Ohio Mayor Resigns After Questioning Presence of a 'Queer' Officer on the Police Force

Pomeroy, Ohio Mayor Mary McAngus resigned today after complaints that she had questioned the Police Chief about the existence of a "queer" officer on the force and saying she didn't want his partner stopping by the police station.

McangusThe Columbus Dispatch reports:

[Police Chief] Proffitt last month submitted to the village council an information packet that included his six-page sworn statement. He warned the council that the mayor’s behavior could get the village of 2,000 residents sued.

Proffitt wrote that McAngus called him into her office about two weeks after Calendine was hired. She said she heard “that Kyle was a queer” and asked what the chief was going to do about it. Nothing, he replied, because that would be discrimination.

“She stated ‘I don’t like a Queer working for the Village, I might be old-fashioned, but I don’t like it.’  ” Proffitt wrote in the statement.

The mayor persisted in making crude comments about the officer and his partner to police department employees, Proffitt said. She asked a newly hired officer if he knew that Calendine was gay and whether that bothered him.When the officer said no, she asked him if he, too, was gay, and smiled and stared at him until the uncomfortable officer said he had to get back to work, Proffitt said.

McAngus showed no remorse for her behavior in her resignation, saying that it was "due to circumstances."

(image via pomeroy daily sentinel)

Comments

1. Not all older people are against us, but as a general rule older generations ARE less accepting of gays than younger groups. And this particular old bat didn't just go on a whisper campaign with just about everyone in city government to get the gay officer fired, according to the linked article she told people she wanted his boyfriend "run out of town."

And her attitudes are at least in part a function of her age- and her attitudes fossilized at about 1965. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that she also has some choice words about racial and ethnic minorities behind closed doors.

Posted by: Caliban | Feb 10, 2013 10:26:28 AM

2. I earlier wrote a comment: "What about her religious freedom?" In case there was any doubt -- and apparently there was -- that was satire.

- Poe, as in Poe's Law

Posted by: Poe | Feb 10, 2013 10:49:23 AM

3. I grew up around that area and find this disturbing bu not surprising...I'm guessing I am about her age and let me tell you age has nothing to do with discrimination...it has to do with self education and growth. She stayed in her "good old boy" bubble. Shame on her!

Posted by: says who | Feb 10, 2013 11:39:33 AM

4. Uh oh, Caliban, you are an evil ageist too. Don't point out facts to this crowd.

I am still amazed at how people overreact to a little internet hyperbole.

Posted by: PDX Guy | Feb 10, 2013 12:07:29 PM

5. "Old" is not a slur - it is an adjective. Get over it.

Posted by: fanboi | Feb 10, 2013 1:45:11 PM

6. advanced age does NOT necessarily go hand in hand with bigotry or homophobia. It IS often an indicator about someone's ability to open their mind to something they had closed it to previously.

any by the way... she's 78, and made it clear what a nice person she isn't, I think we can safely call her old without feeling bad. My Mom is 79, I wouldn't call her "old" but then again I LOVE her and care about her feelings.

After what the mayor pulled, I don't care about HER feelings so I might toss in "evil decrepit wrinkled biddy while I'm at it."

Posted by: fanboi | Feb 10, 2013 1:55:26 PM

7. Lighten up, Andrew: It's just part of the reality of her description. Everyone is young, or old--or someone in between. The age of anyone who appears in print is commonly noted. I'm 82 and you can call me old, curmudgeon, or geezer. WTF? I am who I am.

Posted by: Mikey | Feb 10, 2013 2:15:40 PM

8. Lighten up, Andrew: It's just part of the reality of her description. Everyone is young, or old--or someone in between. The age of anyone who appears in print is commonly noted. I'm 82 and you can call me old, curmudgeon, or geezer. WTF? I am who I am.

Posted by: Mikey | Feb 10, 2013 2:15:41 PM

9. Love how my comment was deleted. Talk about unnecessary censorship.....

When I said that things would change when every person over 70 was dead, was not an ageist statement. The generation over 70 is of a different time and set of "values". For the most part, that generation does not look favorably on homosexuality. Yeah, yeah, there are exceptions, but study after poll after study show what I am saying. So, when everyone over 70 is gone, a large dose of their "value system" will die with them. It's not insensitivity, it is deductive. Go ahead, Andy, censor me again and then refer to your article on unnecessary censorship.

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Feb 10, 2013 2:19:56 PM

10. Kudos to the Police Chief.
    I do wonder about Officer Calendine yhough. Is he the only gay in the village or does he really have a partner. What can life be like for a gay couple in a village of 2000? A gay cop in a village of 2000, pretty amazing really.

