Catholic Church | Cincinnati | Discrimination | Education | News | Ohio

BigGayDeal.com

Ohio Catholic High School Principal Fired for Blog Post Supporting Gay Marriage

Mike Morioski, the principal of Purcell Marian High School in Cincinnati, was fired by the Archdiocese of Cincinnati over a blog post he wrote called "Choose Your Battles" supporting gay marriage.

Wrote Moroski: Moroski

“I unabashedly believe that gay people SHOULD be allowed to marry. Ethically, morally and legally I believe this. I spend a lot of my life trying to live as a Christian example of love for others, and my formation at Catholic grade school, high school, 3 Catholic Universities and employment at 2 Catholic high schools has informed my conscience to believe that gay marriage is NOT something of which to be afraid.”

The AP reports:

Moroski had anticipated the move after refusing to take down the blog post and hiring an attorney. Moroski did not immediately respond to a request for comment Monday, but he told The Cincinnati Enquirer last week that he was following his conscience when he wrote about his support of gay marriage. He said he knew he the post violated the social media policy but doesn’t feel that he violated the teachings of the church.

“I put it up there because I really truly honestly believe it,” he said. “I’m absolutely willing to lose my job over this. The only difficult thing for me now is the students.”

Moroski released a statement on his blog today:

On Monday, February 4, the Archdiocese of Cincinnati gave me an ultimatum after I expressed my personal opinion in support of freedom to marry for gay and lesbian couples. I was asked to resign as assistant principal at Purcell Marian High School, or keep my job until June by signing documents recanting my statements. I was given this ultimatum after I wrote a blog on my personal web page, http://mikemoroski.com entitled, “Choosing Your Battles.” I could not in good conscience recant my statements. The Archdiocese of Cincinnati has now put me on administrative leave with a pending termination.

As a proud Catholic, I’m heartbroken that my belief that all committed, loving couples should be able to make a public pledge to take responsibility for each other for a lifetime has led to this ultimatum. The expressions of solidarity I have already received from Catholic priests, sisters and justice leaders in the community strengthen my faith during this difficult time. Due to my formation in Catholic grade school, high school and three Catholic universities – not to mention my marriage to the best Catholic I know, my relationship with numerous clergy and a devout Catholic family – I have firmly rooted my life in the Gospel principles of love and justice.

After twelve years of working with teenagers whose respect I have earned, I simply can’t teach them the wrong lesson now and deny my convictions. I would not be able to look them in the eye. I have tried to instill a sense of faith and fortitude in all of them regarding issues of justice for my entire adult life. I did not turn down the Archdiocese’s terms in spite of my faith. I turned them down because of my faith.

Moroski had worked at the school for two years after teaching at Moeller High School for 10 years.

Comments

1. No, James. The lesson is censorship and homophobia still rule in the Catholic church even though based on polls, a majority of American Catholics are not just for marriage equality, but strongly in favor. That's the lesson to take from this.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 12, 2013 4:06:06 AM

2. Catholic school or not..you're entitled to an opinion in this country.

The trolls (same person with different handles) saying he had it coming. YOU'D be the first person waving the "freedom of speech" banner had the roles been reversed and an anti gay professor in a gay friendly school was fired for stating their opinion and exercising appropriate freedom of speech. So don't even play.

Posted by: Co-Shirey | Feb 12, 2013 5:13:02 AM

3. James-
    You're about as 'gay' as I am a Republican. I love when delusional trolls come on here and pretend to be one of us, then express all kinds of ignorant points that illustrate how conservative they are. Do you really think you're fooling us?

This man should hire a lawyer, and what he did was not one bit flawed. Especially considering many in his own church agree with him. EQUALITY is not a partisan or religious issue. You making it one is because you're a conservative fool. Now own it.

Posted by: Scott Johansen | Feb 12, 2013 5:17:18 AM

4. @ James
    Nice try trollster, but equating derogatory speech and bashing of fellow coworkers on social media to supporting the civil rights of an oppressed demographic are not even in the same planet of analogy. That right there revealed your trolling cards, and I agree with the other poster; why can't heterosexual conservatives like yourself just reveal who you are while standing behind your opinions? Why do you come on a gay blog and pretend to be a gay person, then side heavily with bigots, all while maintaining a false facade of LGBT? Are you that insecure in your own opinion?
    This man stood up for fairness and justice. He did not slam or belittle a single entity or demographic, nor coworkers/school.
    You completely misunderstood the narrative of this story.

Posted by: Duration & Convexity | Feb 12, 2013 5:20:05 AM

5. Good for him!

We should all take a moment to write/thank him. Trying to see if he's on twitter..facebook.

Posted by: Klien | Feb 12, 2013 5:20:44 AM

6. Catholicism is an illness, and sadly the good kind (like this man) are bullied and berated for having an ounce of rationale behind their brain. Catholic leaders don't want their followers to ever think for themselves...."or else"

Posted by: Focus101 | Feb 12, 2013 5:21:54 AM

7. To Francis, Co-Shirley, Scott Johansen, and Duration and Complexity:

Reading comprehension is a trait that apparently is not prevalent in the Towleroad hemisphere. To Duration & Complexity, I did not discuss bashing co-workers. I mentioned employees who take positions contrary to their employers or who make derogatory statements about the company they work for. There are a number of legal sites that talk about workers who are fired for making statements that are inconsistent with the position of their employers. Here’s my challenge: go ahead and test my statements. Post a negative comment to your blog about your employer. Use your real name and let’s see how fast you get a call from Human Resources who will describe your post-employment Cobra benefits.

So to the others who have some modicum of critical thinking skills, let me pose this hypothetical: let’s say Mr. X is an HRC executive. Mr. X writes a personal blog post that says that homosexuality is a genetic defect that causes individuals to engage in acts that are a crime against the laws of nature and God. And let’s say that in the same post Mr. X claims that he abhors any form of discrimination and will fight to ensure equality among all citizens—even gays and lesbians. After all, he loves the sinner but hates the sin. And discrimination is patently wrong. Is there a single person on this site who would seriously argue that HRC would not be justified in firing Mr. X? Seriously? Of course they could fire him.

The Catholic Church is no different. They are a private organization that can fire people at will.

Posted by: James | Feb 12, 2013 8:38:09 PM

8. I have no sympathy for this guy. If he is the principal of a Catholic School and he doesn't know the Catholic Church"s teaching on gay marriage, he is a moron. If he wants to belong to that bigoted church's club, he should follow their club rules or do the right thing and quit.

Posted by: andrew | Feb 12, 2013 11:57:57 PM

9. "..the expressions of solidarity I have already received from catholic priests..."
    Priests whisper their support and do nothing while Mr. Morioski loses his job.
    I wish priests could get some balls, speak up, get angry and challenge the ignorance and bigotry in the catholic church.

Posted by: Brent46 | Feb 13, 2013 12:30:28 AM