Alabama | Education | Gay Slurs | News

BigGayDeal.com

Alabama Teacher Calls Gays 'an Abomination Against God', Allows 'Gorilla' Slur Against Michelle Obama: AUDIO

In Rogersville, Alabama, an investigation is underway after a student recorded Bob Grisham, the high school football coach also teaches psychology, spewing anti-gay slurs and condoning racist attacks on Michelle Obama in hisclassroom.

GrishamThe Times Daily reports:

The investigation includes a 1-minute, 24-second audiotape of Grisham asking who knows who is behind the 600-calorie school lunch.

“Fat butt Michelle Obama,” he said. “Look at her. She looks like she weighs 185 or 190. She’s overweight.”

Male voices interject comments during the discussion, at one point referring to Michelle Obama as a “fat gorilla.”

Later in the tape, Grisham referred to the U.S. as going in the “wrong direction” and tells the students they can “get pissed off at me or not. You can go tell the principal, call the superintendent and tell her. I don’t believe in queers. I don’t like queers, I don’t hate them as a person, but what they do is wrong and an abomination against God.” The tape was reportedly recorded by a student Monday and took place on school campus during the school day.

Grisham told the TimesDaily on Wednesday afternoon he misspoke. “I misspoke in a debate-type situation,” he said. “I have no hatred toward anyone or any group. People that know my heart, they know that.”

Listen to Grisham's rant, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. My supervisor was from Alabama. When I told her I was going through on a visit, she said "You better stay in Huntsville. Outside of there, you're not going to like those people and they sure as hell won't like you."

Posted by: melvin | Feb 1, 2013 2:10:22 PM

2. You cannot say that all white men from the South are racist, xenophobic, misogynist and homophobic bigots.

However, and quite unfortunately, whenever you hear a white man spewing in public so righteously hateful homophobic, racist and all-around bigoted words, as if the world owes it to him and should listen, chances are, he is from the South.

Posted by: Maguita | Feb 1, 2013 2:15:36 PM

3. I agree there's a problem especially in the south. Like I said on another thread on TR today; the main obstical regarding gay rights in the U.S. is based primarily in the south, and this is primarily due to evangelical Christians. To some degree it's also due to the sever trauma that occurred in the post civil war reconstruction south, among all people white and black. It took the south until essentially the 1960s - 1970s to really recover from the civil war. And ALL white southern people were demonized and to some extent still are as being a certain way, especially of course by 'progressives'. It has left a very bad taste in many southerner's mouths down to this day. I was playing Devil's Advocate in my previous posts, but still most of what I said is true. I'm especially curious to hear from a black person with roots in the south why so many black people still after all that occurred love the south, southern culture and traditions. And I'm not trying to be disrespectful to black people or white southerners in any of my posts.

P.S. I guess I should have referred to that as the war of northern aggression.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 1, 2013 2:29:42 PM

4. Further proof that fundamentalism is a CULT of hate and has no place in a civilized society. The religions snd the HATE of these fake Christians needs to be eradicated.

Posted by: FunMe | Feb 1, 2013 2:39:16 PM

5. I'm surprised Rick didn't rush in here to defend this degenerate coach. Oh never mind...I see Ratbastard is doing it for her.

Posted by: Jase | Feb 1, 2013 2:51:39 PM

6. Why is it whenever these idiots get caught they say they misspoke and their words do not reflect what is in their hearts? Get real and get lost and go get another job! You certainly should not be employed in a public school system.

Posted by: Swiminbuff | Feb 1, 2013 2:59:59 PM

7. He has JASE. Just under a different name.

Posted by: MIKE | Feb 1, 2013 3:01:18 PM

8. Time after time we hear, with heartbreaking frequency, about LGBT kids killing themselves due in part to bullying by their fellow students. Chances are very good that among the students in that classroom, his other classes, or on the football team there are a few gay kids. Well it's walking skid-marks like this @sshole who empower those bullies, give them implicit permission to keep doing it. He's a one-man "It Gets Worse" campaign and he has NO business in public education.

It doesn't MATTER that he's one man or the size of the town or the population of his state. He's charged with the education of a diverse student population and this is some pretty d@mn good evidence that he's a miserable failure at it. He *should* be fired.

Posted by: Caliban | Feb 1, 2013 3:10:49 PM

9. You said what you thought. You didn't misspeak asswipe!

Posted by: greenfuzz | Feb 1, 2013 3:21:24 PM

10. Amen, Caliban.

These bigots seem to think that "gays" are magical creatures that materialize out of thin air in downtown urban centres in their twenties.

the bigot has gay students. just asa great many of the bigots against the Boy Scouts potential policy change have their own gay kids at home.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Feb 1, 2013 3:27:56 PM

11. Ratbastard,

you've made some interesting points today not all of which I disagree with.

