Beyoncé | News | Super Bowl

Here is Beyoncé's Super Bowl XLVII Halftime Show: VIDEO

Super-beyonce

Beyoncé and her LED stage dazzled halftime at Super Bowl XLVII, where she was joined by Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams of Destiny's Child.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. "Live" means that the only sound you hear vocally is the sound coming from the singer's mouh on the stage. Beyonce appeared to vocalize along to a vocally prepared backing track in parts of her performance. Therefore, she did not appear to sing absolutely live as promised.

Posted by: stephen lucas | Feb 3, 2013 10:53:50 PM

2. Great production, her singing not so much.

Posted by: RobWest | Feb 3, 2013 11:08:29 PM

3. She was really good! She definitely had some lip-synching in there, but not a lot. I found it a bit messy how it was song snippet after song snippet, and it lacked overall a concept. I agree with the commenter praising Madonna for her multiple eye levels. Her performance was much more grandiose and interesting. But I'd say B is the 2nd best I've seen, and Diana Ross third and...well, not many others did much for me.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Feb 3, 2013 11:28:15 PM

4. BeYAWNce.

Nuff said.

Posted by: Paulie | Feb 3, 2013 11:39:07 PM

5. Her halftime performance was entertaining, but I enjoyed Madonna's a lot more. That's probably in part because I enjoy Madonna's music a lot more.

I was nice to see Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams. Kelly, in particular, looked amazing! For me, Kelly has always upstaged Beyonce in the looks department, and tonight was no different. She was smokin'!

I don't care about the lip syncing thing. It's one thing if Celine Dion or Barbra Streisand lip sync a performance; their music lends itself to performances in which they stand at a microphone and sing. But Beyonce, Madonna, Janet, and most other pop superstars dance around energetically on stage during their performances and fans expect that. I know that it's pretty much impossible to dance like that, sing in tune, and sing without breathing heavily all at the same time. I'd rather get a great performance with lip syncing than a half-assed one that is sung live. Ever since Ashlee Simpson was caught lip syncing on SNL, lip syncing became this huge deal.

As far as lip syncing the National Anthem, I'm ambivalent. I totally understand that weather conditions, sound equipment, etc. can distort sound quality, especially in very large spaces. And I totally get that ensuring a flawless performance is about showing respect. But on the other hand, I wasn't offended by Roseanne Barr's rendition of the National Anthem. That's probably how I sound when I attempt to sing, if not worse. But that doesn't mean I'm any less patriotic or less respectful. It almost undermines the unity the anthem is supposed to foster if we limit it to those who can hit every note.

Posted by: John | Feb 3, 2013 11:48:49 PM

6. meh...

Posted by: tim | Feb 3, 2013 11:54:19 PM

7. Ugh. N*gger music.

Posted by: Foursixty | Feb 4, 2013 12:07:57 AM

8. All these same middle aged Fire Island trans-music queens cheered Madonna for Lipping her ass all over the stage...the same milqetoast 'bois' worship the ground Britney walks on, and croon about how innovative Gaga is. They just hate that Beyonce can do it better than their 'icons'...in almost every aspect. Then again...reading the nonsense that all these useless queens on here write regularly...the hate doesnt surprise me. Beyonce did a good job...not my fav from her...but light years ahead of her contemporaries. And GO RAVENS. The Niners lost me when their idiotic players opened their mouths and let their brain damage show.

Posted by: Lee | Feb 4, 2013 12:10:07 AM

9. Foursixty, shut up you racist idiot.

Posted by: Paulie | Feb 4, 2013 12:10:20 AM

10. Do you know why Beyonce sings "to the left, to the left"?

Cause n*ggers ain't got no rights.

Posted by: AtTheClub | Feb 4, 2013 12:23:42 AM

11. @ Paulie - make me. :) I'll say what I want, when I want.

Posted by: foursixty | Feb 4, 2013 12:29:24 AM

12. I am not impressed and it was definitely A LOT of lip syncing and a few live parts mixed

I'm was never really into her but I think I am tired of hearing about her... for a LONG while.

Posted by: Marky | Feb 4, 2013 12:46:23 AM

13. @John

Sorry to burst your bubble pal but Celine Dion has been lip syncing nearly entire concerts for 15+ years now

Posted by: Marky | Feb 4, 2013 12:50:16 AM

14. So many old white gay men get up-in-arms about Beyonce.

She's clearly getting the last laugh. Does that hurt?

