Discrimination | Education | News

Indiana High School Teacher, Students Want 'Traditional Prom' Without Any Gays: VIDEO

Sullivan

A group of students and teachers at Sullivan High School in Indiana want gays banned form the Sullian High School Prom, and if that's not possible want a separate, "traditional prom", WTWO reports:

Students say there are several others from their high school who agree, but are afraid to take a stand.

"If we can get a good prom then we can convince more people to come and follow what they believe," said student Kynon Johnson. And now they want everyone to know where they stand. "We want to make the public see that we love the homosexuals, but we don't think it's right nor should it be accepted," said a local student.

MedleyThe students are getting support from a special education teacher who doesn't believe people are born gay:

Diana Medley is a special education teacher in town. She doesn't believe anyone is born gay.

"I believe that it was life circumstances and they chose to be that way; God created everyone equal," said Medley.

"Homosexual students come to me with their problems, and I don't agree with them, but I care about them. It's the same thing with my special needs kids, I think God puts everyone in our lives for a reason," said Madley.

"'So the same goes for gays? Do you think they have a purpose in life?' No I honestly don't. Sorry, but I don't. I don't understand it. A gay person isn't going to come up and make some change unless it's to realize that it was a choice and they're choosing God," said Medley.

Watch a WTWO report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. The word "teacher" should be put in quotation marks.

Posted by: Jack M | Feb 11, 2013 12:14:33 PM

2. I play a little game in my head and when I read somethign like "a group of students and teachers at Sullivan High School in Indiana want gays banned from teh Sullivan High School Prom"; I substitute some other oppressed minority and see how it flies. Try it, this is hate filled bigotry at its worse.

Posted by: Rob | Feb 11, 2013 12:18:55 PM

3. Ok, this actually makes me want to cry.

Young LGBT people fighting for visibility and the freedom to be just who they are, supported by the liberals in society who value truth and facts over religious-based nonsense...and what are they met with? Profound willful ignorance from grown adults who choose to ignore facts, logic, evidence, rationality, and anything resembling intelligent logic. And those pathetic adults in turn contribute to the trickle-down-ignorance and bigotry that is leading these awful students to feel they need, and deserve, a prom that is separate from "those gays."

That "special education teacher" should be fired. And those students putting their hatred into action should be haunted by this for the rest of their lives.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Feb 11, 2013 12:26:14 PM

4. We love THE gays, we just don't want THE gays to be happy or live life to the fullest. Sure sounds like love to me.

Posted by: Joe | Feb 11, 2013 12:28:49 PM

5. Is anyone else completely exhausted by these people whose beliefs are so out of touch with today's society? I live in Indiana and love my state and know so many people that are not like this. This woman and these particular students make me ashamed to be a hoosier. Grow up and live your own life, stop trying to destroy other people's lives. Blerg

Posted by: Rob | Feb 11, 2013 12:31:19 PM

6. You gotta love the passive-aggressive, bullsh*t attitude of, "We love you but, get out!" that "Christians" seem to have in abundance. Okay, not just Christians, but most religions. "OMG! It makes me uncomfortable, therefore it must be banned!" Isn't it interesting that, for the most part, the rest of us don't try to pull the same sh*t when it comes to how uncomfortable they make the rest of us?
    I try to be tolerant and accepting of the endless religious bull-crap that hounds us everyday, but sometimes I just want to be a huge hypocrite give it right back. Why do I have to be so f*cking reasonable? In fact, I used to support things like, not 'forcing' religious organizations to marry gay people out of respect for their beliefs. I believed that only on the government level should this occur, and whatever churches were accepting. More and more I am starting to care less about how they feel, or their completely false beliefs. There may be a creator, but I'm quite positive all religions were made up by humans. Humans who didn't even know the world was a globe or that those shiny things in the sky weren't angels looking down on us, but other "suns", or that storms, earthquakes, etc. were not from an angry God, but natural occurrences due to any number of natural occurrences on Earth. Screw them all...and not in a good way.

Posted by: John | Feb 11, 2013 12:42:18 PM

7. this teacher needs to be fired.

Posted by: robert | Feb 11, 2013 12:55:12 PM

8. How many out gay students could there be at a school that would have bigots like these? It seems like they're targeting a few specific students.

