News | Oscars | Seth MacFarlane

BigGayDeal.com

The 2013 Oscars Opening Number: VIDEO

Lgmc

Here's the opening number of Seth MacFarlane's Oscars, which lasted nearly 18 minutes, and featured  William Shatner, dance numbers from Channing Tatum and Charlize Theron, Joseph Gordon Levitt and Daniel Radcliffe, and the Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles in a tribute to boobs.

Your verdict?

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Why are the Oscars so homophobic?

Oscars voters are 94% white and more than 77% male, with median age of 62.

Posted by: Eric | Feb 25, 2013 12:20:22 AM

2. My favorite part was when Michelle O showed up!

Posted by: NY2.0 | Feb 25, 2013 12:34:00 AM

3. Armando,

Oh, so a liberal homophobe is ok but a conservative one isn'r? Wow, just
    wow.

Posted by: rise | Feb 25, 2013 12:54:15 AM

4. Liberal homophobes are everywhere in Hollywood. They are pigs.

Posted by: rise | Feb 25, 2013 12:55:54 AM

5. Dreadful. Seth MacFarlane is crude, charmless, so bad at times that one gasps (an assassination joke? really?). That nonstop nervous swaying from side to side was as nauseating as his personality and his poor jokes. A horrible host, as bad and unfunny as his stupid teddy bear.

Posted by: SC David | Feb 25, 2013 1:07:17 AM

6. Either the comments section of Towleroad is overrun with trolls or the world has finally become so mind-numbingly stupid that there really are just that many thick people posting here.

If you think Seth MacFarlane is a homophobe then you don't know anything about him. He has long been a friend of the gay community and a vocal supporter of LGBT equality and marriage equality. He's frequently known to make jokes about all types of people on his animated shows but he's never singled out LGBT people. People with no sense of humor shouldn't comment on things that are meant to be humorous because the jokes are clearly lost on them and they will likely be offended by something.

The reason no one laughs at a conservative Republican when talking about gays is because they're usually not joking, but instead busy voting to take away our civil rights and demonize us by quoting an antiquated book of fiction which has long been used to convince people that we are a danger to society.

It's amazing that the Oscars are supposedly homophobic and yet you had the LA Gay Men's Chorus there AND a shout-out by Michelle Obama at the end. I know, I know, you'll all whine that she didn't come out and say the word "gay," but some of us with half a brain have no problem understanding what she means when she says, "no matter who you love."

God, the comments here are more insufferable with each passing day. This website would be drastically improved if Andy just disabled them.

Posted by: Ryan | Feb 25, 2013 1:13:39 AM

7. Since you advocate the elimination of comments, Ryan, perhaps you should stop posting. Or is foolish consistency not a hobgoblin of your little mind? I never called MacFarlane a homophobe, just a bad host. A very bad host. And thanks for the lecture on how anyone who doesn't find funny what you find funny lacks a sense of humor. I didn't realize assassination jokes were funny. Just can't wait to try some of those out at the office!

Posted by: SC David | Feb 25, 2013 1:21:19 AM

8. Can the SAME mentally unbalanced person stop posting under different names about how homophobic the Oscars are???

The 2015 joke was NOT met with some look of horror but a matter of fact Um OK look. Seth even made a joke later on about how they were about to make the telecast even gayer.

I've always enjoyed Seth but he is on tops of guys I want to top list.

Posted by: Michael | Feb 25, 2013 1:21:40 AM

9. Thank you for posting, Ryan. This is exactly how I feel. Every day I read Towleroad and every day I get depressed by the comments. I think it's time to leave the party.

Posted by: Gary | Feb 25, 2013 1:28:48 AM

10. The Oscars this year were great. Anyone complaining has no taste. Very funny. Not homophobic. Homophobia complaints are coming from idiots. No jokes making fun of gay mens chorus, but jokes making fun of homophobia. best oscars. really great show. those criticizing it are idiots.

Posted by: John | Feb 25, 2013 1:43:01 AM

11. I wasn't calling you a homophobe, SC David, but rather Rise, Bruce, and Retey12 (although I suspect they're all the same person).

