Blake Skjellerup | Johnny Weir | News | Olympics | Russia

BigGayDeal.com

Russian 'Spokesperson' Johnny Weir Tells Gay Olympic Athletes to Tone Down the Flamboyance or Suffer the Consequences

Figure skater Johnny Weir is a self-described 'Russophile' so the country's proposed ban on gay "propaganda" (already passed in St. Petersburg) won't stop him from competing in the Sochi Winter Olympics, but he's warning other gay athletes not to do certain things or suffer the consequences, USA Today reports:

WeirIf he makes the Olympic team, Weir doesn't want to make an issue of his sexuality, he said. For him, the Olympics should be about sport and competition. But he does have advice for gay athletes unfamiliar with the culture.

"My advice would be: Watch what you do when you leave the Village, don't be aggressive, don't wear a big rainbow flag fur coat. If you don't call attention to yourself, attention won't come to you."

Then Weir added, in a way only he can, "I'm not going to be having sex in a Metro station. And if you are doing that, then maybe you deserve to be caught."

Added Weir: "I love Russia and there is nothing that will change that. I'm a true patriot and spokesperson for their country. It's appalling they can censor their public, but I try to do everything I can. I have been in talks with different LBGT organizations in Russia with how I can help."

Out speed skater Blake Skjellerup is more hesitant: "I don't want to have to tone myself down about who I am. That wasn't very fun and there's no way I'm going back in the closet. I just want to be myself and I hate to think that being myself would get me in trouble."

St. Petersburg's restrictive law bans and impose fines ($16,000 on individuals and up to $160,000 on legal entities) on all Gay Pride events, LGBT organizations, and anything considered to be "promotion" of homosexuality.

The federal law, if passed, would enact similar penalties.

Comments

1. I will wait to pass judgement here. First, he isn't mired in this new reality yet. Second, I feel anyone can see that being quiet and taking it in that situation won't get you anything worthwhile.

Maybe he is setting up some kind of gay underground. Russia is making some really scarey choices here and anyone stuck in the middle is going to have to be super careful.

Personally, I hope he uses his celebrity to undermine this thing. Maybe actup and tank the olympics!

Posted by: Fensox | Feb 7, 2013 1:34:52 PM

2. Countries that respect human rights should boycott the Russian Olympics.

Posted by: Jay | Feb 7, 2013 2:20:27 PM

3. They can have him.

Posted by: Randy | Feb 7, 2013 3:01:40 PM

4. All the reason in the world the Olympics should NOT be in Russia. Just saying.

Posted by: reality | Feb 7, 2013 4:06:33 PM

5. Never cared for this twit.

Posted by: jht | Feb 7, 2013 4:25:19 PM

6. Disgusting.

Posted by: spankeh | Feb 7, 2013 4:30:46 PM

7. Johnny is A neutered bedazzled lap poodle.
    And luckily he won't be competing in Sochi unless perhaps the synchronized skating is co-ed.

Posted by: mcNnyc | Feb 7, 2013 4:56:45 PM

8. Really, Johnny Weir? Other gay athletes need to tone down the flamboyance? Seriously? Seriously.

Posted by: Indigo Celeste (@IndigoCeleste) | Feb 7, 2013 8:34:08 PM

9. The only morally right thing to do is to boycott next year's olympic games.

Posted by: Tanoka | Feb 7, 2013 10:46:00 PM

10. Indigo Celeste: I took his comment about toning it down to be satire given his own flamboyance.

As to the Russians, they are used to suffering. Given their history, they expect it and make sure that nobody living there will be disappointed in being left out of the national experience.

Try the following: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhaBGrrPo0g - supposedly a full production of Khovanshchina - and if you go through all the segments to the end, you'll see the Old Believers burning themselves to death for the sake of religious fanaticism (last scene) with operatic staging, of course, so nothing gory. If you don't like opera, sitting through all five acts will give you an idea of how interminable Russian suffering is.

Curiously, Mussorgsky wrote it in St. Petersburg.

Posted by: Bill | Feb 7, 2013 11:24:37 PM

11. Malarkey!!!

Posted by: Kissyfur | Feb 8, 2013 2:42:46 AM

12. Please Please Skating officials spare us the sight of this waste of gay space. I liked JW more when he said nothing and was crashing down on the ice more than hoisting medals.

Posted by: DC Arnold | Feb 8, 2013 8:25:34 AM

13. Anyone else see a resemblance between Weir and Kiwi?

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 8, 2013 1:16:30 PM

14. being flamboyant shouldn't ever be something worth getting threatened over, or kicked out. It just goes to show how unhealthy societal machismo attitudes can be..and how there's n rational behind it. What makes a flamboyant man less worthy of respect than a alpha man? how do you define character between those two traits?

Posted by: Cots | Feb 8, 2013 1:17:55 PM

15. Many gays are naturally, inherently feminine. I know I am. I HATE the expression 'tone it down'...tone what down? My personality? my likes? the way I naturally walk? Why doesn't anyone tell a hyper masculine guy to tone down his mannerisms? I'm not an obnoxious person, but I certainly am feminine. Those are two separate things, and one is innate and can't be changed

Posted by: Markus Melord | Feb 8, 2013 1:19:31 PM

16. of all the horrible things to be in life..is being flamboyant any worse than being the many other things non flamboyant men can be? like arrogant, greedy, mean, ruthless, shady...those are characteristics worth telling people to tone down. Not what outfit they like to wear.

Posted by: Steve-ATL | Feb 8, 2013 1:20:41 PM

17. this kid flashes his flamboyance everywhere yet tells people to tone it down if they are flamboyant. He has used playing the gay card to his benefit and wouldnt be anywhere without his own gayness, yet says he resents having to do any work for the gay community. He says he's a really good person in one interview, then says if it were legal, he'd hunt down every animal and wear it as fashion.
    he's a vile disgusting nasty creep! go away johnny. and another thing..you're old now! you're little act you did for 8 years of being sassy and cute looks creepy on a 30 year old.

Posted by: Jim | Feb 8, 2013 1:24:36 PM

18. Wow, Johnny Weir managed to intertwine the pride flag, public sex, aggressive homosexuals, and "not making an issue of sexuality"....hmmmm... Where have I heard this before?

Posted by: anony6 | Feb 8, 2013 3:19:14 PM

19. The people on here that are 'calling out' JW and saying people should protest with public displays of affection are frightening to me... Do they not realize that in different countries there are different rules..? The only good advise/ call/ in this feed was to say that JW should loudly boycott the games.. Yes, JW is a flamer, but I read a gay man's genuine concern for other gay athletes entering a strange land with different customs and beliefs.. Geesh!

Posted by: Rd | Feb 10, 2013 12:38:45 AM