Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | New York | News

Passengers Applaud as Gay Man Faces Down Homophobic Street Preacher in NYC Subway: VIDEO

Subway

A gay subway rider has his 'I've had enough and I'm not gonna take it anymore moment, inspiring applause from other riders as he shouts down a preacher calling gay sex an abomination.

"I'm a man. And I'm a good man. And I'm a gay man and Jesus loves me. Jesus loves me!"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via intelligencer)

Comments

1. @Paul B: You're welcome, son.

Posted by: Jack | Feb 18, 2013 7:39:10 PM

2. @HKFCA--I see your point--as a gay man raised Catholic I know that religion can suck and do awful things, and that half the time it's ridiculous (maybe more than half). I guess my experience of religion has been that it's basically about human interpretation of ancient texts that could be read many different ways. Even within the city I live we have Catholic churches that are super-conservative and still do a Latin Mass, and others that actually are LGBT affirmative and very socially progressive. The same is true of other major denominations. I have a hard time imagining a future in which most people don't still cling to religious belief, and I'd rather see churches grow and stay strong that are actually doing good and interpreting their role in the world and in people's lives in a positive way. I feel like something has to balance the far right crazy versions of religion, and maybe that something includes both the progressive theists as well as agnostics and atheists.

Posted by: Stefan | Feb 18, 2013 8:02:12 PM

3. So lucky religious craze doesn't reach such levels around here, preaching in public is rarely seen (there are crazy people too of course), my condolences to all my American brothers. Because there such madness is still endorsed for a big chunk of society who believe it word by word. But you get stronger also, that's the good side.

Posted by: SayTheTruth | Feb 18, 2013 8:16:00 PM

4. I always wondered how to respond to those nut heads. And here this guy shows me by keeping it simple, clear, and by repeating it. Cannot wait for my next chance to practice. Their thinly-veiled hate must be countered.

Posted by: greg | Feb 18, 2013 8:37:57 PM

5. @Greg: Pepper spray works better.

Posted by: Picante | Feb 18, 2013 8:38:52 PM

6. The best way to slay a troll is to ignore it.

Posted by: Firestorm | Feb 18, 2013 8:48:20 PM

7. There we see two sides of the religious myth coin. One side the hateful myths and the other side the loving myths. I too would applaud the man speaking the loving myths. But it is human arrogance to think that the creator (if there be one) of this billion gallaxy universe is concerned with what humans on this third rock from our star are doing.

Posted by: andrew | Feb 18, 2013 8:52:02 PM

8. @jamal49: Matthew 6:1-15 would today be called something like product differentiation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCiihU4SOZQ shows what they were competing against (the video is a trailer for a San Francisco Opera production of Sampson and Delilah, with very hot, scantily clad male dancers). No wonder they didn't like those pagans - the pagans were having way too much fun.

Posted by: Bill | Feb 18, 2013 9:06:15 PM

9. All religion is evil nonsense. Please see past it.

Posted by: danswon | Feb 18, 2013 9:26:22 PM

10. I would actually like to see someone, who really knows how, just punch him in the mouth . If a crazy guy was up on the train spewing racist,( or misogynist,) hate and intimidation, he could expect to get punched, at least, unless he was much bigger than everyone else. And he wouldn't be able to claim it was his religion.

Posted by: Hank | Feb 18, 2013 9:53:06 PM

11. I don't care if the guy was gay or not. If he thinks some 'god' loves him, he's as effing crazy as the preacher.

Posted by: Walt | Feb 19, 2013 1:09:14 AM

12. Walt: Disrespecting other beliefs doesn't make you smart.

I'm pretty sure the guy has zero intentions to yell the preacher, but sometimes, enough is enough and you can't help it

Posted by: jjose712 | Feb 19, 2013 6:53:57 AM

13. typical subway.

Posted by: kodiak | Feb 19, 2013 6:56:11 AM

14. Gay Christians? Just can't let go of that fairy tale mommy and daddy taught you, huh?

Sad. All you do is support an organization that does not want you.

And by the way, pick and choose - the book does say "a man who lies with another man shall be stoned" so do what all religious freaks do and pick and choose.

RELIGION IS FOR FREAKS! Accept reality.

Do you pray for forgiveness when you have anal sex???

Posted by: GRivera | Feb 19, 2013 7:24:04 AM

15. "God and cares for all of us..."????

The same god who destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah? Watered down the world for Noah because the world did not follow him. And will set you a fire if you do not worship him? Not my kind of idol.

Jesus was the greatest liar on the planet to state he was the son of an Almighty – some great teachings – but what a liar,

Get with it gays – the churches do not want you

Posted by: GRivera | Feb 19, 2013 7:28:28 AM

16. Hello I'm Julian and this is my friend Sandy... Go it Gurl!!!

Posted by: DC Arnold | Feb 19, 2013 7:52:33 AM

17. Street preachers are usually pathetic nut cases like this looser. Bravo to the gay guy for standing up to him.

Posted by: seaguy | Feb 19, 2013 8:21:18 AM

18. God bless this guy from standing up to the crazed bigot and for doing some in a loving and honest way rather than a violent or hateful way. Hopefully the crazed bigot realized that it was his gay victim who is the actual Christian of the two people involved and that homophobia is by definition anti-Christian.

Posted by: DB | Feb 19, 2013 12:30:31 PM

19. That was annoying .

Posted by: Johnny | Feb 19, 2013 1:06:19 PM

20. Not sure how it got to this level, I agree that it's better not to engage such folks, but...

I applaud this man for taking the courageous stand that he did, without knowing the outcome. I'm sure he must have worried about his safety during this extended exchange.

As a genderqueer woman who has endured rancor and rejection from some evangelistic newcomers in my family, he did the right thing.

For some of the kooked-out far right, they will only discuss life situations in religious terms. I had to have a similar private "showdown" with my father's loony girlfriend as he was dying from cancer. I invoked God in his defense. Depends on the situation. Thanks for posting this.

Posted by: Gloria | Mar 1, 2013 11:40:00 AM