Discrimination | Education | News

Indiana High School Teacher, Students Want 'Traditional Prom' Without Any Gays: VIDEO

Sullivan

A group of students and teachers at Sullivan High School in Indiana want gays banned form the Sullian High School Prom, and if that's not possible want a separate, "traditional prom", WTWO reports:

Students say there are several others from their high school who agree, but are afraid to take a stand.

"If we can get a good prom then we can convince more people to come and follow what they believe," said student Kynon Johnson. And now they want everyone to know where they stand. "We want to make the public see that we love the homosexuals, but we don't think it's right nor should it be accepted," said a local student.

MedleyThe students are getting support from a special education teacher who doesn't believe people are born gay:

Diana Medley is a special education teacher in town. She doesn't believe anyone is born gay.

"Homosexual students come to me with their problems, and I don't agree with them, but I care about them. It's the same thing with my special needs kids, I think God puts everyone in our lives for a reason," said Madley.

"'So the same goes for gays? Do you think they have a purpose in life?' No I honestly don't. Sorry, but I don't. I don't understand it. A gay person isn't going to come up and make some change unless it's to realize that it was a choice and they're choosing God," said Medley.

Watch a WTWO report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. BTW, no human being is put into another person's life for a 'purpose'. our lives are our own, and nobody needs a reason to exist, much less to teach someone about their own bigotry, or to provide 'challenges' to overcome.

Posted by: Ben | Feb 11, 2013 1:44:44 PM

2. Neil,
    THANK YOU for the link on the petition calling for her termination. I signed it immediately and strongly encourage others to do the same AND pass along this petition to everyone you know!

Posted by: Mike | Feb 11, 2013 1:59:47 PM

3. From the story:

"Christians have always been prepared for a fight. Jesus gave us armor for the front, not the back; we're not running anymore," said Bill Phegley with Carlisle Church."

Maybe that's the problem: too much fight, not enough love. I think that is what Jesus would want. Be a lover, not a fighter.

Posted by: BETTY | Feb 11, 2013 2:02:55 PM

4. I'm sorry, wasn't this the town that banned dancing in Footloose? LOL

Posted by: BETTY | Feb 11, 2013 2:05:02 PM

5. "Blah, blah, blah blah blah." Translated: I am a bigoted and deeply messed up 'educator' who likes to compare LGBT folks to other Special Needs folks.

Only person with special needs is this tired bee-ach. She needs to remember the Bible says women are to stay at home and keep there mouths shut.

Posted by: SoSeriouslyY | Feb 11, 2013 2:26:11 PM

6. What makes them think they have the power to "condone" or "condemn" anything? I hate when people like this assume they are in power and they are allowing the rest of us whatever their graciousness seems befit to bestow.

Posted by: Anonymous | Feb 11, 2013 2:39:45 PM

7. Sounds like a lot of "special needs" people at this school, starting with that teacher.

Posted by: SoLeftImRight | Feb 11, 2013 2:58:36 PM

8. This is what happens when ignorance and bigotry meet religion. This 'special ed' teacher needs special ed. Morons one and all.

Posted by: Molc | Feb 11, 2013 3:04:01 PM

9. How gross. Wouldn't a "traditional prom" also be racially segregated?

Posted by: jd | Feb 11, 2013 3:51:40 PM

10. "I believe that it was life circumstances and they chose to be that way; God created everyone equal," said Medley.

If everyone is created equal regardless of choice or environmental influence, who are you to make the judgement of whom can or cannot go to a prom?

Posted by: jakeinlove | Feb 11, 2013 5:32:27 PM

11. So if God created everyone equal how does this teacher have a job. We shouldn't need Special Needs Teachers if this was the case.

Posted by: Matt K | Feb 11, 2013 5:32:34 PM

12. Robert Smith ZIONSVILLE, IN · 3 minutes ago · Liked 0 UEvidently Ms. Medley has not had much contact with the gay side of life. I don't know how anyone in their right mind could even begin to think that any person would choose a life where we were bullied, shunned, threatened, beaten, murdered, etc. because we made a choice of our sexual orientation. She is much more special needs than any of the children she teaches and that is sad, because they deserve so much better than she will ever be able to give.

Posted by: Robert G Smith | Feb 11, 2013 5:43:30 PM

13. Why don't they just line up the gay teens and slit their wrists for them? It'd save so much time!

Posted by: Eric26 | Feb 11, 2013 6:32:57 PM

14. I don't know whether to be sad, angry or both.....I am more bummed out and angry about this teacher who teaches special ed students.....her response about gblt students has me very disturbed as anyone with an ounce of brains has to realize if you give the kind of response to kids questioning their sexuality, they are going to internalize this response and possibly end up a statistic.... the separation of church and state is sadly lacking from this teacher and has no place in a public school setting..........here's hoping she gets fired

Posted by: Bernie | Feb 11, 2013 7:26:58 PM

15. i love those kind of comments: i love you, but everything about you is wrong and you're going to hell for it

Posted by: luke | Feb 11, 2013 8:32:50 PM

16. Ignoring the obvious, scientific flaw in Mrs. Medley's claims, I find it hilarious that after assuming that we cannot be born gay, she goes on to compare us to special needs kids, somehow missing the point that they don't chose to be born that way.

But the funniest part of this story is definitely the girl saying that "We want to make the public see that we love the homosexuals, but we don't think it's right nor should it be accepted," because those two are obviously mutually exclusive.... oh wait.

Posted by: PH | Feb 11, 2013 8:34:53 PM

17. Here is Diana Medley's Facebook page:

Posted by: JPN | Feb 11, 2013 9:52:11 PM

18. Medley said:"Homosexual students come to me with their problems, and I don't agree with them, but I care about them.

Well, I would be willing bet that she won't have to worry about any "homosexual students" approaching her to help them with any of their problems in the future. I would think that any student with an iota of homosexual feelings would run to the nearest exit when she walks into a room.
    She should NEVER be allowed to use the title of teacher; bigot would be much more appropriate.

Posted by: ***** | Feb 12, 2013 12:06:27 AM

19. PH: just as a "point of order," special needs kids may not be "born that way" as childhood illnesses or accidents can also be responsible. Of course neither is a "choice".

Posted by: Bill | Feb 12, 2013 12:19:39 AM

20. "I think God puts everyone in our lives for a reason."

What a dimwit! God certainly didn't put gay people in your life so you can step on them.

Posted by: Guy | Feb 12, 2013 12:22:16 AM

21. Yet another example of why it would be helpful for SCOTUS to treat homosexuals as a protected class. I'd have to think that a prom held on school grounds would constitute state action and therefore held to federal constitutional standards.

Posted by: Stefan | Feb 12, 2013 12:37:10 AM

22. I am living proof that gays have a purpose in life. I've been a trauma nurse for 10 years and I've saved many lives throughout those years and will still do. I am respected by my colleagues, coworkers, and patients. To say that I don't have a purpose in life and I did not make a change in the world is abhorrent.

Posted by: EJ | Feb 12, 2013 12:39:57 AM

23. You know, this could backfire on the bigots. Suppose they hold their own straight-only prom and only a few couples show up?

Posted by: Bill | Feb 12, 2013 1:10:37 AM

24. ACLU baby!
    You can't get in the way of a students freedom of expression when appropriate (like simply taking a same sex date to a prom)

Posted by: cici | Feb 12, 2013 2:53:02 AM

25. then people say homophobia doesn't exist in society? REALLY? It exists big time and usually goes unchecked.

Posted by: Mike | Feb 12, 2013 3:14:48 AM