Advertising | Amazon | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

New Kindle Ad Features Gay Husbands: VIDEO

Kindle

The new ad for the Kindle Paperwhite (which aired during last night's American Idol) features a gay married couple as its twist. Bravo, Amazon.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I'm 50/50 on this one. I appreciate the normalisation effect of the reveal, but I simultaneously thought "are they saying that it's gay to buy an iPad?"

Posted by: Greg | Feb 21, 2013 12:25:10 PM

2. I'll take the man and his iPad, and she could still keep her Kindle. :)

Posted by: andy3346 | Feb 21, 2013 12:57:15 PM

3. Greg -

No, they are saying it's disappointing if you have bought an iPad. And they are correct. I bought my mom an iPad 2 for Christmas. The sales clerk told me that it didn't have Siri, but that it had dictation in email (which is something my mom wanted) and Bluetooth (which is something I wanted for my mom). It has no integrated dictation in email, you have to dictate in Dragon and then paste into email (which means it is nearly worthless) and the so-called Bluetooth is some kind of proprietary bullwookie that only pairs with iphone and has no universal file exchange (like your macbook does) so that you can send files from your Android phone (because Samsung Galaxy makes iPhone look primitive) or do a number of things that we expect Apple computers to do flawlessly.

Apple flucked us over on Ipad. I will be getting a Galaxy tablet for myself.

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 21, 2013 1:01:22 PM

4. Show of hands:

How many of you read at the beach? I have tried it and found it to be annoying. Reading at the beach is like wearing headphones and listening to music at the beach. Are you really so bored with the beautiful weather and water and the people watching etc... that you need to read or listen to music? Rest and drift in the ambient noise and hypnotic light on the water.

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 21, 2013 1:17:11 PM

5. EXCELLENT!

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Feb 21, 2013 1:47:02 PM

6. Sequel: both pricey devices get gummed up with sand and sunscreen. I have the perfect technology already: it's called a paperback. (Bonus: unlike with an e-reader, you can check out your hot fellow sun-worshipper's title without creepily leaning over, which makes for a handy
    conversation-starter).

Posted by: DW | Feb 21, 2013 2:16:51 PM

7. I don't really see the point of the ad, but it IS surprising to see it on TV. Amazon may be a scarily giant company but man, some of these companies really support us in important ways.

And yeah, the main guy is stunningly hot.

Posted by: Billy | Feb 21, 2013 2:22:24 PM

8. DAVID HEARNE--I tried reading at the beach once and also couldn't figure out why anyone does it. I was at Lake Michigan last summer on a beautiful holiday weekend, with warm water near the shore (doesn't always happen in Michigan). The family next to me had a daughter using a Kindle under an umbrella, the Mom on her cell phone with a friend the whole time, and the son on some kind of iPhone/mini thing with ear buds. None of them ever even put a toe in the water or explored the dunes or anything. I wonder if they even felt the sand between their toes once. It was kinda sad.

Posted by: Stefan | Feb 21, 2013 2:30:04 PM

9. Nice, but I'll still never buy anything from a company that will unilaterally "unsell" you a product they sold you.

Posted by: Randy | Feb 21, 2013 3:55:45 PM

10. Amazon knows who has the money to spend- well made mainstream marketing.

Posted by: jaragon | Feb 21, 2013 5:42:01 PM

11. Randy: What mean "unsell you" ?

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 21, 2013 6:42:00 PM

12. It amazes me that a company like Amazon has taken the time to create a television commercial targeted for ALL networks that is GLBT-inclusive and non-stereotypical. Yet, there are some who have nothing better to do than complain and tear it apart.

Personally, I found it to be a simple and classy ad with a twist that I didn't see coming. It left me with a huge smile on my face and made me feel like times are truly getting better.

If anyone thinks they can do a better job, I welcome them to try. Otherwise, think before you start complaining!

Posted by: Barry in NH | Feb 21, 2013 7:17:03 PM

13. Awww, that's cute :) Kudos to Amazon. I already give them most of my monies so...yeah. I'll keep on keepin' on.

Posted by: daws | Feb 21, 2013 7:55:13 PM

14. A quiet landmark and quiet milestone. I can honestly say that's now my #1 favorite commercial, ever, over my entire lifetime.

If Jeff Bezos's Amazon and anti-marriage equality Meg Whitman's eBay have the same product, the choice is obvious. That was even before this commercial. But now, anything I can get on Amazon, well, they are definitely getting my business.

Posted by: spending money | Feb 21, 2013 11:05:50 PM

15. It's not enough to just be happy about this..PLEASE kindly consider writing, TWEETING, facebooking kindle and thanking them, because if they only hear from the bigots and not hear from us....they'll never know support for this exists!

Please thank them. This makes a huge impact.

Posted by: Gio | Feb 22, 2013 2:34:15 AM

16. I agree with the criticism that the hot guy's shirt is both unnecessary and offensive. Not to mention ugly.

The moral of this ad is clearly, "Don't let ugly shirts happen to hot gays."

Posted by: FFS | Feb 22, 2013 5:21:39 AM

17. As there are more and more married troops and gay couples and non stereotypical gay people featured in commercials, the novelty will wear off and it will become common placed to see gay people in the ads driving the cars, shopping at the market, buying valentines gifts, flowers, candy, cars, and all manner of products helping the world to go around and doing all those things which compromise the gay lifestyle... time will pass and many will wonder "what is the fecking big deal" and we shall have to get together and give the right wingers someone else to grip and complain about as we all move forward through the fog.

Posted by: ***** | Feb 22, 2013 6:00:30 AM

18. The more times that grandma sees a hot couple, male or female kissing, the quicker she and grandpa are going to get over it.....especially if it is the grandson and the boyfriend, or the granddaughter and her girlfriend.... Just small pecks here and there and coming around the side of the barn, or while working in the cornfield, or sitting at lunch down by the cottonwood creek....all will contribute to the idea that couples are in love and there is not a great deal of difference in their expressions of love. The next step will be the introduction of either the biological grandchildren or the adopted grandchildren. Babies are going to go a long way to smooth over some of these changes in lifestyles and inform families and their member as to just how little difference there is in their various family members and their lifestyles especially when their first or second grandchild is a part of the picture.

Posted by: ***** | Feb 22, 2013 6:13:55 AM

19. Avoid Amazon AT ALL COST: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/amazon-used-neonazi-guards-to-keep-immigrant-workforce-under-control-in-germany-8495843.html

Posted by: Autechre | Feb 22, 2013 6:56:11 AM

20. Triple what **** said, whoever the hell he is. How terribly exciting his view is. Really.

Posted by: UFFDA | Feb 22, 2013 8:34:11 AM

21. "American Idol's" ratings are so low now, it may not have been seen by millions. Like your new masthead Andy. Very '13.

Posted by: GB | Feb 22, 2013 5:32:42 PM

22. cute..but this is better:

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Feb 22, 2013 6:45:30 PM

23. Anyone have a new link to the video? You Tube removed it as containing "spam and deceptive content"

Posted by: abden | Feb 23, 2013 9:29:05 AM

24. Found a good link. And CHRIST that guy's beautiful! Who is he?

Posted by: abden | Feb 23, 2013 9:31:51 AM