Posted by: Kyle | Feb 11, 2013 1:01:00 PM

9. @Kyle - there's likely, if any, like FIVE.

you've gotta be a profoundly bigoted and insecure human being to get upset about this the way these pigs are.

this is truly galling.

btw, there aint nothing in the bible that says two men or two women cant' attend a dance together.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Feb 11, 2013 1:07:05 PM

10. Of course, Miss Medley can only know this for sure because she "changed" herself.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Feb 11, 2013 1:09:24 PM

11. Of the three people whose pics appear with this article, which do you think are closet-cases?

Posted by: Danny Berry, NYC | Feb 11, 2013 1:12:53 PM

12. It's not clear from the story, but I believe this teacher doesn't teach at this High School but is a teacher from another unnamed school "in town." She's not listed as being a member of the faculty on the school's website.

Posted by: Neil | Feb 11, 2013 1:13:47 PM

13. A student sent a letter to this site talking about the situation, as well as gives a link to the facebook page supporting an inclusive prom.

Posted by: LiamB | Feb 11, 2013 1:14:22 PM

14. The real outcome of this depends on where the prom is held. My prom was in a hotel ballroom and was in essence a school sanctioned event but no public school dollars went to pay for the prom. In many places, proms are held in gymnasiums in a public school building, and are clearly an official function of the school.

So once again- if it's private then they can invite or exclude anyone they like. If it's government, then it's open to all students.

BTW- Prom was boring.

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 11, 2013 1:16:18 PM

15. Diana Medley
    medleyd@nesc.k12.in.us medleyd@nesc.k12.in.us

North Central Jr./Sr. High School
    Phone: (812) 397-2132
    Principal Candice Fritz
    fritzc@nesc.k12.in.us

Posted by: JX | Feb 11, 2013 1:26:31 PM

16. TELL THE IGNORANT ANIMAL DIANA MEDLEY HOW YOU FEEL! medleyd@nesc.k12.in.us

Posted by: bd | Feb 11, 2013 1:26:45 PM

17. Kynon Johnson locked down his facebook page, but his other page "Johnson MX Racing" is still open and open for comment. Keep it civil folks.

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 11, 2013 1:26:54 PM

18. TELL THE IGNORANT ANIMAL DIANA MEDLEY HOW YOU FEEL! medleyd@nesc.k12.in.us

Posted by: bd | Feb 11, 2013 1:26:59 PM

19. TELL THE IGNORANT ANIMAL DIANA MEDLEY HOW YOU FEEL! medleyd@nesc.k12.in.us

Posted by: bd | Feb 11, 2013 1:27:49 PM

20. TELL THE IGNORANT ANIMAL DIANA MEDLEY HOW YOU FEEL! medleyd@nesc.k12.in.us

Posted by: bd | Feb 11, 2013 1:28:04 PM

21. You can sign a petition calling for her termination:

Posted by: Neil | Feb 11, 2013 1:30:54 PM

22. "Do you think they have a purpose in life?' No I honestly don't. Sorry, but I don't. I don't understand it."

To say that about ANY person or child, be they gay, straight, special needs or whatever is the most appalling statement. Every person is a child of your God. We are all put here for a purpose (or so your religion believes) are you doubting him? Blasphemy.

Posted by: BETTY | Feb 11, 2013 1:36:19 PM

23. John: Most autistic and gay people don't consider themselves birth defects, as you put it. I'm both, and find your comment unnecessary, uninformed and short-sighted.
    I'd bet that the few people who'd want to change their neurology or their orientation are motivated by dealing with the day-in, day-out hatred, intolerance and misunderstanding of the so-called 'normal' assholes around them.

Posted by: Ben | Feb 11, 2013 1:41:30 PM

24. BTW, how very "Mean Girls". So typical "high school clique". "We're going to have a prom but you aren't invited" Ha Ha. Are they going to exclude the nerds, ethnic kids and the unpopular kids too? Ick.

Posted by: BETTY | Feb 11, 2013 1:41:33 PM

25. "christian love" ... where's the love?

Posted by: reality | Feb 11, 2013 1:44:05 PM