Colorado | Discrimination | Education | News | Transgender

BigGayDeal.com

Colorado School Bars 6-Year-Old Trans Girl from Using Girl's Restroom; Parents File Civil Rights Complaint: VIDEO

Coy

First-grader Coy Mathis has been barred from using the girls' bathroom at her Colorado school because she is transgender. She has male genitalia but has identified as a girl since 18 months and living as a girl since age 4, Salon reports:

But the school doesn’t see her that way. W. Kelly Dude, an attorney for the Fountain-Fort Carson School District, said the school’s decision “took into account not only Coy but other students in the building, their parents, and the future impact a boy with male genitals using a girls’ bathroom would have as Coy grew older.” Adding, “However, I’m certain you can appreciate that as Coy grows older and his male genitals develop along with the rest of his body, at least some parents and students are likely to become uncomfortable with his continued use of the girls’ restroom.”

The letter goes on to allege that Mathis’ presence in the women’s bathroom would be “psychologically damaging” later in life, and so the school chose to address the matter now.

The Mathis family has filed a complaint with the Colorado Civil Rights Division, the first claim to test the state’s Anti-Discrimination Act, which includes protections based on gender identity.

Watch several news reports and an interview with Coy's parents, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. These parents are out of their mind - seriously now this kid has a penis so he is still a boy! And these irresponsible idiot parents are making him a walking target for bullying.

Posted by: jaragon | Feb 28, 2013 6:02:13 PM

2. DrDonna, are you an actual doctor?

Posted by: Ted | Feb 28, 2013 6:29:16 PM

3. @Ted, no, I'm an engineer. My name is a reference to Dr. Who. That said, I am a trans woman who has spent a decent amount of time reading up on the entire subject, and I'm quite familiar with almost all of the topics involved, since they are of personal interest.

Posted by: TheDrDonna | Feb 28, 2013 7:11:21 PM

4. OK, thanks. I never saw Dr. Who, so that one went over my head. :-)

Posted by: Ted | Feb 28, 2013 8:40:39 PM

5. All I say is this child be removed from any form of media 'reflective' of his/her self - grown up's have every right to comment on parents but no right to comment on a child. I'm offended by comments here by obviously adults that do identify as trans, but I'm sorry at him/ her age, no person can identify.

Posted by: Scotsman | Feb 28, 2013 8:43:53 PM

6. "Deeply othering"?

Dear goddess, would someone please bulldoze the BS factory?

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 28, 2013 9:01:00 PM

7. @Scotsman you're offended by the commentary of those here who identify as trans?

Posted by: TheDrDonna | Feb 28, 2013 9:02:42 PM

8. @Scotsman you're offended by the commentary of those here who identify as trans?

Posted by: TheDrDonna | Feb 28, 2013 9:02:45 PM

9. So you read I Know Why The Drag Queen Sings?

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 28, 2013 9:03:39 PM

10. Well I had neighbor who at three expressed she was a girl despite being born with a penis.Her parents wouldn't allow her to do anything associated with girls ...She was a very sad child.She killed herself at age seventeen Apparently in her suicide note she expressed how she felt she was born in the wrong body.Although she lived as a boy after her sister told me about some of the contents of the suicide note .I refer to her rather than him.These parents waited three years before they let this child live as a boy.The pics and video show her with boy clothes and haircut until she is about four.She is six she is not hormones.She is not having surgery.If she is not really TG she can get boys clothes and cut her hair.I saw how sad her eyes looked in those images of her when she was dressed like a boy and happy she looked as a girl.Its OK you don't understand it many Straights don't understand how you can be attracted to a man.They think that is abnormal,unnatural,sick....as well.

Posted by: Kim | Feb 28, 2013 10:55:31 PM

11. @Scotsman: also, in case you wanted to know more:

Posted by: Thedrdonna | Feb 28, 2013 11:22:09 PM

12. David Ahearn, you really are the most ignorent, bigoted person I've ever had the misfortune to come across as well as mysoginystic. Your logic is startling! If the surgery fixes it then you shouldn't have the surgery? Actually it's when you have the surgery and you still don't feel "fixed" that you have a problem. That's why trans people go through years of psychological evaluation BEFORE they're allowed to have the surgery, to weed out the true trans from the people who have other gender/psychological problems.

Yunni, to be fair you didn't actually ask a question, you made a statement. But to answer the implied question, trans people have been reporting for years that they felt the "wrongness" of their bodies but adults put it down to "a phase" Coy is not the first of her age to be diagnosed as gd, as people realise that sexual identity is not written in stone and become more accepting of the lgbt community, more and more children are able to properly identify themselves and live a more fulfilling life in the body they know is the right one for them. All children like Coy are doing is confirming what older trans people have been saying for years. Gender is such a definitive part of your identity, how would you feel if you were forced to live as a man? When you know what you are, now try imagining that your body was lying too.

David Ahear, I'm a woman, I had the immense luck of even being born a woman and as a girl I was NOT fragile, I'd have trouble identifying any woman in my family that was. The fragile ones in my family are boys, always have been. I always wondered what was wrong with us, then I watched this and it answered so many questions. We force gender distinctions on children and in doing so also enforce mysogynistic behavoir in both our sons and daughters. I'm not leaving the link here for you because obviously you have a very narrow, conservative view of life. But for others, this is a great video and the guy giving the lecture is honest. We damage our children by enforcing gender on them. We should allow them to discover who they are, whatever that means to them.

Posted by: Lucy O'Sullivan | Mar 1, 2013 10:31:21 AM

13. I don't think 5 or 6 is the appropriate age to see genitalia of the opposite sex. I don't case if you are liberal and you don't care about kids being cruel. The child was offered a bathroom that would had been discreet and respectful. I hate how these parents are embarrassing their child just to make some stupid point. Yes stupid. Everyone needs to get off their high horse and let children just be!!!!!

Posted by: priscilla | Mar 6, 2013 5:38:36 PM

14. for those of you who don't know how to be respectful you shouldn't comment. There is no way that this little girl should not be able to use the females bathroom. She has always Identified as a girl, in my eyes that makes her a girl. You wouldn't like it if someone told you just because you were born with brown eyes you couldn't go somewhere. well think of this like that.She was born in the wrong body, her head tells her something different from what she sees when she looks in the mirror, She is already having enough confusion about that. She doesn't need disrespectful people talking on the internet. And referring to Transgender people as "those" people, s rude and wrong. Did anyone teach you manners?

Posted by: Madalicexii | Mar 11, 2013 12:45:48 PM