I'm Gay | News | Victor Garber

BigGayDeal.com

Victor Garber Confirms a Fact 'Everybody Knows': He's Gay

Entertainment blogger Greg Hernandez had a hunch that notoriously private actor Victor Garber (Smash, Titanic) had never publicly discussed his sexuality, even though, at least in the Broadway community and among industry insiders, he was living in a glass closet. So Hernandez decided to ask during an interview during the TV Critics Association Press Tour:

GarberWe were being rushed off the stage so the next panel could be set up so I thanked him and we parted ways. I sat down but couldn’t help wondering: "Did he come out and I missed it?"

So I got up, walked into the lobby of the Langham Huntington Hotel and found Garber. I just decided to ask him: "Wikipedia lists Rainer Andreesen as your partner. I wondered if that’s something that’s public, that you've confirmed."

He seemed surprised by the question but said: "I don’t really talk about it but everybody knows."

Garber then added: "He's going to be out here with me for the SAG Awards."

And there you have it.

Comments

1. I thought it was common knowledge that Victor Garber was openly gay. I swear I've read interviews in the past where he openly talked about his male partner. Certainly in Canada and in theatre circles it's well known. Maybe he's just not a big enough Hollywood star for people to care and ask about the details of his personal life.

Someone should tell blogger Greg Hernandez that just because *he* didn't know someone was gay doesn't mean that person is "in the closet". You can't even say Victor Garber was in a "glass closet". If you didn't know Victor Garber was gay, it's certainly no fault of his.

Posted by: S.L. | Jan 14, 2013 11:49:52 PM

2. Jesus is Gay (Victor was Jesus off Broadway as well as in the Movie of Godspell)...but I didn't think it was a secret, all of us working at the theatre knew in 1972...

Posted by: Rational | Jan 14, 2013 11:51:17 PM

3. Who cares??? He needs to spill about Bradley Cooper

Posted by: Marky | Jan 15, 2013 12:08:59 AM

4. All the best to this good actor.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 15, 2013 12:42:28 AM

5. He is SUCH a DILF!

Posted by: Jase | Jan 15, 2013 1:02:39 AM

6. @Jersey: Jodie did not throw everyone who came before her under a bus. Re-read/re-view what she said. Quit making things up bitter queen.

CHRISTOPHERM according to YOUR standard he never actually said "it". Your standard is saying "I'm gay" and he never actually said those words in the article. You are playing loose with the facts again (i.e. Jane Lynch being pissed, when the cutaway clearly shows her smiling). Why do you give everyone else a free pass but skewer Jodie Foster? Why don't you just come out and say it: you don't like her.

The double standard on here is appaling.

Posted by: LIZA | Jan 15, 2013 2:52:58 AM

7. well, i like to consider myself one of the voices of reason here, and i was deeply offended at her likening coming out in the recent past, not to mention the times when stating that you were gay could cost you your career and even your life, to courting a media circus. that media circus was the price her predecessors paid so that she MIGHT live the quiet life she understandably wanted to live. likening them, and even those of use here to honey boo boo because we are openly gay is DEEPLY offensive.

she owes lance bass, ellen degeneris, chely wright, luke mcfarland et al a real apology, and not one of those, sorry if i offended anyone, non-apologies.

i should bite my tongue for saying it, but right now i can't help thinking that she and mel gibson deserve one another...

Posted by: bandanajack | Jan 15, 2013 4:17:43 AM

8. Aside from their different fame level, he and Foster are the same. People generally knew they were gay. They didn't make a secret about it. They just didn't hold a press conference and write a book. It was exactly what Foster referred to in her speech.

Posted by: Steve | Jan 15, 2013 6:42:53 AM

9. OMG, Jesus is Gay?

Posted by: Mawm | Jan 15, 2013 7:48:50 AM

10. Chad, you sound like a real stick in the mud. Celebrity gossip is fun.

Posted by: Mawm | Jan 15, 2013 7:50:14 AM

11. Liza, I actually do like some of her movies. But by YOUR standards, Garber just came out in a similar way, only less meandering and without insulting everyone who came before him. Not to mention without giving shout outs to a racist spouse abuser or whining for his privacy while yammering on about his kids and his mother. Why don't YOU just admit you want to schtup her.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Jan 15, 2013 9:46:20 AM

12. I didn't know before reading this.

Posted by: Andy | Jan 15, 2013 10:09:56 AM

13. Victor played Mayor Moscone inn "Milk" which was a great source of fun for everyone working on that film, as the straight actor (Sean Penn) played the gay activist and the gay actor (Victor) played the straight Mayor.

Victor is teriffic in "Argo."

