Catholic Church | News | Pope Benedict | Vatican

Pope Benedict XVI Resigning February 28

Pope

Pope Benedict will step down February 28, the Vatican has confirmed. The resignation took the Vatican by surprise, as it is the first time in six centuries (not since 1415) that a Pope has resigned.

The full text of his resignation and see an ABC News report, AFTER THE JUMP....

PopeReuters reports:

The 85-year-old pope said he had noticed that his strength had deteriorated over recent months "to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me".

"For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter," he said according to a statement from the Vatican.

His attacks on gay marriage and gay families will not be missed. The office will be vacant until a successor is chosen.

The Pope has said in recent months that gays "[manipulate] their God-given identities to suit their sexual choices — and [destroy] the very 'essence of the human creature' in the process". Benedict said in December that gay marriage offends human truth, and threatens justice and peace.

He also blessed the lawmaker behind Uganda's "kill the gays" bill.

Last September he called gay marriages "defective" and called on U.S. Bishops last March to defend against the passage of marriage equality laws.

Though, he's not against the occasional male strip show:

Acrobats

Continuing, he has said in November 2010 "sexuality has an intrinsic meaning and direction, which is not homosexual," a follow-up to a September 2010 attack in which he said that marriage equality laws "contribute to the weakening of the principles of natural law" and to "confusion about society’s values."

In June of 2010 an unauthorized painting depicting Benedict marrying two men went on display in London:

Painting

It was shortly after he begged forgiveness from God for the Catholic clergy sex abuse scandal that he helped cover up.

In May 2010 he called gay marriage "dangerous" and "insidious". A few months earlier he said "In some respects it actually violates the natural law upon which the equality of all human beings is grounded and by which it is guaranteed.”

Gays endanger humanity, he said in January 2010, right after embracing an anti-gay Holocaust denier.

In December 2008 Pope Benedict said that saving humanity from homosexual or transsexual behavior was just as important as saving the rainforest from destruction.

In 2007, he called gay marriage an obstacle to world peace. These statements were "non-negotiable" he told Catholic lawmakers, politicians, and those in power.

At Christmas in 2006, the Pope "warned that mankind would destroy its own identity should it follow theories which place same-sex couples at the same level as husband and wife." He added that supporting same-sex marriage "tacitly accredits those dismal theories that strip all relevance from the masculinity and femininity of the human being as though it were a purely biological issue."

The full text of his resignation and see an ABC News report, AFTER THE JUMP....

"Dear Brothers,

I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonizations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church. After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry. I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering. However, in today's world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me. For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is.

"Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects. And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff. With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer."

Comments

1. I didn't know he was allowed to resign. But don't worry there are dozens like him waiting to get his position.

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 11, 2013 1:23:28 PM

2. Why does the Pope warrant a special report on ABC?

What other religious sect is fawned over with such drooling attention?

Posted by: Randy | Feb 11, 2013 1:26:25 PM

3. Can we expect the Catholic change with the next Pope? I don’t really think so. Cardinal Marc Ouellet, formerly the archbishop of Quebec City, has the best odds of replacing Pope Benedict XVI, but he is an extremely conservative man who will definitely not want the Catholic church to change. He is expected to be a carbon copy Pope Benedict XVI.

And no, I don't want to hear anything about the Malachian prophecy and the next "end of world". I have heard enough people talking about the previous "end of the world" that was scheduled for December 2012 and I need a break lol.

Posted by: Shanna Carson | Feb 11, 2013 2:13:02 PM

4. I hope he joins jebus soon.

Posted by: HkFca | Feb 11, 2013 2:57:35 PM

5. MATT :

Everything you write.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 11, 2013 3:04:01 PM

6. @Matt--Thanks for making some excellent points. You're right that the successor will likely be as bad if not worse than Ratzinger not only in terms of treatment of gays but in terms of views on reproductive health, etc. Personally, I'll be sad to see Benedict XVI go--not because I liked him but because he was introverted and never really good at leveraging the political, social, and cultural power of his office. Imagine if his views were delivered by someone charismatic, young, and ambitious. It could be devastating. I think people excited by this aren't aware of how much worse the next couple decades could be.

Posted by: Stefan | Feb 11, 2013 3:39:45 PM

7. But no more Pope Benedict means no more of his personal "secretary" Georg Gänswein, AKA Bel Giorgio, AKA Archbishop Sexy Pants (or Sexy Cassock as the case may be).

Posted by: Ruddigore | Feb 11, 2013 3:53:28 PM

8. There is rumour that he is not just resigning but also leaving the Church. That's is the only way he can get married to a man or a woman.

Posted by: simon | Feb 11, 2013 3:58:30 PM

9. There's more to this story - much more.

Posted by: niles | Feb 11, 2013 4:33:40 PM

10. I think it's a given that he will keep the shoes, the cute fur cap ns some other fancy dress items.

Will he follow the trend and say that his horrible pronouncements on so many topics were "mis-spoken"?

Given the way the C of C's is packed, there is no chance that another fluke along the lines of John XXIII will have his junk handled by a wrinkled old retainer to assure the world that the Pontiff is indeed male.

Posted by: gregorybrown | Feb 11, 2013 5:37:04 PM

11. You can find the original text (Latin, plus various translations) at http://press.catholica.va/news_services/bulletin/news/30470.php?index=30470&po_date=11.02.2013&lang=en

Posted by: Bill | Feb 11, 2013 7:03:26 PM

12. Given some of the comments above, it was only a matter of time before some fake Roman graffiti showed up at the Vatican: "Benedictus fellator rarus" (after some graffiti from Pompeii about Secundus and oral sex).

Posted by: Bill | Feb 11, 2013 8:29:38 PM

13. Holy quit...! What the Pope is going to do after the quit? Well..he will open a holy glory hole and you know that is the Pope behind it, because he has no teeth...lol.

Posted by: Akira | Feb 11, 2013 11:41:41 PM

14. @Akira: Ask Secundus - he is apparently the guy to go to if the graffiti at Pompeii is any indication! Secundus has an in with the Pope - they both speak Latin.

Posted by: Bill | Feb 12, 2013 12:24:19 AM

15. major dirt will be spilled soon,
    all of his whores cant be silenced.

georgous george is also a big part of this, and the butler who stole the diaries.

gonna be fun....

Posted by: clydee | Feb 12, 2013 3:55:07 AM

16. Lady Gaga for Pope

Posted by: Rafa in Toronto | Feb 12, 2013 8:21:34 AM

17. I know why he is quirring! A very dear old and vocal friend of mine passed away last Friday. She was a devout catholic who had little use for this pope. I am quite certain that she had Gods ear and requested the change!

Posted by: billmiller | Feb 12, 2013 8:56:06 AM

18. My nominee for pope: John Cota. He's the pilot who was responsible for the Cosco Busan running into the Bay Bridge in 2007. He has the right experience to be a pope: he's been in charge of something that doesn't change course very easily but is subjected to external influences (e.g., currents and wind), and he knows what it is like to preside over a disaster.

Here's a picture of him: http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site568/2013/0211/20130211__cota~1_300.JPG - as popes go, he would be a young one.

Posted by: Bill | Feb 12, 2013 2:05:31 PM

19. its interesting that no pope has EVER resigned for health/age reasons- you just die as pope- the ONLY ones that have, have done so because of scandal. I cant imagine this guy would look to history & say to himself "yeah- im tired & old....." Its just not something that has ever been done. "Ratzy" wouldnt let his legacy be that he as the only one to step down because he though he was too old for the job...... This STINKS of scandal & it'll come out- cant wait to watch this train wreck :)

Posted by: Tab | Feb 13, 2013 7:44:10 AM