Azealia Banks | GLAAD | Music | News

Azealia Banks: GLAAD is 'F**king Bulls**t'

UPDATE BELOW

Singer Azealia Banks has had enough of GLAAD, the media, and anybody who disagrees with her using the word 'faggot', she tells Australia's The Music. Last week, Banks reignited a Twitter feud with Perez Hilton, taunting him with the word "faggot" repeatedly, and canvassing her 300,000 followers as to their definition of the word.

Last month, singer Jake Shears and GLAAD responded to Banks, denouncing her use of the word.

Now she's speaking out about it:

Banks“There are such bigger problems… and then you've got organisations like GLAAD [Gay And Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation], which are f**king complete bulls**t.

“I mean let's look at it, it's gay and lesbian alliance against defamation, or whatever…. that's what it stands for, right? I mean would you agree that homosexuals, and the homosexual community, have bigger problems than the word faggot, you know what I mean?"

Furthermore, Banks pledges not to be torn down:

“Some people are Satanists, some people are Christians, some people are Jews, Buddhists, you know what I mean? Some people are still Nazis… there are some people who are still KKK members… Come on people, please. If you're trying to call me a homophobe, you're basically trying to imply that I’m insulting you for having sex with men. I have sex with men too – what the f**k?

“I have sex with men and women, do I have to take a picture of my licking a f**king pussy? What the f**k! It doesn't make any sense. It's so stupid. It's so stupid and it's so evil. And it's just like this stupid f**king media sh*t, you know what I mean? It's the media sh*t. And this is why I go about myself the way the way I go about myself, and I do whatever the f**k I want. If the media is going to build me up to tear me down, you motherf**kers are not going to tear me down.

“I just make these f**king raps, and I'm just gonna wear these outfits, and f**king live my life. I can't deal with you motherf**kers, I don't have time for this sh*t.”

More at The Music...

Said GLAAD's Matt Kane last month:

"[That] is an ugly, archaic word that was used to stigmatize a population of people who suffer high rates of violence both here in the U.S. and abroad. As far as we’ve come in this society, seeing it used by an artist many young people may look up to is painful, but even more so for those young fans, many of whom GLAAD has heard from."

UPDATE:

GLAAD President Herndon Graddick reached out to Towleroad with a reaction to Banks' statements, and defense of the word "faggot".

Said Graddick:

"I've never said that Azealia Banks is anti-gay, but I think she talks like someone disconnected from the violence experienced by men who don't fit society's notions of masculinity -- violence that escalates when celebrities like Azealia Banks demean such people. It's the queer youth and those who might not fit the mold of masculinity who suffer most from this kind of crap she is peddling."

Additionally, GLAAD clarified that its blog posts in January about Banks were responses specifically to this tweet: https://twitter.com/AZEALIABANKS/status/287411995593039873.

Comments

1. If she were to die tomorrow I wouldn't be very sad...

Posted by: JD | Feb 19, 2013 11:21:48 AM

2. I know Banks is desperate for publicity--but this seems like the wrong way.

Posted by: db | Feb 19, 2013 11:27:21 AM

3. I love her. ^_^ Haters back off. ^_^

Posted by: alexander | Feb 19, 2013 11:32:29 AM

4. What a nasty piece of work. When her 15 minutes is up it's going to be hard for her to adapt to life in the real world.

Posted by: Lolly | Feb 19, 2013 12:29:18 PM

5. Commenters on here must not be very familiar with NYC downtown and BK gay club culture. F*GGOT, P*SSY, C*NT heard all day everyday. That's her fan base — not basic vanilla b*tches who just want to hear Adele and watch Glee.

Posted by: UDontKnow | Feb 19, 2013 1:49:02 PM

6. I love how these so-called "gay warriors" forgot that "f@ggot" applies to every race, but decided to call her and her family n#ggers. Did it ever once occur to you that maybe you yourself are even more offensive than she is? Madonna has said and done much worse, yet you love her. What you've succeeded in doing is showing us why white gay males are no different than their heterosexual brothers. And as for the comment about hispanics, sadly, this too is true. They are one of the most racists groups i've ever come across.

Posted by: C*unt Lover | Feb 19, 2013 2:20:05 PM

7. I am tired of this blog eating well-thought out comments.

Basically, noone should be calling banks the N-word, and that this seems to be acceptable speech among some black gays is no excuse either, in that case she needs to keep it in the confines.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Feb 19, 2013 2:43:18 PM

8. Keep digging that hole deeper, you stupid b*tch. You've already convinced Lady Gaga to cut your tracks from her album, so you may as well finish destroying what's left of your career.

Posted by: Firestorm | Feb 19, 2013 3:41:26 PM

9. I don't know who AZEALIA BANKS is; and I don't care.

Posted by: DukeJupiter | Feb 19, 2013 5:13:42 PM

10. Never heard of her until this media outbreak and really have no feelings on her one way or another. I do, however, take opposition to silly people getting bent out of shape over a word. As grown adults, and even developing teenagers, people need to realize that words can only hurt you as much as you let them. As a 30 year old gay man, I was called faggot plenty of times growing up.It got to the point that I learned that it is just a word, not some big and powerful spell that casts you into shame and hurt-unless you let it.

For those of you who will go off about doing it for the children (we don't want them bullied, etc.), it's called character development. It doesn't help anyone to be bubble wrapped against society; we need to teach our children how to deal with conflict like mature adults, not pointing to somebody and saying that they just used a wordy-dirty. Grow up! If you don't like the way someone talks, don't associate with them- no need to go on a b*tchy tirade about how offended you are by them. I can't help how you take the words that come out of my mouth. If it offends you, that's on you.

Posted by: Pewter | Feb 19, 2013 5:59:49 PM

11. Oh Azealia. Shut up already.

Posted by: Chicklets | Feb 19, 2013 7:04:08 PM

12. How pathetic that there are people here saying they don't care what she says because they love her and will drop $$ on her synthetic, mechanical music. These are the same people that go to Chick-Filet and spit in the face of other gay people. Have some balls and self-respect. The gay community just settles for crumbs which is why we get dumped on so often.

Posted by: tiki2 | Feb 19, 2013 7:23:30 PM

13. @TIKI2: Agreed. Mrs. Banks has every right to say what she wants, no matter how stupid it is, but I also have a right not to buy her crap. Giving money to her will just reinforce her behaviour, and show that anti-gay speech has no consequences.

If Perez had called her a n*****, you know she'd be crying a river about it instead of "justifying" it by dismissing it as just words.

I'm not giving one single dime to Orson Scott Card, and this sad waste of oxygen won't see any of my money either.

Posted by: Firestorm | Feb 19, 2013 7:31:32 PM

14. I absolutely despise when I see an African American discriminating against gays. It just boggles my mind. Do she know ANYTHING about history? Apparently she is too focused on herself. Pathetic.

Posted by: Jim | Feb 19, 2013 10:29:14 PM

15. @Jim - Why does it boggle your mind? We are not the same in any way, shape or form. Please don't try to compare being black to being gay! As a black gay man I have and still experience prejudice from WHITE GAY MALES in West Hollywood! Not to mention the ignorant comments in this blog. The first thing they attacked this woman on was her color! So what if she were Asian or Hispanic? Would she have been called racial slurs for those ethnicities as well? It all fine and dandy to preach equality, but this blog proves that white gay males are no different than their straight counter parts.

Posted by: Landon | Feb 21, 2013 1:45:23 AM

16. Just randoming researching this chick after hearing a song by her. Skipping the purchase.

Lol, I heart you, Hugh!!