Comic Books | News | NOM | Orson Scott Card

DC Comics Hires Homophobic Sci-Fi Author Orson Scott Card to Pen New Superman Series

Superman

DC Comics just announced a digital-first series called the Adventures of Superman this week, which is launching in April, Comics Alliance reports:

Among those contributing are ComicsAlliance favorites Jeff Parker (Bucko, Red She-Hulk) and Chris Samnee (Daredevil, The Rocketeer: Cargo of Doom), who will collaborate on a story about Superman's first encounter with Lex Luthor. But before that, Adventures of Superman begins with a two-part story written by popular novelist Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game) and drawn by the great Chris Sprouse and Karl Story

Unfortunately, for DC Comics, Card is a well-known homophobe and anti-gay activist who in 2008 called for the overthrow of government if Prop 8 fails.

If you want a good sample of his writings on gays, check out this column entitled Homosexual "Marriage" and Civilization.

You may recall that two years ago Card was under fire for penning a new printing of Hamlet. William Alexander wrote a review of it:

Here's the punch line: Old King Hamlet was an inadequate king because he was gay, an evil person because he was gay, and, ultimately, a demonic and ghostly father of lies who convinces young Hamlet to exact imaginary revenge on innocent people.

And finally, not sure what his status is at the moment, but last we checked he was a board member of the National Organization for Marriage.

Comments

1. Card is a Mormon with huge contradictions in his thinking. I well remember a conversation we had online during one of his appearances on AOL.

I asked him why he chose to put all those young teenagers together in Ender's Game and explicitly tell the reader that they were nude. Why wasn't there any sexual tension? His reply was that teenagers are too young to think of sex.

That bizarre prejudice and lack of clear thinking on the part of a writer stopped any enjoyment I had gotten from the book.

Posted by: Guy | Feb 9, 2013 12:50:37 AM

2. I mean obviously I am gay and naturally don't like homophobes or anti-gay bigots, however what does Orson Scott Card's homophobia or anti-gay bigotry have to do with a Superman comic? Superman isn't gay and non of the main characters in Superman are gay, so who cares.

Posted by: The_Nephilim | Feb 9, 2013 1:09:16 AM

3. @Guy: Card actually said that? Has he ever been in a boys locker room while in 8th or 9th grade? Maybe he really should do the Superman comics - he must know what it is like to be from another planet.

Posted by: Bill | Feb 9, 2013 2:25:39 AM

4. On Card: For those of you who think you can't read him any more because of his politics, take another look: his books have gotten really, really bad, to the point of being unreadable. They're talky, self-indulgent, empty and downright boring. Interestingly enough, in an early work, "Songbird," he penned a gay relationship quite sympathetically, although it ended tragically. But those who perpetrated the tragedy got their just deserts, quite brutally.

Re: DC: I was encouraged when they started "Earth 2" with a a gay Green Lantern -- and then they killed off his boyfriend at the end of the first issue and haven't picked it up again (it's on issue 8, and the story's gone down the toilet as well). Marjorie Liu, on the other hand, is writing the new Astonishing X-Men story line for Marvel -- the one in which Northstar marries his boyfriend -- and is using their relationship to generate a lot of the plot. Marvel also has to its credit sympathetically portrayed gay relationships in X-Factor and Young Avengers, both of which are handled very well. (Shatterstar trying to explain his feelings to Rictor, whom he loves, is one of the most appealing scenes I've run across.) Marvel has an ongoing theme of tolerance, which is kind of amusing in these series: it's OK to be gay, it's not OK to be a mutant.

So I'm not quite persuaded about claims of general homophobia in the industry -- while it may be there, in Marvel at least it doesn't appear in print. DC, not so much -- or maybe they just can't deal with the subject maturely.

As for Card penning Superman -- I think it's going to be a hoot, given that his writing has degenerated so badly. He may be the one who finally kills Superman off for good. (I had occasion to review a collection of short plays developed from some of his stories. In each instance, the play was better.)

Posted by: Hunter | Feb 9, 2013 8:06:13 AM

5. While I am a firm supporter of rights for homosexuals, I do think it is utterly ridiculous to bias your opinion on the works of someone solely because that person is against something you believe in. If you did this for everything, you wouldn't like anything at all.
    I'll continue to read his works, whilst eating Chick-fil-A. :)

That's my piece.