A lot of people won't find the assassination joke funny, or the Chris Brown and Rihanna joke, or the joke about women not being able to let anything go... but you know what? I laughed anyway. It doesn't mean I condone sexism, murder, or domestic violence. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy it and that crude humor is not your thing, but to each their own.

As for the comments here on Towleroad, I usually don't post. I came here on a Sunday night thinking (foolishly, I admit) that maybe people would have something nice to say for once, and instead I was greeted with a bunch of people on the first page accusing the Oscars of being homophobic. So it felt nice to vent, and now I'll go back to lurking and let Rick, Jason, and all the other mouth-breathers have their little corner of the internet back.

Posted by: Ryan | Feb 25, 2013 1:59:28 AM

12. I am sorry, I thought this was one of the worst Oscars ever. Also, Seth MacFarland is not funny. I love Barbra, but Dame Shirley out sung her. Yes there was a lot of homophobic humor on stage.

Posted by: Bucky Reynolds | Feb 25, 2013 2:12:18 AM

13. IMHO, Seth should not be asked back to host. Jokes were not funny and I was bored for most of the telecast. Funny thing about the Oscars and is that there are ALWAYS gay jokes, at least a couple every year and who writes this drivel? I can think of one gay man who always brags about writing and was once a head writer (still is?), Bruce Vilanch.

Posted by: Mike | Feb 25, 2013 2:22:32 AM

14. Couldn't get the player to work, it wanted to install something. But I watched live, it was enthralling, he is brilliant and talented and did not disappoint.

Posted by: NE1 | Feb 25, 2013 2:26:02 AM

15. I don't mind homophobic jokes from liberals because Gay Inc tells me that we should support liberals despite their flaws.../sarcasm off.

Posted by: rise | Feb 25, 2013 2:36:24 AM

16. I'm giving up on most comments too. Some of you are insane. There were as many jokes about Jews as about gays as about women. What would you expect from McFarlane? Ever seen one of his many shows?

There were actually a lot fewer gay jokes than in years past.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 25, 2013 2:38:47 AM

17. Did you notice there were no gay roles nominated but there were gay panic jokes. Liberals think gay panic jokes are ok.

Posted by: rise | Feb 25, 2013 2:39:58 AM

18. Ryan, you said what a lot of us think (at least I hope it's a lot of us). The comments on this site make me crazy and I normally stay away - I should have know better.

Posted by: ger | Feb 25, 2013 2:41:51 AM

19. Dame Shirley for the win!

Posted by: Rexford | Feb 25, 2013 3:09:21 AM

20. I'm so glad I'm not one of you guys! ... is not funny.Posted by: OSKAR
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Of course, he did NOT say that, he told the straight audience he wasn't Gay, which is a JOKE!!!!!
    However, the boob song was the very definition of "sophomoric", and rude to show it in the early evening when kids are watching

Posted by: Bob | Feb 25, 2013 3:26:31 AM

21. You could also take his comment to mean that he's not a member of the chorus and their voices are better. Who knows. Obviously we all know that Hollywood doesn't have any gays.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 25, 2013 3:50:49 AM

22. Hollywood wants us gay guys to be behind-the-scenes, not out front. The movies are about marketing romance to homophobic women. Women find male homosexual acts unsettling unless they are segregated or hidden.

Posted by: rise | Feb 25, 2013 4:17:55 AM

23. Sorry for all of my posts. I've been in a crappy mood all day. I woke up and realized that despite my prayers last night, I am still gay so my family won't let me eat dinner at the same table as them for a whole week. Again! It's not easy being a gay republican from a family of anti-gay bigots. I'm the worst kind of gay, too; no sense of humor, no genitalia worth blowing, and I get really upset whenever I see other gay people out having fun and enjoying themselves.

I hate liberals the most because they tend to love their gay kids, and that makes me jealous. If liberals didn't accept gays then my fellow conservatives would accept me, but they won't ever do that because they don't want to be like those liberals.

Posted by: Rise | Feb 25, 2013 8:24:08 AM

24. We Saw Your Boobs was juvenile.

Posted by: Jack M | Feb 25, 2013 8:44:14 AM

25. The only thing that will make it funnier would be Matt Damon reprise his role on Will and Grace crashing in on The Gay Men Chorus.

Posted by: bambinoitaliano | Feb 25, 2013 9:26:48 AM