Hugh Jackman | I'm Not Gay | News

Gay Rumors Disrupting Hugh Jackman's 'Seemingly Idyllic' Life: VIDEO

Jackman

The "gay rumors" question that seems to follow Hugh Jackman to many a celebrity interview is back in a new Hollywood Reporter cover story, giving Jackman an opportunity to possibly express the same "ain't nothing wrong with it" sentiment espoused by evolved beings like Honey Boo Boo, and let the issue die.

But no:

Despite these friends and a seemingly idyllic life, Jackman admits rumors about his sexuality have taken a greater toll than previously acknowledged, especially on his wife. "Just recently, it bugs her," he says, blaming the Internet, which she frequents more than he does. (Jackman largely sticks to cricket sites and The Economist.) "She goes: 'It's big. It's everywhere!'"

His X-Men producer Lauren Shuler Donner shrugs off the gossip. "I have seen him with Deborra since the beginning of their trip to Hollywood, and I've been on five movie sets with him and have never seen him stray, have never seen him eye anyone. I met him when he did Oklahoma! [at London's Royal National Theatre in 1999]. He was genuine, hugely talented. He was in love with his wife that day and still is."

A behind-the-scenes clip of Jackman at his cover shoot, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. "Not every one is gay afflicted." Josh, I have no way of knowing if you're gay, but you are clearly afflicted.

Posted by: antb | Feb 13, 2013 4:26:26 PM

2. The headline and story isn't fair as presented, Andy. He didn't say it bothered his seemingly idyllic life--that was a quote from the author of the story. And as many comments note, it would be upsetting to any spouse--or to any person--to be accused of being not only a liar but an unfaithful liar. I hate to think how we treat our enemies if we treat our friends like this.

Posted by: Stefan | Feb 13, 2013 4:39:57 PM

3. I have a pretty good view of his downtown apartment. I've seen A LOT through my binoculars. Trust me, he's gay.

Posted by: Seymore | Feb 13, 2013 4:58:13 PM

4. Really, Frances? Everyone thats ever worked with him knows he's gay? Hmm, well, I worked with him and he never seemed or acted anything but a loving husband to his wife. Not a cad, not a partier, not self obsessed, just a genuinely nice person doing good things. And THAT'S what everyone I know thinks of him, having worked with him.

Posted by: Isaak | Feb 13, 2013 5:01:28 PM

5. I think Hugh is bisexual. In any case, he should stop complaining. He comes across as yet another homophobic Australian.

Posted by: sam | Feb 13, 2013 5:14:57 PM

6. OK let's hear from Ehrenstein, he's spent his career knowing everything about Hollywood (if that can be called a career).

Posted by: UFFDA | Feb 13, 2013 5:45:06 PM

7. seymore... i'm hoping that's a joke... otherwise he's got bigger problems!

sam... i don't think he complains about it... he gets asked about it all the time... purely because of his involvement in musical theater. had he only ever played wolverine, this wouldn't even be brought up.

Posted by: dt | Feb 13, 2013 5:54:22 PM

8. Maybe someone has already pointed out the obvious here but he only said the rumors get to his wife.

Where exactly is he saying he isn't gay or bisexual.

When it comes to these items, if the person doesn't flat out say they're totally heterosexual then the door remains wide open, if not flung open even more.

Here's an example: I am not gay.

I didn't lie, not at all. I am mostly gay.

Posted by: Michael | Feb 13, 2013 6:01:58 PM

9. Joseph was correct and Rock Hudson was only married once. It was Cary Grant and his 5 marriages and multiple children that had me confused since he had that long term relationship with Randolph Scott yet all his children and ex-wives are convinced he was 100% hetro but he wasn't. Hell, I even think Brian Brown with his 8 kids and his NOM group is a FLAMING SELF-LOATHING CLOSET CASE and no amount of impregnating women will erase that internalized homophobia his screams into the airwaves everyday.

Posted by: SFshawn | Feb 13, 2013 6:20:35 PM

10. I'm a straight female. Who cares, seriously we really need to stop spreading rumours. I'm sure gay men would love it if Hugh were gay, he's f**king hot. IT DOESN'T MATTER. I just want to say I can accept a gay leading man and still find him attractive. I hate the idea of ANYONE having to live lie because of how someone may judge them.

Posted by: Janet | Feb 13, 2013 6:58:38 PM

11. do not care

Posted by: Sean | Feb 13, 2013 7:12:06 PM

12. OOOOOOOOO no. Please don't be gay. He looks like he's got a little penis as most heteros do. Not cute, even by gay standards. Remember. If they play hard on TV, they're not hard in real life. In X men he can do all kinds of stuff (CG). In real life, he crashes into stages trying to do the same stuff he does in the movies. Please, don't insult gay people by even toying with it. No one cares whether he is or not, just his publicists who feel he's a small-peened uninteresting hetero guy.

Posted by: Nooooo | Feb 13, 2013 8:24:42 PM

13. He must be really good to have someone like the CIA attack him, you know they always start rumors about people being gay to destroy their reputation. It is an old psychological warfare thing to destroy a successful persons reputation to tear them down if they get too big or successful or god at what they do.