Posted by: Swiminbuff | Feb 10, 2013 2:31:30 PM

11. @Mikey: Do you want PDX to "cull you from the herd"? I don't think that I am overreacting when I call someone "pure evil" who is suggesting killing off the older generations and according to PDX's logic the less educated as well. That kind of reprehensible talk is dangerous. Its not just internet hyperbole. Its Pol Pot tactics.

Posted by: andrew | Feb 10, 2013 2:33:38 PM

12. this story cracks me up as the homophobe resigned because her hatred was ignored. score one for the team!

Posted by: Bernie | Feb 10, 2013 3:17:38 PM

13. WOW. Whether they are Pro-gay or anti-gay the citizens of that town must be shaking their heads that they had elected such an ignorant demented bat. (And, Andrew, "old" doesn't necessarily refer to age but can also apply to someone like her who is so behind the times!!!) At least someone got her to quit (doubt she had sense to quit on her own) before the town had to waste money on a quickie recall election before the lawsuits against the town was filed.

Posted by: Randy | Feb 10, 2013 4:11:39 PM

14. @Chuck: her problems could be due to circumstances. Maybe she had the misfortune to be raised by Bible-thumping, snake-handling fundamentalists and never outgrew that bad experience.

Posted by: Bill | Feb 10, 2013 4:59:04 PM

15. The cop is an adorable big-eyed ginger too. Ohio-side river towns are quite unique. Some of them are beautifully preserved old money enclaves of Victorian architecture. Others are rundown toxic barge stops with Victorian values. It's the West Virginia bank where you really need a translator, hazmat suit and plenty of cannibal repellent if you unfortunately venture there.

Posted by: Bollux | Feb 10, 2013 5:13:49 PM

16. I want to apologize for my generation for a bunch of people that started out with peace and love some have turned into real nut bags.

Posted by: daeds | Feb 10, 2013 5:54:55 PM

17. It takes a village; one that the "old fashioned" biddy has been ostracized from. Oh, and we know what the circumstances were, you classless idiot.

Posted by: woodroad34d | Feb 10, 2013 6:43:48 PM

18. And I don't like bigoted assholes like Mary spreading their ignorance while being paid by tax-payer $$$. Good riddance to bad trash.

Posted by: mmike1969 | Feb 10, 2013 8:44:51 PM

19. It's not just the older generation that dislikes homosexuals. I'm 29 and don't care for queers. I applaud this woman for telling the truth, even if people don't like it.

Posted by: MK | Feb 10, 2013 9:35:25 PM

20. I hope she does live to be a ripe old age and see how much the world has changed for the better because people don't think like her anymore. Maybe her thinking can change, she's not dead yet.

Posted by: Armando | Feb 10, 2013 10:00:05 PM

21. Armando, you raised a good point. People are never too old to change. And I'm glad that others are pointing out that it's not always the older people that prejudice comes from. I attend an evangelical church (very right wing theologically and politically.) A few months ago I learned that a 70 year old woman in my church had travelled to another state to attend her lesbian granddaughter's same-sex wedding. Her husband refused to "condone" the marriage, but my friend from church went to show love and support for her granddaughter. Although I wasn't yet pro-SSM , I was secretly proud of her for being so liberal. This woman is a former Catholic ethnic from a blue-collar background. Couple that with being an evangelical and you don't get a very high likelyhood of her being pro-gay. But the culture is changing. And the church is changing also. There are several people in my church who seem very gay/lesbian. I assume that they seem this way to others also. But no one is questioned about his private life - and there is no gossip about anyone. We're actually more tolerant in practice than most people would imagine.

Posted by: Mary | Feb 10, 2013 10:24:04 PM

22. From what I've seen, most older people 75+, don't really focus too much on gays to be pointedly homophobic. They have their own issues to focus on. The homophobia that exists in this country is largely from the middle aged. 35 to about 70.

Posted by: Tony | Feb 10, 2013 10:27:28 PM

23. MK: yet you are on a gay site!

Posted by: BETTY | Feb 10, 2013 10:41:26 PM

24. Odd story. Not up on Ohio law, but normally it would be up to the township lawyer to determine the risk of a suit (of course, you can always have your day in court, but the question is whether any point of law could have been raised by the plaintiff). They also don't appear to have liability insurance, which is very strange. In many cases, you can't sue a govt. when you are an employee, as the case could only be handled by arbitration under the civil service code. So, I'm thinking there was a little more to it than the threat of a lawsuit. Of course, she doesn't seem to be particularly qualified to be mayor in either case.

Posted by: anon | Feb 10, 2013 11:54:38 PM

25. @MK: "don't care for queers". That sounds like a kind of soft dislike for us. Tell us what it is that you don't care for about "queers" Mabye we could enlighten you about those issues or at least explain our side.

Posted by: andrew | Feb 11, 2013 12:14:05 AM