I'm Gay | News | Victor Garber

Victor Garber Confirms a Fact 'Everybody Knows': He's Gay

Entertainment blogger Greg Hernandez had a hunch that notoriously private actor Victor Garber (Smash, Titanic) had never publicly discussed his sexuality, even though, at least in the Broadway community and among industry insiders, he was living in a glass closet. So Hernandez decided to ask during an interview during the TV Critics Association Press Tour:

GarberWe were being rushed off the stage so the next panel could be set up so I thanked him and we parted ways. I sat down but couldn’t help wondering: "Did he come out and I missed it?"

So I got up, walked into the lobby of the Langham Huntington Hotel and found Garber. I just decided to ask him: "Wikipedia lists Rainer Andreesen as your partner. I wondered if that’s something that’s public, that you've confirmed."

He seemed surprised by the question but said: "I don’t really talk about it but everybody knows."

Garber then added: "He's going to be out here with me for the SAG Awards."

And there you have it.

Comments

1. I don't get it. I thought we wanted to reach the point where people didn't have to confirm or deny their sexual orientation. I've not Garber was gay for decades but I've never heard him say it. I don't see that any performer has to make a statement concerning their private life unless they so choose - what does it really matter. I have enjoyed numerous performance by Mr. Garber over the years and hope to enjoy many more. And, as for Ms. Foster's 10 minute diatribe - what was that all about? Was she just pissed off at someone or what? The repeated shots of Mel Gibson made it appear as though he was unaware Ms. Foster is a lesbian and he was either heartbroken and/or ready to throw up.

Posted by: ThomT | Jan 15, 2013 3:03:09 PM

2. @S.L.: Here is a Canadian interview from April 2012 in which he mentions Rainer Andreesen as his "companion" (a term that strikes me as a bit awkward but still better than "partner"):

Aside from his theatrical successes, Garber was asked, what is his proudest achievement?

“My relationships with my family and my friends. My companion Rainer Andreesen and I have been together almost 13 years in Greenwich Village. We both love New York.”

I hesitated to ask, but is he Jewish?

“No, but he is Canadian.”

Posted by: Thomasina | Jan 15, 2013 5:35:23 PM

3. This seems to be the week for announcements that simply confirm what was already widely known.

Posted by: Leo | Jan 15, 2013 5:37:42 PM

4. *Re-posted from another thread:

Unbelievable! When Jodie comes out at an awards show (again) by confirming what was already known but without saying those two magic words that has become your standard..."I'm gay"...the drama queen nails came out and you're all over her saying she truly didn't come out and you vilify her and take her speech out of context! When Victor Garber confirms he is gay but does not say those words "I'm gay" you're all excited and praising him. When Matt Dallas came out last week he did not say, "I'm gay", but let everyone know by tweeting a pic of his fiance, you guys couldn't welcome the little hottie to your club faster! Not one of you posted saying you needed to hear the words's "I'm gay" out of his mouth.

You threw a pride parade in Victor and Matt's honor, Jodie was kicked to the curb. What an absolute disgusting display of a double standard. This community preaches and asks people not to judge us and to accept us, but some of you are the first to the front of the line when it comes to judging others, especially one of our own. It's sad when we tear down a fellow gay person in a catty, childish display because they didn't live up to your own definition of how to live. You are no better than a schoolyard bully. It's no wonder why some people stay in the closet especially those in the public eye. Not only do they have to face bigots in the heterosexual world, but have to deal with those in the gay community who act like a bunch of judgemental highschoolers. Forget it.

Posted by: DAN | Jan 15, 2013 8:05:50 PM

5. Glad he came out.
    Loved his role in Alias... and that show in general. Even named our female dog "Syndey" after the Sydney Bristow character :-)

Thanks for this article and your reporting. What you do is appreciated.

I posted it to my LGBT Group on LinkedIn with over 17,000 global members to spur members to read your article and to make comment. I also scooped it at Scoop.It on my LGBT Times news mashup.

Link to group >> http://www.linkedin.com/groups/LGBT-Gay-GLBT-Professional-Network-63687/about

All LGBT+ and community allies.... please come join me and 17,000+ of your soon to be great connections on LinkedIn. The member base represents 80% of the world's countries.

It's core value is - Visibility can lead to awareness which can lead to equality. Come stand with us and increase our visibility on the globe's largest professional networking site. Be a professional who just happens to be LGBT - or a welcomed community ally

Posted by: Dennis Velco | Jan 15, 2013 8:44:28 PM

6. @Chad Hunt -- you make the point beautifully; being gay is no big deal. However, it is important for celebrities, atheletes, politicians, etc., to come out, as doing so puts real faces on gay people and demonstrates that we really are just like everyone else.

Posted by: GARY | Jan 15, 2013 10:34:19 PM

7. @Chad Hunt -- you make the point beautifully; being gay is no big deal. However, it is important for celebrities, atheletes, politicians, etc., to come out, as doing so puts real faces on gay people and demonstrates that we really are just like everyone else.

Posted by: GARY | Jan 15, 2013 10:34:20 PM

8. I knew there was something I really liked about him...

Posted by: Bill Michael | Jan 16, 2013 4:09:55 AM

9. He's a fine actor! I have always liked him. Now, I like him even more!

Posted by: Andreas | Jan 16, 2013 11:32:03 AM

10. .. and that's why i loved ALIAS so much!

Posted by: jake | Jan 16, 2013 5:35:01 PM