A$AP Rocky | Hip-Hop | I'm Not Gay | Music | News

A$AP Rocky: 'People Say I'm Gay Sometimes, But I Have a Lot of Bitches So Why Would I Care?'

Asap_rocky

Rapper A$AP Rocky is asked by Mr. Porter if his masculinity is ever called into question because of his interest in fashion:

A$AP arrives at the MR PORTER shoot wearing clothes by Jil Sander, Balenciaga and Junya Watanabe, but, again breaking the rap mould, says he has no plans to set up his own fashion brand. "I don't want to. It would be disrespectful to take my stardom and bully my way into the fashion industry, because I didn't go to [fashion] school to learn about design, sketching and fabrics. I just enjoy it; I'm a consumer." Given the macho nature of the hip-hop world I obliquely ask if A$AP's interest in fashion, and the cut of his jeans, have ever led people to call his masculinity into question. He responds bluntly: "People say I'm gay sometimes, but I have a lot of bitches so why would I care? It doesn't bother me at all. You know why they say that? Because they can't say that I suck, they can't say that I'm not handsome, and they can't say that my lyrics are wack, so they say that I'm gay because they don't have anything on me."

Comments

1. "I have a lot of bitches". He is just another vulgar rapper.

Posted by: andrew | Feb 26, 2013 1:51:07 PM

2. Classy

Posted by: rick scatorum | Feb 26, 2013 1:52:39 PM

3. "I have a lot of bitches".. . and some of them have dicks.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 26, 2013 1:57:41 PM

4. Gee, I hope he's not done evolving.

Posted by: Maverick69 | Feb 26, 2013 1:58:41 PM

5. ....well, i had a "lotta b***hes" in high school. didn't make me straight. made me very committed to my Act.

he is sexy, though. not as sexy as Ne-Yo, but he's sexy.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 26, 2013 1:59:03 PM

6. I don't know if he likes women, but he's certainly a bit of a tit. And arrogant too. Arrogance ain't cute.

Posted by: riannawanna | Feb 26, 2013 1:59:26 PM

7. Even Kanye handled this question a lot better.

But he's not being denigrating to gays at all.

Posted by: Chitown kev | Feb 26, 2013 1:59:51 PM

8. Well, at least he is not homophobic, sexist is just another story.

In fact i think hip hop singers and rappers are going to move on from homophobia, but i think it will be a lot more difficult to move from misoginy and sexism. And the fact they are surrounded of women who totally fit in the stereotype it doesn't help either

Posted by: jjose712 | Feb 26, 2013 2:00:43 PM

9. Some people have way more self esteem than they need.

Posted by: Soren456 | Feb 26, 2013 2:04:36 PM

10. "Arrogance ain't cute."

eh, it depends on how you do it...it can be.

Posted by: Chitown kev | Feb 26, 2013 2:06:01 PM

11. Seriously, who is this? Never heard of him.

Posted by: ATLJason | Feb 26, 2013 2:27:16 PM

12. Gee, A$AP, thanks for, uh, clearing that up.

Posted by: jamal49 | Feb 26, 2013 2:37:26 PM

13. "People say I'm gay sometimes, but I have a lot of bitches so why would I care? They can't say that I suck, they can't say that I'm not handsome, and they can't say that my lyrics are wack."

People can't say you're modest or smart, either.

Posted by: sean | Feb 26, 2013 2:42:43 PM

14. He's also the guy who called Gaga a "gay faggot".

Posted by: Chris | Feb 26, 2013 2:53:46 PM

15. Never heard of him either, but I'm not a rap consumer.

His overall message is pretty awesome, though his delivery might need some work. Then again, this might be just the way to put it for his audience - young people who listen to rap and hip-hop.

People who call him gay think they're insulting him, because they can't legitimately criticize anything else about him (except, apparently, as Towleroad readers have maturely pointed out - his self-confidence and manner of speaking), but he knows he's not gay so he doesn't waste his energy on it.

Good for him!

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Feb 26, 2013 2:53:47 PM

16. "It doesn't bother me at all"
    Obviously it does since your making an issue out of it!
    Authentic straight men don't respond to something that isn't true about their sexuality. Closeted men do.
    Dude sounds very closeted. Sad.

Posted by: SFshawn | Feb 26, 2013 2:58:42 PM

17. @CHRIS,

I've been Googling him for about 15 minutes now. I couldn't find the nasty slur against Lady Gaga. But admits he was an angry young Rapper. When the money started rolling in he "evolved".

But there was an interesting interview he did with some magazine called "Spinner". In the interview he said that hating Gay people was "retarded". Not an appropriate word to use. He should have just said, "hatin' on Gay people aint wack." Does that make sense in Hip Hop language?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 26, 2013 3:15:34 PM

18. Society has turned yet another corner when one of the hottest MCs in the world takes the high road on being labeled gay. Great response from A$AP.

Posted by: NYC212 | Feb 26, 2013 3:20:44 PM

19. excuse me - but as a Gay man I aint interested in women..but show some respect dude....and you have to wonder - What kind of women align themselves with this kind of thug who refers to them as his bitches?

Posted by: disgusted american | Feb 26, 2013 3:28:50 PM

20. I really have no idea who he is, but he was on Kathy Griffin's talk show a couple weeks ago, with some other rapper with missing teeth, and Russel Brand. She brought up gay marriage and some other "gay" topics. He again gave an "i don't care" type answer. Anyone willing to go on her show can't be too big a homophobe.

Posted by: JD | Feb 26, 2013 4:01:04 PM

21. The only women who would associate with this rapper creep are prostitutes. I loathe him and his ilk.

Posted by: rise | Feb 26, 2013 4:38:57 PM

22. Good for him and for all you self-righteous gays above who said anything different, get off you pink hypocritical soap boxes.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Feb 26, 2013 6:06:50 PM

23. This pathetic grunt is just another sleeze-rot from the gun-toting underbelly of black America with his tone of angry swaggering ignorance. Anyone who thinks this guy is interesting (or "hot" - a ha a ha a ha ha ha) should spend a week with him, then come back and give us a report.

Posted by: BRUTHER | Feb 26, 2013 8:00:50 PM

24. A$AP can join Ke$ha in the heap of trashy gutter people who for whatever reason feel the need to include dollar signs in their names.

Posted by: Wes | Feb 26, 2013 8:07:59 PM

25. I LOVE YOU, RAKIM <3333

Side note: I'm shocked that this was posted lol. I don't see a lot from or about rappers on most gay media sites.

Posted by: Shaunie | Feb 26, 2013 9:24:34 PM