Gay Marriage | Gay Parents | Illinois | News

GOP Might Fire Illinois Chair For Support of Marriage Equality

Just last month, Illinois Republican Chairman Pat Brady started calling on lawmakers to support marriage equality. At the time, Brady said: "Giving gay and lesbian couples the freedom to get married honors the best conservative principles. It strengthens families and reinforces a key Republican value - that the law should treat all citizens equally."

6a00d8341c730253ef017ee6e86ff2970d-800wiThis led many Republicans calling for his resignation. Even NOM demanded Brady step down from his post.

Yesterday, Brady received a phone call in which he was told GOP leaders plan to meet next month to discuss his possible removal. All this because of his vocal support for marriage equality.

WBEZ reports:

Brady’s ouster would require the weighted vote of three-fifths of the state central committee. The votes are weighted differently based on turnout in the March primary. Committeeman Jim Oberweis, a state senator, said there are enough votes to fire Brady.

“We’d have exactly the same reaction if suddenly Pat decided to talk about the merits of Obamacare,” Oberweis told WBEZ Friday. Brady has said his position on gay marriage is personal, and that he wasn’t speaking on behalf of the party when he made his original statement. He’s since refused to step down.

Brady also spoke to Crain's Chicago Busine about the news:

"Absolutely not," Mr. Brady replied when I asked if he's willing to change his mind. "The more and more I talk to people, the more I'm convinced. (Allowing same-sex marriage) is the right thing to do."

The GOP meeting is scheduled to take place March 9.

Comments

1. LCR JAY : Keep talking, and you'll find your party regulated to complete obscurity and totally ineffectual.

But this isn't going to happen. The Republican Party WILL evolve; it HAS to. Rational people who have some real life experience know plenty of gay people, and are not just sympathetic, but supportive of their most basic right to the pursuit of happiness.

What you represent in a decidedly un-American ideal. If you hate what America is about so much, get the f*ck OUT, and move to Iran.

Posted by: TheGay | Feb 24, 2013 1:25:53 PM

2. I called Brady’s office and left a message thanking him for his support.

Posted by: Drew | Feb 24, 2013 2:56:46 PM

3. Republicans are oppressive idiots. Is anyone surprised that they would remove a person who speaks his mind?

Posted by: Andy | Feb 24, 2013 2:57:00 PM

4. LCR JAY....YOU ARE AN IDIOT

Posted by: Robert Bomer | Feb 24, 2013 2:57:44 PM

5. The only ideological purity for Republians is "NO!" Double down if Obama supports it.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Feb 25, 2013 12:28:04 PM

6. I just want to say I am a Gay, and I vote Republican, and yes you can be a Conservative and Support Marriage Equality. I support a strong National Defense, I support Low Taxess, Less Regulation and cut as much red tape as possible, and I believe we have a spending problem that needs to be fixed, I do not support taxing anyone. I think we need to pass a Fair Tax, legalize Marriage Equality and preserve our National Defense

Posted by: Nathan Babcock | Feb 25, 2013 3:18:26 PM

7. and for the record there is Civil Marriage and Religous Marriage so when we are attempting to legalize Marriage Equality they are talking about Civil Marriage Certificate, and if the law is passed it will include religous language that will allow any religous organization or Pastor from having soleminize a Marriage between 2 men if it is against his conscience

Posted by: Nathan Babcock | Feb 25, 2013 3:21:11 PM

8. Oberweis is this creepy person who keeps trying to buy elections with his millions made from forcing babies to drink his milk. He has this smile when he talks that projects " I am lying about everythig i'm saying!" He's in cahoots with the reactionary churches & the R.C. he panders to a small vocal minority who runs the repugs. He is a complete ass.

Posted by: mike/ | Feb 26, 2013 8:37:19 AM

9. Keep it up GOP...how mature, you don't like what Quinn is doing so you want to fire him?? I'm not American but I will never bote Republican because it's always YOUR WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!!!!!

GO PAT QUINN!!! PASS MARRIAGE EQUALITY!!!!!

Posted by: Lori | Feb 26, 2013 10:19:36 AM

10. The GOP Republicans keep digging a hole deeper & deeper...before you know it, the majority of the States will be BLUE....I guess the Republicans still haven't learned their lesson yet, there is no denying that Marriage Equality is here and DOMA is going to get the boot!!!! And by not conforming to these current issues, you will never win the Presidency again!!!

Posted by: Lori | Feb 26, 2013 10:23:33 AM