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 15, 2013 10:38:11 AM

14. Here is the thing about Jodie Foster and Victor Garber, two actors about whom "everybody" already knew. First, not everybody knew, as clearly evidenced by this thread. A prominent person can be as open as you want with friends and family, but, until he or she says it on the record in the press, they are not out "officially." The press will still, for whatever reason, pussyfoot around the issue and not ever raise the subject. Now, whenever Garber or Foster are next on a press junket promoting something, the questions are fair game. They, of course, do not have to answer those questions, but, at least, the veil has been lifted and the questions can be asked, just as they are asked of every hetero actor out there.

Posted by: Jere | Jan 15, 2013 10:42:24 AM

15. Jodie Foster did not throw anyone under the bus. She gave examples of people who live their so-called private lives in the media, and said she was not one of those people. I've seen the "duh" reactions from the community to celebs coming out in the general media, but never such virulence as against Jodie Foster, who donates tons of money to LGBT causes like the Trevor Project. Then when Victor Garber comes out and says he doesn't really discuss his private life in the media, (and doesn't say "gay" either, but, like Jodie, confirms his partner) people are like "yay go him." What a stupid double standard. Everyone in their own time... celebs do not have a duty to come out to the media. Yes, it's nice when they do, but to actually knock them for it is appalling.

Posted by: Joseph L. | Jan 15, 2013 10:45:05 AM

16. I didn't know. Ergo everybody did not know. Ergo he was wrong.

But congratulations on coming out in 2013 anyway. You're a bit late for the party, but you can come anyway.

Posted by: Betty Treacle | Jan 15, 2013 10:54:03 AM

17. It is amazing to me the criticism of Jodie Foster. She is a real, actual person who does not need to live up to the new conformity which says everyone in the public eye must come out. I was there when Harvey Milk said come out come out and I did and have for the last 40 years but I refuse to lecture someone who had far more to lose than I. It was a brilliantly delivered speech given to grown-ups who understand life isn't lived to please others.

Posted by: Joey | Jan 15, 2013 11:32:35 AM

18. "I thought it was common knowledge that Victor Garber was openly gay. I swear I've read interviews in the past where he openly talked about his male partner."

I agree. I feel like I saw him on a list of out actors years ago.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Jan 15, 2013 11:42:16 AM

19. To be fair, how many interviews with Garber are there? He's a great actor and performer but he's not someone who's going on a lot of talk shows.

Posted by: db | Jan 15, 2013 12:09:53 PM

20. CHRISTOPHER: Nice try putting it back on me and my "standards". But you and your "mean girl" friends on here are the one who set the bar and that was for people to actually say "I'm gay" otherwise they didn't really come out. Then when Victor comes out but doesn't say the words "I'm gay" but lives his life in the same way as Jodie (doesn't discuss their private life every chance they get, comes out in a matter of fact, non-spectacle way) you guys want to give him sainthood while slammming her like she is the worst person in the world. Look, we get that you don't like her. We also get that you are pissed that she is still friends with Mel, but get over it.

As for dismissing people who disagree with you that we want to "schtup" her. I'm a man and I have no interest in doing her. Just because "Liza" is my post name, doesn't mean I'm a woman. You are the one acting like a catty little high school girl in her clique of b*tchy friends. Some people need to grow up, this isn't high school.

Posted by: LIZA | Jan 15, 2013 12:20:10 PM

21. It isn't ? Could have fooled me.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 15, 2013 12:30:17 PM

22. I'm surprised this is news. I've been admiring pics on the internet of the handsome couple Victor and Rainer for years. I didn't think anyone thought Rainer was a secret.
    And to be fair, he wasn't asked if he was gay in this case. He was asked if Rainer is his partner and he answered that everybody knows that he is. (A bisexual could have answered in the same way, as is also the case with Jodie Foster's Golden Globes speech, in which she never mentioned her orientation).
    I also remember seeing Maverick 19 years ago and talking to my straight friend after the movie about the fact that he had the hots for Jodie Foster and that she's gay. I don't remember how I knew, but I remember that it didn't seem to be a secret.

Posted by: GregV | Jan 15, 2013 1:03:37 PM

23. The timing on this is crazy, I happened to wikipedia Victor Garber just a few days ago and found out he was gay. I had no idea, but was happy to hear it. Actually with Jodie, the first time I'd heard she was a lesbian was probably ten years ago, in an article that was joking about celebs in the closet. I didn't realize it was true.

Posted by: antisaint | Jan 15, 2013 1:21:56 PM

24. Considering Garber's lead role in "Godspell," is it safe to now say that Jesus is gay?

Posted by: Lelio Risen | Jan 15, 2013 2:05:26 PM

25. He was "sinfully delicious" in an episode of Will & Grace. He also played Frasier's butler in one episode as well.

Posted by: DAN | Jan 15, 2013 2:22:54 PM