Posted by: Paskaan | Feb 9, 2013 9:35:29 AM

6. Just made a change.org petition calling for DC Comics to end their association with Orson Scott Card. http://www.change.org/petitions/dc-comics-dump-orson-scott-card-from-a-new-superman-storyline

Posted by: Travis | Feb 9, 2013 12:44:13 PM

7. You dumbshits really do not know the definition of homophobia do you!

Posted by: Bruce Welty | Feb 9, 2013 6:30:07 PM

8. Is Ender's Game really an apology for hitler/genocide? Isn't it basically about how conflict is often based off of radical misunderstandings and how children are brainwashed into carrying out terrible atrocity without being away of what they're doing? Perhaps an entirely too subtle indictment of the military-industrial-complex. I get that. But an apology for genocide? I think there's a lot of good stuff in those books, which made it all the more tragic when I found out about the vile beliefs he consistently puts forward. : (

Posted by: Elliott | Feb 9, 2013 8:51:18 PM

9. Some combination of stroke + Mormon brainwashing makes a lot of sense.

Posted by: Elliott | Feb 9, 2013 8:54:34 PM

10. In my opinion, he has the right to defend his (and his church's) definition of marriage. Is that opinion popular? Obviously not. But to wrinkle your nose and whine because someone has an opposing viewpoint is childish. It's like if I stopped watching Christopher Nolan's movies if I found out he was gay. Just silly... Mark my words, superman is going to live past Orson Scott Card, so if he does in fact infect it with a perspective that you dislike, just wait, and another reincarnation of the superhero will come around. But for now, give it a shot - who knows? Maybe he will do the series justice, even though he has an unpopular opinion. Just my 2 cents...

Posted by: Sean Freeman | Feb 10, 2013 2:04:03 AM

11. Card is a heinous human being, and there will be no DC comics dollars from me as log as he's with DC.

Posted by: Tarc | Feb 10, 2013 2:21:56 AM

12. Actually, marvel is quite gay positive, and features quite a few gay superheroes and superhero couples (Wiccan and Hulkling, Rictor and Shatterstar, Northstar and his human partner, etc.)

Posted by: Tarc | Feb 10, 2013 2:25:03 AM

13. Whatever his politics, when I went to one of his writing seminars he saw that I was not eating at lunch (didn't have the money for it) and gave me 20 bucks for food, saying no guest of his would go hungry. I see more virile hate against him on places like this then I have ever seen from him in the things he has written. He may be misguided and sometimes hypocritical, but he is not malicious and dripping venom like many here.

Posted by: Alex | Feb 10, 2013 10:36:34 AM

14. @ Elliott: Here's a link to an essay that outlines the Ender/Hitler parallels.

Posted by: Rich F. | Feb 10, 2013 1:05:15 PM

15. I do so "love" how some people feel that Orson just has an opinion and fail at seeing the whole, anti-gay activist portion of his activities.

Seriously, he's a supporter of organizations and laws that actively persecutes homosexuals. But most of you see no problems with this? Or that some of the money he makes from readers likely have/will go into funds or foundations that want to continue treating homosexuals as second class citizens?

None of that is a problem? But what do I know, he's a misunderstood person because some people are picking on the poor, misunderstood man.

Posted by: 8mph Ansible | Feb 11, 2013 1:39:09 AM

16. So what? Unless he's planning to use this series to spread his viewpoint of homosexuality, then I couldn't care less. And even if he did, again, so what? The beauty here is that he has a right to his stance and to perpetuate it, and other people have a right to not buy into it or put money is his pocket. You can't silence every homophobe, or non-supporter of gay equality. This is a big world. Accept that not everyone is going to be a friend or an ally.

Posted by: Matt Kuksa | Feb 11, 2013 2:34:25 AM

17. I don't support Orson Scott Card's personal views, but as long as it doesn't affect his work I don't see it being an issue.
    A person has to be entitled to their opinions. Right or wrong they have just as much right to their views as we do ours

Posted by: Christopher King | Feb 11, 2013 9:18:08 PM

18. Christopher King: And we have the right to react to their expression of those views as we deem appropriate. It's called "the free marketplace of ideas."

Posted by: Hunter | Feb 12, 2013 6:46:17 AM

19. It's unfortunate that one side gets to toss the names around. It's okay to call someone homophobe or bigot (or worse, as I have seen here) for having religious beliefs regarding homesexuality? At one point does that make YOU a bigot or religiophobe?

Posted by: M. G. Mac | Apr 4, 2013 8:47:13 PM