Azealia Banks | GLAAD | Music | News

Azealia Banks: GLAAD is 'F**king Bulls**t'

UPDATE BELOW

Singer Azealia Banks has had enough of GLAAD, the media, and anybody who disagrees with her using the word 'faggot', she tells Australia's The Music. Last week, Banks reignited a Twitter feud with Perez Hilton, taunting him with the word "faggot" repeatedly, and canvassing her 300,000 followers as to their definition of the word.

Last month, singer Jake Shears and GLAAD responded to Banks, denouncing her use of the word.

Now she's speaking out about it:

Banks“There are such bigger problems… and then you've got organisations like GLAAD [Gay And Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation], which are f**king complete bulls**t.

“I mean let's look at it, it's gay and lesbian alliance against defamation, or whatever…. that's what it stands for, right? I mean would you agree that homosexuals, and the homosexual community, have bigger problems than the word faggot, you know what I mean?"

Furthermore, Banks pledges not to be torn down:

“Some people are Satanists, some people are Christians, some people are Jews, Buddhists, you know what I mean? Some people are still Nazis… there are some people who are still KKK members… Come on people, please. If you're trying to call me a homophobe, you're basically trying to imply that I’m insulting you for having sex with men. I have sex with men too – what the f**k?

“I have sex with men and women, do I have to take a picture of my licking a f**king pussy? What the f**k! It doesn't make any sense. It's so stupid. It's so stupid and it's so evil. And it's just like this stupid f**king media sh*t, you know what I mean? It's the media sh*t. And this is why I go about myself the way the way I go about myself, and I do whatever the f**k I want. If the media is going to build me up to tear me down, you motherf**kers are not going to tear me down.

“I just make these f**king raps, and I'm just gonna wear these outfits, and f**king live my life. I can't deal with you motherf**kers, I don't have time for this sh*t.”

More at The Music...

Said GLAAD's Matt Kane last month:

"[That] is an ugly, archaic word that was used to stigmatize a population of people who suffer high rates of violence both here in the U.S. and abroad. As far as we’ve come in this society, seeing it used by an artist many young people may look up to is painful, but even more so for those young fans, many of whom GLAAD has heard from."

UPDATE:

GLAAD President Herndon Graddick reached out to Towleroad with a reaction to Banks' statements, and defense of the word "faggot".

Said Graddick:

"I've never said that Azealia Banks is anti-gay, but I think she talks like someone disconnected from the violence experienced by men who don't fit society's notions of masculinity -- violence that escalates when celebrities like Azealia Banks demean such people. It's the queer youth and those who might not fit the mold of masculinity who suffer most from this kind of crap she is peddling."

Additionally, GLAAD clarified that its blog posts in January about Banks were responses specifically to this tweet: https://twitter.com/AZEALIABANKS/status/287411995593039873.

Comments

1. Mikey: Agree with you about the importance for this discussion of establishing what the younger gay crowd considers OK. But I have a very different conception of the matter...I'm 22, gay, friends are gay, partake in club scene etc., but I do NOT hear fag or faggot around. It's not something I say; it's not something that's said. I'm not inclined to think that the nonchalant use of that word is okay, and I don't think my friends are so inclined either.

Posted by: Sam | Feb 19, 2013 12:03:34 AM

2. Mikey: Agree with you about the importance for this discussion of establishing what the younger gay crowd considers OK. But I have a very different conception of the matter...I'm 22, gay, friends are gay, partake in club scene etc., but I do NOT hear fag or faggot around. It's not something I say; it's not something that's said. I'm not inclined to think that the nonchalant use of that word is okay, and I don't think my friends are so inclined either.

Posted by: Sam | Feb 19, 2013 12:03:35 AM

3. To be fair Mikey, as a young gay man myself, if anyone called me a faggot, fag or queer, affectionately or not, I'd be highly offended. Like you said, it is important for people to understand the context of a word, and Ms. Banks should understand that for many people that word is highly offensive.

