American Family Association | Military | News

American Family Association Doesn't Want Gay Corpses in Arlington National Cemetery

The American Family Association has sent out an action alert regarding the military benefits that Defense Secretary Leon Panetta announced yesterday would be extended to the same-sex partners and families of gay servicemembers — nearly the full extent permitted under current law (a Q&A about the benefits can be found here).

ArlingtonThe AFA is upset about the announcement, and is urging its followers to contact the DoD. In the proposed text of the letter attached to their action alert, they pay particular attention to the fact that gay people will be buried in Arlington National Cemetery with the dignity and honor of their straight counterparts.

The text reads:

Under your watch, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta has effectively devastated our nation's military by allowing the "gay agenda" to take priority over national defense.

This week, his decision to grant "marriage" benefits to homosexuals in the military presents an unacceptable risk to good order, discipline, morale and unit cohesion - qualities essential for combat readiness.

Most disturbing is his decision to allow homosexual partners to be buried on the hallowed grounds of Arlington National Cemetery.

I urge you to do your part in restoring sanity to the Department of Defense and stop social experimentation in the military.

Comments

1. Andrew is an apologist gay, who is bitter and jaded due to not knowing many gay people.He has other alias screennamed he uses on here, all of which dismiss homophobia and usually defend the homophobic party or individual. When blatant homophobia is displayed like the story above, he requests we all ignore it and move on.

When subtle homophobia is displayed, he's first in line to say people are overreacting and that it's not a big deal. In his world, anti gay bias does not exist and he wants gays to be silenced as a community. I'm glad others are seeing his agenda.

Posted by: J.J | Feb 13, 2013 4:11:06 AM

2. THIS is why every LGBT should demand justice, and fairness and equality. If we don't have our voices heard, these AFA members want to run us over- even in death.

Posted by: Mark | Feb 13, 2013 4:12:52 AM

3. Of course these people are jerks who are paid by rich old donors to say what the donors want to hear, so I don't really respond to them, and I certainly don't try to change them, since I am not writing their paycheck.
    I would ask Towleroad to remind us of the size and reach of these organizations when topics come up. I mean, Westboro is 3 dozen crazies at most, "one million moms" was more like 412, etc. If this AFA has a large outreach, please say so, thanks.

Posted by: Bob | Feb 13, 2013 4:20:50 AM

4. Leave it to bigoted straight people to invent the concept of gay corpses.

Posted by: Jack M | Feb 13, 2013 8:06:55 AM

5. I suppose the AFA would like to dig up all the Jews, Blacks, Muslims, and Women buried there too... anyone who is not a White, Straight, Christian, Upper-Middle Class, Male... oh, and Republican.

Posted by: Jim Brown | Feb 13, 2013 9:45:28 AM

6. Segregation, even in death? Rest in Peace indeed. Well, folks, we now have our desperate water fountain moment. It was only a matter of time with these f$ckwads...

Posted by: Graphicjack | Feb 13, 2013 11:12:53 AM

7. The AFA isn't having any luck opposing gay people who are alive. Maybe they feel that dead gays are the only ones they can succeed against.

Even as someone who spent many years on the anti-gay side politically, I can find no explanation for their complaint about gay corpses. But as a famous civil rights leader once said "I never did understand why the cemeteries had to be segregated - cause dead people get along with each other really well."

Mind-boggling.

Posted by: mary | Feb 13, 2013 11:30:24 AM

8. how are the dead, military or non-military a threat to national security it's not like they can tell anyone anything their DEAD

Posted by: john | Feb 13, 2013 2:31:08 PM

9. Somebody should turn the AFA leadership into corpses. If you look up the leadership - I forget their big mouths name on Wiki, just read and you can get the sense that he is a Nazi.

Posted by: billyw | Feb 14, 2013 1:15:33 AM

10. And when I die, I do not want bigoted assholes buried anywhere near me or even in the same city as me. I do not want tainted ashes dirtying the grounds these people attract.

Posted by: mmike1969 | Feb 20, 2013 7:48:33 PM