Posted by: Anonymous | Feb 13, 2013 8:33:45 PM

14. 1. I do believe the gay rumors...let's not fool ourselves. In 30 years someone will write about it.

2. We do put too much emphasis on celebs and their private lives

3. Maybe they are a committed couple and have a PRIVATE understanding?

4. He's hot and a so-so actor. Hehe...

That's all.

Posted by: bostonbeat | Feb 13, 2013 9:34:17 PM

15. Awhile back I read a photographer writing that something he came to accept was that there were male models who really are straight. The quote was something like "I mistook their good genes for vanity and thought they were simply in the closet."

I found that to be a damning statement. When we see a handsome man and think he "looks gay" are we more often than not actually thinking "He looks vain, so he must be gay."?

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 13, 2013 10:47:02 PM

16. Dude can sport a goatee… but all this speculation is a bit TMZ tacky.

Posted by: LJC | Feb 13, 2013 11:23:53 PM

17. There was an interview with Ricky Sinz a few years back (in an UNZIPPED article, I think) in which he teased that an A-list action movie star used to "enlist" his services and then belt show tunes at the top of his lungs while getting drilled up the go-go hole.

I'll admit, Jackman was my first thought. Seems like a perfect fit.

Tommy Boy is no signer, after all.

Posted by: FFS | Feb 14, 2013 2:43:59 AM

18. To Mrs Hugh Jackman: What's happening is wishful thinking writ large, in the age of social media at that. I apologize in behalf of all the homos in the world who just don't buy "Hugh Jackman is Gay" but understand perfectly why we gays claim him for our team, whether he likes it or not. Hugh is everything we could wish for in a man, and while he's not unique in being 'equalitarian'(Clooney, Pitt, Franco, even Clint Eastwood)he can sing and dance, and that's what really gets the screaming queens with jazz hands. Your husband is so perfect we want to take him away from you and own him. But let me qualify: most gorgeous-looking gays have no problewm with a straight Hugh Jackman. It takes all sorts. It's the ugly insecure queers who find mountains out of every mole hill - and they all look like Perez Hilton. Think about it, Mrs. J: would Hugh really leave you for someone like Perez Hilton?

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Feb 14, 2013 2:47:08 AM

19. People think he is gay because he likes theatre and is a bit 'camp'. Its stereotyping us as well as an attempt to demean him, so claiming he is gay is pure homophobia.

The fact thats its usually gay people and our allies that claim he is gay is rather disturbing.

Posted by: Really | Feb 14, 2013 6:17:53 AM

20. Hugh is the one of the Best Straight Allies we have ever had! He's so talented and funny and can camp it up like no ones business but he's in love with Deb and that's that! It's simple except we are harming him because the small minded people out there can get their heads around it! I remember his response to being called gay was "I Wish" There should be more like him and hopefully we can be decent enough to them as well! His kids are going to be old enough soon to be affected by this nonsense soon as well!

Posted by: Gazer | Feb 14, 2013 7:43:11 AM

21. Why are the only options "Totally, 100% straight, completely monogamous" and "Totally gay, lying closet case in a totally sham marriage?"

I know nothing whatsoever about Jackman's sexuality or relationship, but I can look around the real world and see plenty of people who are genuinely in love in a solid relationship with their spouse, and who have a mutual acceptance that a little on the side here and there is fine, often for both partners. And that some of them are bisexual.

And before anyone goes on about that being just a different form of being a lying closet case, being out about it would just create a media firestorm of "Who's Hugh's latest boy toy?"

Jackman aside, the gay community has got to become a hell of a lot more supportive of bisexuals before we can start throwing this particular stone. For one thing, it takes all the power away from the ex-gay movement.

I am ALL for taking down anti-gay assholes with whatever tools come to hand, especially if they are working against gay rights while being closeted themselves. But when someone is on our side, attacking them for however they live their sex lives, and even prying into it, is just wrong, unless they are being a hypocrite in some other way and gaining by it.

Once it's no big deal to be either openly bisexual or openly non-monogamous, then this sort of speculation might be merely entertaining. Until then, we're participating in hurting someone who is on our side. I'd rather watch his movies and leave his private life to him.

Posted by: Lymis | Feb 14, 2013 8:18:09 AM

22. The gay rumors would bother me, too, if I were his wife. It has nothing to do with being gay, it is an indictment of HER. IF Hugh was married to Kate Beckinsale there wouldn't be the gay rumor to contend with. What society is saying is that she's older, chubby, and less attractive therefore he can't possibly love her.

Play that in reverse and you'd all feel the same way. I've seen young hot dudes with their older boyfriend and people will say they're not gay they're a gold-digger.

It's much the same. We're all just shallow and looks oriented.

Posted by: Rin | Feb 14, 2013 9:11:58 AM

23. Or, Mrs. Jackman, would a man like your husband leave anyone for someone with a name like Manny Espinola?

Posted by: UFFDA | Feb 14, 2013 11:21:50 AM

24. To tell the truth- Hugh Jackman, Richard Gere, John Travolta, or George clooney- will the REAL gay man please stand up!

Posted by: musclesport | Feb 15, 2013 11:35:40 AM

25. the hot boys who were in and out of his dressing room when he did his solo tour recently was unreal.
    go hugh!!