by William Zesbaugh, 71, who then attacked them with a "Club" steering wheel lock, yelling:

“I can tell you’re lesbians. I should beat the crap out of you.”

Zesbaugh has been charged with assault and malicious harassment as a hate crime and is in jail on $10,000 bail.

Watch the KING5 report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Well in fairness to Zesbaugh, I can tell they're lesbians,too.

Relax those a** muscles...it's called a joke.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 31, 2013 12:21:06 PM

2. Ratbastard/Rick/Jason obviously didn't watch the video

Posted by: Steve | Jan 31, 2013 12:25:25 PM

3. Sounds like dementia may have played a role, hopefully the old man will be taken off the road along with whatever other penalties are imposed.

Posted by: distinguetraces | Jan 31, 2013 12:31:13 PM

4. @Steve,

Um, I'm Ratbastard...period. I don't come on here and troll or shill under any other name. I do not know who Jason and Rick,are.

And yes Steve, I did indeed watch the clip. Do you not understand humor? Maybe it's just not your kind of humor.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 31, 2013 12:34:50 PM

5. @distinguetraces,

Indeed. Could be meds,too. Or he could just be a bast*rd.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 31, 2013 12:36:16 PM

6. Wait--that's not possible! Advocate rated Tacoma the gayest city in the U.S.! :-)

Posted by: Kergan Edwards-Stout | Jan 31, 2013 12:36:40 PM

7. This is clearly not the story for jokes and laughs. At all.

Anyway, this is more or less representative of the fact that hate is everywhere, no matter how random.............even in gay Tacoma. Gladly these two women weren't badly hurt and seem able to not rationalize but at least not be traumatized by this awful incident. Hopefully the old bigot likes jail.

I'm glad to see more and more gay people, or people perceived as gay, going to the police and speaking out if they're abused by a hateful individual. The only way to stop the hate is by speaking out against it and not letting it intimidate you into silence.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 31, 2013 12:47:18 PM

8. This is clearly not the story for jokes and laughs. At all.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 31, 2013 12:47:19 PM

9. @Francis,

I'm sincerely sorry if my comment [joke] caused anyone upset. Also, of course, I hope these two women are OK.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 31, 2013 12:53:02 PM

10. You can really tell though...

Posted by: vj | Jan 31, 2013 2:06:22 PM

11. @Ratbastard

HAHAHA joking about assault threats is just SO FUNNY. f%cking idiot.

Posted by: Not that Rob | Jan 31, 2013 2:08:10 PM

12. Only the blonde on the left is gay. The one one the right (with the shorter hair) is straight.

Posted by: Steve | Jan 31, 2013 2:09:32 PM

13. Who cares whether they are actually lesbians? The whole point is that the driver attacked them because he thought they were. I wonder if the prosecutor could have brought even more serious charges. If so, he certainly should have.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Jan 31, 2013 2:21:15 PM

14. The vids kinda imply that his remarks were somewhat irrelevant; he was violent *before* he suspected they were lesbians. Is this really a hate crime, or just another psycho road-rage incident ?

I hope the old guy gets the help he obviously needs, I wouldn't be surprised if there's more to this story. I hope there is, if just for the sake of the ladies involved; it would sure go a long way towards helping them put it in perspective...

You can be subjected to this kind of thing anywhere, anytime, and you don't have to be gay for it to happen to you.

Once in SF some cra cra guy stalked me for miles after he felt that I cut him off ( he had a stop sign! ) and at a red light he got out of his car and proceeded to beat on my car like a gorilla.

Seriously, he pounded my car so hard with his fists and forearms that pieces of it went *flying*. I'm somewhat glad that I didn't have time to actually get out of my car, as I would have attempted to politely reason with him.

It was an absolutely horrific experience; but if he had made some anti-gay remarks/insults, does it really make sense that it would have made it more of a crime, a worse crime, or a different crime ? I mean, my old grey Buick didn't look gay. It didn't have any gay bumper stickers on it. There was a styrene Jesus on the dashboard with the hand broken off his raised right arm. (it was my granny's, I couldn't bring myself to remove it).

So I have to wonder at how people perceive incidents and motivations. I doubt that enhanced charges in this case will stick, and don't think it makes a bit of a difference. If anything, it's just a distraction and an obstacle.

The ladies aren't rationalizing this as a hate crime, they're obviously aware that this is just a craycray incident.

Posted by: I Don't Reward KrayKray with KrayKray | Jan 31, 2013 3:01:51 PM

15. So you mean two "strong women" had a hard time fending off a 71-year-old man?

Oh, and Francis, just in the last week, we have seen "hate crimes" pop up in Tacoma and in the Chicago area....and 2 murders in NYC, this on top of the case involving the "Westwood Police"

Just sayin'.......

Posted by: Rick | Jan 31, 2013 5:14:40 PM

16. @Seattle Mike: the reason to note that one of them is not a lesbian is that a lot of straight people are going to start realizing that they could be gay bashed too. That's a good way of getting support for hate crime laws in parts of the country that don't have them.

Posted by: Bill | Jan 31, 2013 6:58:57 PM

17. There was an incredibly sad story at least a year ago where two brothers were walking home after drinking a bit too much, one brother was kind of holding the other one up. They got bashed because someone though they were gay. One of them died. Homophobia hurts more than just gay people.

Posted by: Tom in Long Beach | Feb 1, 2013 12:40:10 AM

18. @ I don't reward kray kray with kray kray
    People like you want to erase the fact that homophobia does exist. You make that same speech of "but is it really a hate crime" and put into question homophobic aspects of every topic. You resent that homophobia is being called out by our society. Get used to it

Posted by: Klien | Feb 1, 2013 7:11:02 AM

19. @Tom in L.B.,

They were brothers from Ecuador. It happened in NYC, Brooklyn I believe. The two perps were black dudes from hood who as you said thought they were gay. They were arrested and tried and in prison.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 1, 2013 10:32:03 AM