News | Robert Jeffress | Tim Tebow

Anti-Gay Megachurch Pastor Robert Jeffress Responds to Tebow Controversy in Sunday Sermon: VIDEO

Sermon_jeffress

In his Sunday sermon at the Frist Baptist Church in Dallas, Dr. Robert Jeffress responded to the controversy surrounding Tim Tebow's now canceled plans to speak to the church, and the positions that led to public outcry, Think Progress reports.

Said Jeffress:

You know, it is an amazing thing to me that a church is called anti-Semitic simply because we preach that everyone — Jew, Baptist, Catholic, Hindu, atheist — everyone must trust in Christ in order to go to Heaven. It’s amazing to me that we’re called anti-gay simply because we say sex ought to be between a man and a woman in marriage; somehow that’s construed to be anti-gay. [...]

The bad news is there is such a thing called sin, and the Bible says we are all guilty of it, and we are all headed for an eternity of separation from God. But it the good news of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is it doesn’t matter who you are or what you have done. It doesn’t matter whether you were a Jew, a Baptist, a Catholic, a Muslim, a Hindu, a homosexual, an adulterer, a thief, or a cheat. It doesn’t matter what you’ve done, you can be forgive of your sins if you trust in Jesus Christ as your savior. That’s not a message of hate; that’s a message of hope.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. He looks like Beverley Leslie's more flamboyant brother!

Posted by: Paul | Feb 26, 2013 5:01:34 PM

2. I always find such squawking by Prots to be amusing. 500 or so years ago nobody had ever heard of their different and contradictory sets of dogmatic theology. Nobody. Sure, you had some small groups pop up here and there but even they were not like the Prots. That's 1500 years from the time of Jesus until about the Reformation when their spin on the Gospel was absent from human history. So was God asleep during that time? Did He mess things up with the Catholics & Orthodox (who themselves had a falling out) and then get it "right" starting in the 16th century? Or is it that a lot of what they claim to be essential Truth just man made BS? I see nothing here but yet another Prot trying to out-pope the Pope by making himself out to be the Mouthpiece for God and Final Arbiter on Interpreting the Bible. Catholics and even Orthodox have had this problem but at least they have some history, however dubious some of it may be, behind it all. Humility and the knowledge that you ain't God and only have a speck of an idea of what He wants would seem to be called for here, "Pastor".

Posted by: JohnAGJ | Feb 26, 2013 6:11:32 PM

3. and here's hoping that the land of denial you live in helps you feel better because your denial runs deep, mean spirited and judgemental on all those who don't practice your narrow minded type of religion.......

Posted by: Bernie | Feb 26, 2013 7:01:01 PM

4. As someone who has lived in Dallas his whole life, I have to thank Caliban for his comment! I haven't laughed so hard against Dr J in a long time. Sadly the best we can do - is try to off set some of the damage that he and his done. Though how you can take him and his church seriously with a Bellagio style musical fountain going up along with their new digs I just dont know. Check it out on YouTube.

Posted by: Paul | Feb 26, 2013 8:57:10 PM

5. Steve's phrase 'invent the sickness, sell the cure' is the most awesome thing I've read in forever. My day can't get any better, so I'm turning in!

Posted by: Jason Chenard | Feb 26, 2013 10:08:51 PM

6. Look, I'm a good guy. I'm a caregiver to my BF's mom, I take her to church every Sunday and I always give a buck to panhandlers saving up for a 40. If I have to give up butt sex to get to Heaven, I say bury me with a case of asbestos Trojans. I'm allergic to asbestos, I swell up like a balloon.

Posted by: parkrunner | Feb 26, 2013 10:37:47 PM

7. He is seriously one fruit loop short in his Kellogs box. I am always fascinated about people who are so convinced of what cannot be proven. Or even people who still think scaring people with the old "you'll burn in hell over your sins" B.S. still is a viable argument. I'd love to meet him and write a thesis on our interactions. I bet he's a hoot to see mad.

Posted by: Todd | Feb 27, 2013 6:03:59 PM

8. The Irony is that if a Muslim had said those same very words(It is preached in Mosques all over the world) All these hate filled babbling morons who have posted comments on this site would have stuck their stuck their heads in their rear ends and pretended not to have heard anything.
    Fear of Muslims is the key here.

Posted by: King of the World | Mar 19, 2013 7:50:33 PM