But you asked, why do so many Black Americans have a fondness for the South considering its history? Well, number one is family and family history.

But there's another reason some Blacks prefer the South to the North. The treatment of Blacks in the North wasn't all hungs and kisses either--especially from police and city planners and banks.

Ratbastard, where did the worst race riots in America happen during the 1970s (over the issue of school busing)? You know this particular city very well.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 1, 2013 3:35:15 PM

12. "hugs and kisses"

Why the hell did I say "hung"...every Black man aint that lucky. I know.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 1, 2013 3:37:10 PM

13. How unlucky for this poor teacher that the one time that kid turns on the recorder--for what must have been no reason--teach spews a completely uncharacteristic load of hate.

With teachers like this, the distinct might as well just print the welfare application on the back of their diplomas.

Posted by: JJ | Feb 1, 2013 4:16:50 PM

14. and since I don't know this fool's heart.. what is in his heart about GLBT people is exactly what he said in that videotape...to me there is nothing worse than a person who back pedals and cannot stand up for what they believe...

Posted by: Bernie | Feb 1, 2013 7:48:16 PM

15. Please, do not paint all of us who live in Alabama with the same brush. It's very disingenuous.

Posted by: JRW | Feb 1, 2013 8:20:11 PM

16. Didn't that football player Culliver say something about his "heart" as an excuse? Do they have the same speech writer or PR guy?

Posted by: Bill | Feb 1, 2013 9:05:02 PM

17. This man sure seems like he'd be a fantastic lover. Gentle and thorough; attentive and giving in every way. Bet he's a cuddler, too.

Props to the kid with the recorder. I hope you carry that punishment like a badge of honor, kid!!!

Posted by: Tanoka | Feb 1, 2013 10:51:36 PM

18. fire him

Posted by: Reality | Feb 1, 2013 10:58:58 PM

19. I'm glad I'm not the only one recognizing that the "it's not what's really in my heart line" is starting to become the standard bigoted idiot defense.
    Also, @RATBASTARD, well-played. You denounce us for generalizing about Southern whites. Then you immediately start generalizing about Southern blacks. You have successfully confirmed my generalization that conservatives forget what they say as soon as it comes out of their mouths.

Posted by: Dan B | Feb 1, 2013 11:55:56 PM

20. He is as ugly as hat full of arseholes yet says Michelle is overweight!?..typical self entitled egotistical white male bigot.

Posted by: grillagal | Feb 2, 2013 12:41:40 AM

21. @Derrick from Philly,

Derrick, I can tell you that busing in Boston during the 70s had A LOT to do with CLASS, which the 'progressive' elite [whom then and now DID NOT bus their kids to sh*tty dangerous inner-city schools] ignored or poo-pooed back then and still do today. They choose essentially one of the few working class/poor inner city white 'ethnic' neighborhoods for their social experiement.

There was a great fear in Boston at that time that the city would end up like Detroit, Newark, etc., and that 'white flight' needed to be stopped. Busing actually made it worse, and included middle class black people and others [it isn't fair to refer to it as 'white flight'; it was middle class flight.

I went to Catholic HS for a few years in Boston in the 80s and it was very diverse, with plenty of black, Asian and Hispanic students from the city, just like the white kids. These black kids families were willing to spend the $ to send their kid to a private Catholic school over the 'desegregated' [by this time, ALL the major schools except for the exam schools were overwhelming minority] public schools.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 2, 2013 11:26:43 AM

22. Amazing that he also teaches psychology. He must explore the evolution of bigotry and ignorance into virulent hate supported by a guy in the sky. Incredible in 2013.

Posted by: acd | Feb 2, 2013 1:46:05 PM

23. @ ratbastard

"the main obstical regarding gay rights in the U.S. is based primarily in the south, and this is primarily due to evangelical Christians"

The LDS church is HQ in Utah.
    The Aryan Nations is in Idaho and has declared the Pacific NW to be the Homeland.
    The KKK and the Nation of Islam are HG in Illinois.
    The real Muslims (also anti-gay) are in Dearborn.
    Focus On The Family is HQ in Colorado Springs
    The Christian Coalition is HQ in Washington DC
    National Organization For Marriage is HQ Princeton NJ
    The Catholic Church is HQ in New York

Need I go on?

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 3, 2013 11:36:36 AM

24. These southerners complain they are treated as second class citizens in the minds of the 'elite'. Well, to them I say if they only refused to consider what the color of a person's skin is, who anyone sleeps with, or what language sounds like coming out of anyone's mouth, they might find my sympathetic. Until then, they are treated better than they deserve.

P.S. Those Southerners who still dwell on a butt kicking that occurred nearly 150 years ago need only to look in their family histories to find who really is to blame.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Feb 3, 2013 5:28:03 PM

25. Oh David..."the real Muslims"? Come on.

Posted by: BETTY | Feb 4, 2013 2:39:31 AM