In the end, however, there is honestly two different discussions going on here. One is a more academic debate on whether or not fag/faggot can be separated from its histocally bigoted past, and therefore whether it is appropriate in certain situations. The other is about the intent behind Ms. Banks use of faggot. She clearly was using the word in a derogatory way, and no matter how much a person believes in being able to reclaim and repurpose the word, I don't think anybody can support her actions.

Posted by: TDSE | Feb 19, 2013 12:05:20 AM

4. How about we just acknowledge that there are words that mature adults understand should not be used, at the very least not in public, because of the history of persecution and abuse and death they carry. All this crap about "reclaiming" words is just that--crap. I doubt that those who casually throw around these words do it for any reason other than shock value, and I doubt there isn't someone who hears it and isn't hurt.

Posted by: Stefan | Feb 19, 2013 12:11:01 AM

5. Mikey, key word in your post is "affectionately".

Do I personally use or like any of these words? Absolutely not. But you're a gay man. Azealia Banks is not. Azealia Banks is NOT a gay or bisexual man and thus she is not at all in any position to tell us how we're supposed to view these words. PERIOD. She needs to take a seat and know her place. Azealia Banks is not using these words in a safe space around people who can fully grasp the context; she's taking to twitter to spew anti-gay invective. And the reason why she's doing it is because she couldn't care less about gay and bisexual guys, she couldn't care less about her young gay fanbase. People are being manipulated to by this trashy woman who is using younger impressionable gays for money.

These boys think using these slurs somehow makes them bold or cool yet are the first ones to get mad when a straight guy calls them the f-bomb. That's my biggest problem with this woman. Gay boys and their straight girl friends are being used by her. She's sending an awful message. Azealia Banks in no way respects the history of the f-bomb, she does not respect her position as someone who influences many and has a fanbase that is majority gay, and worse of all, she is NOT using "f*g" or "gay" in any positive sense. She's not using them affectionately. She's not using them with positive intent, nor empowering intent. She's not using them ironically with friends who will understand the joke and her intent immediately. She's using them negatively, with hateful intent and has more or less said and defended as much.

Anyone defending this woman is completely off-base and if you complain when a straight man or straight woman uses these words as slurs then you are a hypocrite. Azealia Banks isn't becoming famous, she's becoming infamous, infamous for being a loud mouth trashy individual who is more known for beefing with people than her music career. She has torpedoed any chance at ever becoming a globally recognized force. Absolutely no class.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 19, 2013 12:19:13 AM

6. Stay classy, whoever you are...

Posted by: Tre | Feb 19, 2013 12:20:24 AM

7. She obviously is nothing but a ghetto hoodrat with no vocabulary, so she has to resort to personal insults when she's angry instead of trying to debate like an adult. The best thing you can do is refuse to buy her sh1t (not that anyone was checking for her "music" in the first place) and ignore her. Don't give her any attention and just let her fade away.

Posted by: Hoodrat | Feb 19, 2013 12:27:24 AM

8. Using these words willy-nilly off-the-cuff is ridiculous. The whole reclaiming BS that some younger gays are trying to do with these words isn't working. Queer-identifying is catching on without offensive intent. But f*g? Absolutely not. It never will catch on in our lifetime. The word simply has too much negative historical connections and is used too often in a hateful, negative sense today. And has hurt and continues to hurt too many people. And we all know the few gay/bi boys who do think it's totally OK to use these words like they would use any random word would get hurt by a straight person they aren't completely comfortable with calling them these names and even then a major percentage of these same gays would still be offended, so this conversation is pretty silly.

Azealia Banks isn't a gay/bi man. Gay/bi guys who don't see words like f*g as complete no-go words generally have the sense to not use these words completely off-the-cuff like some homophobic buffoon and won't use these terms negatively. It's about respecting the history of these words and the strong feelings people have towards these words and she doesn't, so that's the end of it.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 19, 2013 12:30:40 AM

9. If she can use the "F" word, can I call her by her family name? The "N" word. These people are such hippo-crits! "hippo" as in big fat runny poop mouths. Black people are always "diss"ing everyone and being vulgar.

