Gay Marriage | Minnesota | News

Minnesota GOP Lawmaker to Media: Gays Who Tell You They're 'Born That Way' are Lying - VIDEO

Gruenhagen

Minnesota State Rep. Glenn Gruenhagen, R-Glencoe appeared at a press conference yesterday in response to the introduction of a marriage equality bill (which has bipartisan support), and Gruenhagen intended to put the fear of God in the media.

Said Gruenhagen:

"We're talking about gay marriage. We're not talking about an immutable characteristic like the color of your skin. The human genomap was completed in 2003. There is no gay gene. Okay? So the concept that you're 'born that way' and it's an immutable characteristic is an unscientific LIE. Okay? The human genomap has been completed. I urge you, as the news media, to give both sides a fair and open hearing on this debate because it has tremendous ramifications not only for our society but for our children in general."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

The Uptake notes: "The latest research into a "gay gene" contradicts what Gruenhagen said. Research is focused on epigenetics, throwaway DNA that triggers hormone production in fetuses. Although scientists haven't found a "gay gene," they haven't found a straight one either. This isn't the first time Gruenhagen has made up facts. A few years ago, he claimed alcoholism and drug addiction is not a disease despite a consensus of medical opinion and evidence showing a physiological dependence."

(via good as you)

Comments

1. I wonder if he believes that he was not born heterosexual as well?!

Posted by: J. Alan | Feb 28, 2013 11:33:15 AM

2. Glenn's phone number is 651-296-4229. You can call him up like I just did and demand a personal apology. I just think I happen to know a thing or two more about the truth of my life than does some partisan political hack half a country away who I've never met.

Posted by: Andy G. | Feb 28, 2013 11:35:11 AM

3. it's amazing how Republicans dont' give a damn, at all, about young gay people committing suicide.

This man has blood on his hands. Typical GOP scum.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 28, 2013 11:46:48 AM

4. He may be wrong but don't they look like a fun group?

Posted by: andrew | Feb 28, 2013 11:56:01 AM

5. This is stupid. Regardless of whether we are born this way(which I believe) or not, doesn't change the fact that we should be able to live our lives as we see fit. No one is born a Christian or with a christian gene yet there are hundreds of laws protecting their right to be a christian. Religious choices are protected by law but sexuality, which many do believe to be immutable characteristics like skin color ,is not. That makes no sense.

Posted by: Derrick | Feb 28, 2013 12:22:12 PM

6. shouldn't*

Posted by: Derrick | Feb 28, 2013 12:22:29 PM

7. So, according to this freak, left-handed people are not "born that way." Apparently I also chose to have prematurely gray hair (began when I was 14), because they haven't found a gene for that either.

Posted by: CPT_Doom | Feb 28, 2013 1:15:50 PM

8. Mr. Gruenhagen, I'll take a LIE detector test and answer the truth: I was born this way. I have no memory of ever feeling different, or thinking different, or acting different than has not been true to my self. I am gay. Always have been and always will be. I tried everything, lost years of good living in the process, to try and not be gay. I even tried Jesus about four or five different way. Nothing could change me. Nothing will ever change me. I am gay. I would also like to shove your teeth so far down your throat that you would have to sit on your dinner plate to chew your next meal.

Posted by: jamal49 | Feb 28, 2013 3:00:25 PM

9. i love when people who aren't gay tell us all about being gay.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 28, 2013 3:20:31 PM

10. I have a question... Say Gay people were not born gay. They made a choice to have sex with the same gender. Wouldn't that be a basic human right anyway? So if you believe that no gay gene exists. Shouldn't everyone have the Right to choose who they have sex with? Without others butting into our choices. Hypothetically of course.

Posted by: DSO | Feb 28, 2013 4:02:47 PM

11. Politicians who insist that they don't stuff dead weasels up their ass are lying. It's just that simple. I know because science says so.

Posted by: stranded | Feb 28, 2013 5:41:31 PM

12. he's not too smart. and he plays the part well.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Feb 28, 2013 6:14:10 PM

13. If lying were a capital offense, there would be no republicans.

Posted by: ToThePoint | Feb 28, 2013 6:17:59 PM

14. !four decades of hair dye and Brylecreem saturation have finally really done their damage inside his thick skulled head.
    and you outstaters thought that our Crazy Shelly had all of the whackiness in this state wrapped up in her congressional district.

Posted by: vwdavy | Feb 28, 2013 6:23:08 PM

15. another Republican "brain trust" trying to quote science and twisting it to fit his own narrow and delusional definition....if you look at his non-verbal expressions he really looks like he is crazy

Posted by: Bernie | Feb 28, 2013 7:12:18 PM

16. Minnesota State Rep. Glenn Gruenhagen, R-Glencoe, Sir, you are an effing moron. I've been gay all of my life. I didn't choose anything, it's just the way I am. You never chose to be straight (although you clearly chose to be a low information brainwashed christian). Before you make such stupid statements, try getting an objective education on this subject, any subject, before you flap your lips and make an ass out of yourself...

Posted by: Robert M. | Feb 28, 2013 7:42:47 PM

17. i always thought Minnesota was the land of 10000 lakes but after this idiot and bachmann it is more likely the land of 10000 idiots. this clown and michele must have gone to the same christian mailorder college.

Posted by: walter | Feb 28, 2013 8:29:07 PM

18. Too much stupid here to completely address but:

"Skin color is immutable"???

Guess he doesn't get out to the beach much.

Posted by: Vint | Feb 28, 2013 10:52:54 PM