Discrimination | News | Oregon

BigGayDeal.com

Activists Protest Bigoted 'Sweet Cakes' Bakery While Business Booms: VIDEO

Sweetckaes

Sweet Cakes, the Oregon bakery which refused to bake a cake after they found out it was for a lesbian's wedding, was the target of a protest on Saturday, KATU reports:

Dozens of people showed up outside Sweet Cakes by Melissa Saturday afternoon to voice their opposition to Aaron Klein’s decision not to make the cake. “That’s wrong. That’s a crime in Oregon,” said protester Rob Cochran. “I need to let people know if you’re going to do that as a business, there are going to be consequences.”

Meanwhile, the business is experiencing the Chick-fil-A effect — its bigoted Christian supporters are coming out in droves to support it.

Oregon Attorney General's civil enforcement officers are looking into whether Klein broke the law by discriminating.

Watch video of the protest and interviews with Klein and customers, AFTER THE JUMP...

Sweetcakesprotest

Comments

1. So he won't make a cake for a lesbian wedding because he "goes against his religion"?

I guess that means he also shouldn't make cakes for non-Christians, atheists, divorcees, adulterers, and people who had pre-martial sex. Whoops...there goes 99% of his clientele!

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Feb 11, 2013 8:02:15 PM

2. What they don't realize is that that "show of support" will go down at some point and if they are actually sued or something by the state that will eat those revenues faster than you can say cake. Is too sad that there are people out there that still have this line of thinking. Hopefully one day they will change.

Posted by: me_in_pdx | Feb 11, 2013 10:44:16 PM

3. @JAKE
    If you allow for bigotry from one business because of their "religious" beliefs you are opening a VERY BIG slippery slope for other businesses to act on "other" beliefs that may not be religious. I mean where is it to stop? We all have things to argue about, I like blue but you may not like blue, therefore I wont serve you because you are wearing blue. If you but a stop to bigotry, then maybe, we will be better. Tell me, how are those business owners going to be able to "police" future cakes? Believe me, if someone wanted to use one of their cakes for a gay wedding, they will find a way. What are those business owners going to do? File a lawsuit because their "religious" beliefs were broken?

Posted by: me_in_pdx | Feb 11, 2013 10:50:40 PM

4. @ one heart

"So you do support the KKK and other white supremacy groups, correct."

I support their right to free speech, freedom of association, and their property rights. And so does the ACLU.

What is that you don't understand? Have you never read , 'I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."?

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 11, 2013 11:26:08 PM

5. @ Will

I don't think we are second class citizens. IN defending this man's right to freedom of association I am defending my own right to freedom of association. He doesn't have to serve me and I don't have to serve him, and neither of us has to serve the idiot Kiwi.

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 11, 2013 11:28:15 PM

6. When is Towleroad going to make it necessary to log in to comment, like one of the few things that Queerty has done right?

The schitzophrenic troll is getting rather annoying.

He is running a business not a religious establishments, he either serves all or none.

Posted by: Blake | Feb 12, 2013 1:06:23 AM

7. The short term boost in sales is fortunate for these people in that they will need the money for the inevitable legal fees & probable fines. When pay up time comes their fans will have had their fill of cake.

Posted by: Dearcomrade | Feb 12, 2013 1:34:45 AM

8. Well, looks like this little family owned bakery has got all the free PR it could ever want.

And business is booming.

Way to go.

Posted by: Buckie | Feb 12, 2013 2:37:36 AM

9. "Bigoted christian supporters?" Says who?

Who is anyone to assume that every supporter of this business is either a bigot or a christian? Maybe this bakery makes good desserts and their customers aren't deterred by this fallout...or maybe they are experiencing a boost in revenue from people who believe in the business owners right to refuse service for any reason and to not be forced into submitting because their position may be unpopular.

It's a bitter pill to swallow, I know, but not everyone who isn't a supporter of the gays is a bible thumbling christian. Plenty of Chick-Fil-A fans are probably anything BUT church goers.

You've let the media convince that gays have become so full circle that at this point there's a line in sand with one side being gays, allies, friends/family and a general public who supports gays....and on the other are bigots who only dislike gays because of what their religion told them.

I don't think that's the case even half the time.

Yeah, sure there are religious bigots, who hold scripture as their justification for not liking gays. However, there are some people who dislike gays simply because they think homosexuality is odd or too different from who they are...and there other people are merely apathetic and don't give a crap about the gay/anti-gay struggle, don't see it as a race they have a dog in and therefore don't allow themselves to get caught up the push and pull of situations like this.

Posted by: Matt Kuksa | Feb 12, 2013 5:24:49 AM

10. If this lesbian couple doesn't sue them, another gay couple should. It's a clear legal victory in court.

Posted by: DanTheMan | Feb 12, 2013 5:53:35 AM

11. Matt Kuksa...nice try but our gay movement has made more strides in a very short period of time than any other movement before it. We're winning and we're beating you all badddd. We won this culture war. We came out, PROUDLY openly gay, and made sure our coworkers, friends and those around us knew it. Then we took our movement to elected officials and politicians and have made our cause one of our PRESIDENTS most prominent agendas. Then we took our movement to media/movies/entertainment industry. We also appealed to the youth.
    Now being against gays IS very unpopular and does result in major backlash of being pegged as that backward bigot you described.

Face it. Your side lost, our side won, and on a daily basis OUR SIDE (and yes, it is sides) is attaining more and more members and allies. The momentum is toward our movement.
    You can only source one "victory" Chik Fil A (which has attained so much more backlash than actual gains)
    We can source a million gay related victories in the past 6 months, to your ONE fast food chain example.

Posted by: Jordan | Feb 12, 2013 6:03:30 AM

12. To David Hearne,
    I didn’t say that I didn’t support their right to free speech, freedom of association, and their property rights.

HOW DARE YOU PUT WORDS IN TO MY MOUTH!

I can play your childish game too.
    I do not support KKK bigots like you that would deny people equal service to the public.
    And if you don’t like be called a Klansman then don’t lie about what I say.

Posted by: 1♥ | Feb 12, 2013 6:54:45 AM

13. Those protesting the bakery's discriminatory business practices are exercising their free speech rights, so anyone who supports free speech should be applauding their actions. Likewise, the bakery owners have the right to say whatever they want about gay people and to air whatever bigoted beliefs they hold. That doesn't give them the right, however, to exclude groups they don't happen to like from a public business--the first amendment doesn't give people the right to ignore non-discrimination laws for religious or any other reasons. I'm not sure why some posters here are confused about that.

Posted by: Ernie | Feb 12, 2013 9:27:41 AM

14. "I would rather have my kids see their dad stand up for what he believes in, than have him bow down because one person complained." There are thousands more than you know that complain about this. Stop hiding behind your religion and just admit that you are a bigot and a homophobe. You may be enjoying a "Chick-fillet" effect from this act of bigotry, but I can assure you, a month from now those who flocked to support you will not be bothered by your supposed martyrdom. 20 years from now, this will be just another embarrassing chapter in American civil rights history. You and your discriminatory stance will be used as an example to teach children in our country how we once were so hateful and bigoted. Is that the legacy you want to leave for your children? Meanwhile, those who stood up for civil rights and equality in this country will remember. And we will be proud of our actions to oppose you. Mark my words, this will not be forgotten.

Posted by: Rob Cochran | Feb 15, 2013 6:38:09 AM