But then, what do you expect from a culture that thinks McDonald's is a 5 star restaurant.

Posted by: Art | Feb 19, 2013 12:32:47 AM

10. Wow, Art. You managed racism and sizeism in one post, just when it was getting intellectual and civilized. "big fat runny poopy mouths?" Which playground did you learn that from? Nice job dragging the conversation into an ugly gutter.

Posted by: Ronny | Feb 19, 2013 12:55:11 AM

11. I had never heard of her before these twitter wars. Still not sure why she's famous for anything other than her tweets (is she a singer?). All I know is she's obviously an attention whore and these articles are fuel her fire.

Posted by: Craig | Feb 19, 2013 1:09:09 AM

12. She can't sing/rap, she can't dance, and she looks worse than a drunk drag queen.

Posted by: Emmy | Feb 19, 2013 1:17:44 AM

13. What a lovely, intellectual woman she is.

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 19, 2013 2:17:21 AM

14. Her grandfather is Andrew Dice Clay. What do you expect. She's trash.

Posted by: UFFDA | Feb 19, 2013 2:21:46 AM

15. Breaking News! Ignorant potty-mouth spews hate-words and cops an attitude over the consequences.

Must be a really slow news day.

Posted by: jexer | Feb 19, 2013 2:45:24 AM

16. And you can look no further than Steve Pardue. He didn't comment on her being a bi-sexual female. Never mind the fact that there are black gay men here who he's just offended. No, he didn't think twice about that at all, he went straight for the old ace in the hole. And this is the attitude of many "white and hispanic" gay men in Los Angeles. So here's a very cheery "F*CK YOU PARDUE!!!!"

Posted by: Mel | Feb 19, 2013 3:34:36 AM

17. Wonderfully articulate isn't she? Amazing what our society lauds with money and fame. She isn't even a decent musician.

Posted by: ChrisQ | Feb 19, 2013 6:42:32 AM

18. White gay male privilege all up and through here. The sad part is you'll never really understand what she's saying because you don't have to.

Know your place, as upwardly mobile DINCs, rule makers and dominators who can hide their sexuality at will and still be white and men when all is said and done. She knows her place as a black female and is probably sick of being muzzled by assholes who want to rule the world and tell her what her place is.

Posted by: Poob | Feb 19, 2013 7:02:21 AM

19. Can she say a full sentence without using the word f**k?

Posted by: john patrick | Feb 19, 2013 7:04:30 AM

20. Honestly, this has been dragged on too long. Is she even bisexual or is she "sleep with people for attention" kind of person. Not that it matters. We have made the N word quite fashionable for some reason. I have my own definition of the f word too. I think such a word is more fitting for those who use it to insult, humiliate, and degrade others. If she and others think F@qqot is good enough for you then im sure they want mind when you use it on them. Same thing goes for every other slur.

Posted by: Alex | Feb 19, 2013 7:56:32 AM

21. Two words - career suicide.

Posted by: Jack M | Feb 19, 2013 7:59:43 AM

22. can't wait for her to join the 27 club, she is a stain.

Posted by: Ryon | Feb 19, 2013 9:32:25 AM

23. Why should she change? She's perfect like many other 21 year olds.

She seems like an ugly person from the inside out.

Posted by: Fahd | Feb 19, 2013 10:10:55 AM

24. The only thing that Miss Thing can reclaim is the epithet "bulldagger"

If this is acceptable for younger gays then fine but understand that Hilton's audience is more mixed and that not everyone accepts this usage just as not every black person accepts the relamation of the n-word

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Feb 19, 2013 10:11:32 AM

25. @Poob

Uh, no.

Miss Thing is being unnecessarily provocative at this point.

Stop using race to excuse her bigoted actions (which doesn't mean that I think it's OK for gay white men to use the n-word either).

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Feb 19, 2013 10:53:42 AM