Posted by: Mikey | Feb 4, 2013 12:51:40 AM

15. As usual Beyonce showed she is a consumate pro. Unfortunately she won't win much votes on this site. Simply because she doesn't wave the rainbow flag while picking the pockets of the gays. *cough Madonna and Lady Gaga* And yes she sang live. That mic was on. Congrats Bey, go celebrate tonight. You have earned it.

Posted by: Gabriel | Feb 4, 2013 12:53:07 AM

16. NEWSFLASH: Hurricane Beyonce wrecks the Superdome.

Posted by: deedrdo | Feb 4, 2013 1:06:35 AM

17. So negative! I love this blog but the comment section on most articles makes my skin crawl. Beyonce was chosen to sing at the Presidential Inauguration and the Superbowl in the same year. She can sing, dance and act. She's won/been nominated for too many awards to count, from Grammys and SAG awards to Billboard and MTV awards. Don't like her music? Don't listen to it. Don't understand how you can have so much rage about it to come to this blog and write a comment trashing her. In the words of another wonderful singer/dancer/actress who performed at the Superbowl... "What have you done for me lately?" Beyonce>haters.

Posted by: AJ | Feb 4, 2013 1:15:32 AM

18. Gabriel,

You are naive. Beyonce's mic was on but this was so that she could APPEAR to be live. She was able to say "yeah" and other words to make it APPEAR that she was singing live the whole way through.

It's being alleged on Huffington Post that she used pre-recorded vocals to a great extent. I believe it.

Posted by: stephen lucas | Feb 4, 2013 1:25:00 AM

19. I don't hate Beyonce. I felt that she didn't live up to my expectation, which had been driven up by the media prior to Super Bowl.

Let's leave audio/singing aside, the visual alone was sub par. Madonna had such a good visual for both stadium and TV audiences. It was captivating and mesmerising, not to mention it screamed Madonna. Madonna can't sing as well as Beyonce, I get that, but her performances really make up for that and more.

As for Beyonce's performance, despite the supposedly flawless and powerful singing, all I heard was grunt. And like some others have said, she mainly sang some background vocals. The biggest issue I had was the set list. There was no continuity between songs. They might have been her/the group's famous singles, but when done together, she still needed to learn from the pro on how to do a proper mash-up. It's not just Madonna who does it well, Kylie does a fabulous job too in linking songs together.

Let's face it, no matter how much hate is thrown at Madonna, she can put on a great show. Lady Gaga and Beyonce still have lots to learn from her.

Posted by: Alfred | Feb 4, 2013 1:31:49 AM

20. @Stephen Lucas, of course you believe it. Because you want to believe it. No effort by me or Beyonce herself will dissuade you from that. Anyways rock on Beyonce. Love you girl!

Posted by: Gabriel | Feb 4, 2013 1:51:29 AM

21. Bootilicious laid one tonight in that N'Orleans SuperDome. Thunder-thighs in boots does not make a star (neither do hair extensions)! That whole halftime thing stunk!

People have no concept of what talent really is, and that's a shame.

Posted by: AUTO-TUNE THIS ! | Feb 4, 2013 2:06:48 AM

22. @Marky,
    I did not know that. I've never seen Celine in concert nor do I have a desire to. I was just citing her as an example of someone whose style of music should be performed live since there is no justification for lip syncing it. I didn't mean to imply she was singing live. So shame on her. Unless she's doing cartwheels while singing The Power of Love, which would just be odd.

Posted by: John | Feb 4, 2013 2:12:31 AM

23. I loved her big finish with "Hang low" --- "Do they HANG LOW (hang low?)--do they HANG LOW (hang low?) Er...oh sorry I meant "Halo" ;)

Posted by: hang low | Feb 4, 2013 2:17:02 AM

24. Gabriel,

Beyonce is a fake - deal with it. Get your head out of cloud cuckoo land.

Posted by: stephen lucas | Feb 4, 2013 2:22:15 AM

25. Most of the comments on here are ridiculous. She is a very talented singer and performer. You can hate her if you want, but when you listen to her version of "The Way We Were" sung to Barbra Streisand at the Kennedy Center Honors, you can see she is a great singer.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Feb 4, 2013 2:34:26 AM