I'm Not Gay | Katie Couric | Manti Te'o

Manti Te'o Tells Katie Couric He's Not Gay: 'Far from It' - VIDEO

M_teo

In an interview that aired today, Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o told Katie Couric that he's not gay when she asked him if he made up the dead girlfriend story to hide his sexual orientation.

COURIC:"One of the theories, many theories, Manti, making the rounds, is somehwo you created this whole scenario to cover up your sexual orientation. Are you gay?"

TE'O: No. (Laughs) Far from from it. Faaaaar from that."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Do you believe him?

Here's the full interview (till it gets pulled). The gay question is around 16:00 in the first clip.

Comments

1. P.S. Let me see:

1. He's mormon
    2. He goes to a major Catholic University
    3. He is on their football team
    4. He is hoping to get a NFL contract

Duh... He is a closeted gay...

Posted by: MikeH | Jan 24, 2013 5:50:25 PM

2. Cause we all know that there's never been a gay man who said, "Oh, no, I'm not gay. FAAAAAR from it!"

I would bet that most gay men have said that at some point; particularly those from fundamentalist religious families like Manti.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jan 24, 2013 5:52:08 PM

3. YOU CAN'T FIGURE MORMONS-- except to count on the idea that there is a huge price for any of them who publicly flout the church's policies.

Posted by: Bob | Jan 24, 2013 5:54:53 PM

4. We tend to think everyone is a closeted gay, but I don't think it's the case here.
    If he were closeted, why wouldn't he just get a female friend to pretend to be his girlfriend? That would be a lot easier and more believable. Most gay guys have tons of female friends.

Posted by: Tommy | Jan 24, 2013 6:01:44 PM

5. You're either gay or you're not: you can't get "farther from it" than other people. That's insulting. It's like if somebody asks if you're Jewish and you reply, "Oh, no -- quite the opposite!"

Do I believe him? Of course not. Because there's only one type of person that doesn't care if they meet their long-term "girlfriend," and Mormon isn't *quite* it.

Posted by: RomanHans | Jan 24, 2013 6:29:40 PM

6. He seems like a nice guy. I accept him at his word. I wish him great success in his pro football career.

Posted by: andrew | Jan 24, 2013 6:54:41 PM

7. I don't think he's gay. I think he's just dumb.

The whole "is he gay?" storyline is just as dumb as he is.

I appreciate the news outlets who take this story as an opportunity to examine the way the Internet has affected the way we relate to other people. That discussion is much more interesting than this low-level "I want to know exactly what happened and why!" discussion.

Posted by: John | Jan 24, 2013 7:33:49 PM

8. As I was walking down the stair
    I met a man who wasn't there.
    He wasn't there again today.
    Oh, how I wish he'd go away!

Posted by: bierce | Jan 24, 2013 7:42:33 PM

9. Yeah he's straight. Straight to the nearest stiff cock!

Posted by: rebarb | Jan 24, 2013 7:50:53 PM

10. Yup, he is so far far away from it , he's chasing his own butt.

Posted by: bambinoitalianoba | Jan 24, 2013 7:53:26 PM

11. Do I believe him? HELL NO!!

GURL PUH-LEESE he is gay no one is this stupid for THAT LONG, he was in on it to cover up his BF/ cock supplier

Posted by: Marky | Jan 24, 2013 7:54:05 PM

12. It's interesting to watch his body language. As he is saying "No, Far From it... Faaaar From it" his head is nodding up and down in the affirmative. Body language interpreters would tell you that this is a classic "tell" of him lying. HIs mouth says one thing, but his body reveals the truth.

Just thought that was interesting... take a look.

Posted by: BlinkytheClown | Jan 24, 2013 7:55:56 PM

13. But is he g'ay?

Posted by: Jase | Jan 24, 2013 8:18:08 PM

14. I still don't understand why this is news!

Posted by: Ray | Jan 24, 2013 8:27:31 PM

15. That poor thing is gay and dumb. On one level, I don't understand why this is newsworthy but then again, the sports world is completely foreign to me. I think the traditional media are playing catch up to being scooped by Deadspin. Add to the mix that this story is such colossal BS, it has everyone intrigued. Sadly, I don't think this Katie interview raises more questions than answers.

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Jan 24, 2013 8:50:16 PM

16. I meant the Katie interview does raise more questions than answers.

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Jan 24, 2013 8:54:38 PM

17. It's pitiful to watch. Why are his handlers encouraging him to do interviews? He should hide

Posted by: Phil | Jan 24, 2013 9:06:54 PM

18. THANKS GOD YOU ARE NOT GAY DUDE!! YOU ARE ONE UGLY DUDE I WOULD NOT WANT "PLAY FOR MY TEAM"....YUCK

Posted by: Shannon | Jan 24, 2013 9:15:19 PM

19. Come on gurls, he says he's not gay. That's the end of it. For now.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jan 24, 2013 9:17:21 PM

20. The football guy is of no interest to me but the comments here are. Johnny your statement that these are the most accepting times since the reign of Caligula are disgusting. Caligula promoted prostitution and then taxed it. How is that accepting? Only 10% of that prostitution was homosexual from what little records exist. Today we are promoting marriage between people including same-sex couples - how is that like Caligula? We are promoting family values today with same-sex marriage. Dude self-hating is a few steps above you.

Posted by: Markt | Jan 24, 2013 9:39:48 PM

21. This story just gets better and better and clearer and clearer. Have you read the comments from the hoaxer's attorney?!?! The guy wanted a "relationship" (nebulously used) with Mr. Te'o.

But, to those who say one day he'll come out, I would say think twice! If he is on "our team", as they say, he's so far in the closet this boy's in Narnia; Mormon, footballer, catholic school boy, Samoan are all enough in-and-of themselves, but as a combo it's genetic self-hater syndrome defined.

Posted by: NVagboi | Jan 24, 2013 9:52:43 PM

22. I've lived in Hawaii for 22 years and work at a public services job in a community college where I meet the diverse population that is Hawaii.

Many Pacific Islanders and Asian men here are very closeted because of traditional families. Many of these adult men still live at home. Some of their reluctance to come out has to do with religion, and some of it is cultural.

Samoans by and large are a very religious group - Catholic and Mormon.

His Mormon religion just complicates this very very messy situation. The fact that he appeared on the show with HIS PARENTS - the guy is 21 years old! and the fact that his father called him a kid says it all. That says.it.all.

This guy is probably gay - and what with Gareth Thomas the UK rugby player, Orlando Cruz, the Puerto Rican boxer - who wouldn't want to be associated with those guys! And Ben Cohen and Chris Kluwe very strongly coming out for LGBT professional sports players - what a TIME TO COME OUT for professional sports players. The longer they stay in the closet, the worse it will be for them.

Posted by: Kevin-in-Honolulu | Jan 24, 2013 9:58:20 PM

23. I believe him when he says he's not gay. I think he's one of those jocks whose brain functions begin to deteriorate the closer they get physically to a beautiful woman. He feels more "cool" if there's a barrier in between - and what could be more "enabling" to a duuuh jock than the internet? This condition renders him vulnerable and gullible. It's the guy voicing the girl who's gayer than a goose; he's a night vision scope away from an active stalker.

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Jan 24, 2013 10:17:12 PM

24. What Katie Couric should have asked him is if he wears that hideous Mormon underwear.

Posted by: Anon | Jan 24, 2013 10:39:50 PM

25. Yeah.....watching the entire interview, every time he opens his mouth, all I hear is a closet door being pulled tightly shut (a big Samoan linebacker hiding behind it).

Posted by: NVagboi | Jan 24, 2013 10:40:54 PM