Barack Obama | Boy Scouts | News

Obama: Gays Should Be Allowed In Boy Scouts

Obama

President Obama today stated that he believes the Boy Scouts of America should end its ban on gays in the organization.

From CBS News:

President Obama responded with a simple "Yes" when he was asked on Sunday by CBS Evening News anchor Scott Pelley whether the Boy Scouts of America should open their organization to openly gay members.

His reason? "My attitude is that gays and lesbians should have access and opportunity the same way everybody else does, in every institution and walk of life."

"The Scouts are a great institution that are promoting young people and exposing them to opportunities and leadership that will serve people for the rest of their lives," Mr. Obama continued, "And I think nobody should be barred from that."

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Wow...

Posted by: AnonaGay | Feb 3, 2013 7:42:31 PM

2. cue the GOP telling the President how "out of touch" he is.

and cue millions of young people feeling empowered by the words of their President.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Feb 3, 2013 7:57:29 PM

3. I just don't get how you can be a GOProuder, watch your President take so much leadership towards your equality, and basically say, "meh, he sucks." You really have to hate yourself to take that point of view.

Posted by: kp05 | Feb 3, 2013 8:04:33 PM

4. KP05, their objection(s) to the President are obvious, and incredibly sad.

simply put - if they don't make a big stink about hating everything done by "the Black Liberal President" while also denigrating "all those stereotypical leftist gays" then they don't earn their daily amount of almost-tolerance that they've been conditioned to accept.

that, and in many cases it's projected anger - the blacks and liberals they've been brought up to loathe are doing more for them than their own white conservative families, and communities, ever have and likely ever will.

But here we have it - President Obama once again sending a message of hope to millions of young people across America (and the world) that he is on their side.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Feb 3, 2013 8:13:21 PM

5. Thank you Mr Obama for again using your voice to lead the nation in the direction of equality for all our citizens.

Posted by: andrew | Feb 3, 2013 8:45:26 PM

6. We got him elected twice. Homophobes will add more the their "I hate The President" list.

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | Feb 3, 2013 9:57:16 PM

7. Ugh if only I could get the opportunity to vote for him again one more time!

Posted by: NY2.0 | Feb 3, 2013 10:16:29 PM

8. I have to neurotically multiple post because I have no real life of my own, am Canadian, and am compensating for a tiny penis by wearing makup to make it appear that I have bruises I didn't earn in fights I never had.

Becuase I'm a c*nt. F*ck me, please.

Posted by: LITTLEKIWI | Feb 3, 2013 11:22:32 PM

9. Whoever posted the nasty comments above in Little Kiwi's name should grow the f@ck up and act like a responsible adult. Just because Kiwi often resorts to this tactic, doesn't make it right.

Posted by: andrew | Feb 4, 2013 1:04:52 AM

10. Am Canadian? Give me a break Rick/Jason.

Posted by: BETTY | Feb 4, 2013 2:41:29 AM

11. Thank you Mr. President. The world is changing for the better, and I am glad he seeing that Americans wants equality for everyone, including gays, and he is taking the lead to help effectuate change.

Posted by: FunMe | Feb 4, 2013 2:44:43 AM

12. I hope you all see now why we had to cut the President some slack, in a tight race, to advance our cause in the right time and place... otherwise, we might very well be hearing the exact opposite point of view from a Republican president right now.

Posted by: Jack | Feb 4, 2013 7:43:55 AM

13. =-)
    *\o/*

Posted by: V-8 | Feb 4, 2013 8:02:16 AM

14. In the Philadelphia area in the 60's, I was in packs 227 and 335, before I knew what gay was! I came out in 1973. I still do not see what their problem is!

Posted by: billmiller | Feb 4, 2013 9:22:26 AM

15. @BILLMILLER...nor do I. Scouting was one of the high points of my growing up. I will never forget many of the things I learned in my troop, and I feel like scouting prepared me, to a point, for my eventual college education. It certainly didn't deter me from continued study, which I learned was a GOOD thing to do in scouts.

Posted by: Chip | Feb 4, 2013 2:46:56 PM

16. As I have posted before, in the late 1930's in my Boy Scout Troop on Long Island, New York, our Scoutmaster was an openly Gay man and I was in the "Queer" Patrol. We had three other "Strait" Patrols. No one gave us any problems. Is the fact that the Mormon Religion is taking over the Boy Scouts the only reason the Scouts have changed? Have Parents or Scouts, themselves, complained about Gay members?

Posted by: Jerry6 | Feb 6, 2013 11:56:36 AM