Bullying | News

UK Teen Hangs Himself After Anti-Gay Bullying

Another teen lost to anti-gay bullying, this time in the UK. 16-year-old Anthony Stubbs' body was found in the woods near his home, six weeks after he had disappeared. He had hanged himself. His mother says it was because of anti-gay bullying:

StubbsStill, grieving Denise Machin believes she knows the reason very well. She blames the bullying girls who hounded him about his sexuality, and his own inner struggle with his feelings.

Denise, 34, says: “Anthony was getting bullied by girls for two years. He would get shouted ‘gay boy’ at, get slapped in the face, come home with his school jumper ripped and even got his phone stolen. He would be upset but pick himself up and go back the next day.

“I spoke to his teachers about it, but Anthony begged me not to get involved because it was making it worse and he’d get embarrassed.”

He had told his mother he was bisexual:

“Anthony was obviously experimenting, finding out who he was.” They reported Anthony missing on November 26, and on December 30 Denise and Charlotte gave an emotional press conference begging the teenager to come home.

But Denise admits now: “The press conference I did was awful — I knew deep down he wasn’t coming back. I just couldn’t feel him in my heart any more. I knew something serious had happened.”

When police found his body, Denise was almost relieved — especially because of the note he left.

It reads: “Well, I’m gone but not completely. I will be watching over you and making sure you make the right choices. And don’t forget me, I’m in heaven looking down. Please don’t grieve and try to move on as best you can, I love you all so very much.’

Comments

1. RAT...

My mother was 16 and my dad 18 when they married, I was born just 7 days after my mother's 17th birthday.

My parents never took welfare and both worked full time jobs.

You're wrong. You're wrong for making assumptions like this and excusing the bullying.

But most of all, you're wrong for parroting the Faux News mindless conservative party line BS.

You're projecting assumptions, I can only guess, about yourself.

Posted by: Anonymous And Gay | Feb 7, 2013 4:15:44 PM

2. How many more suicides do there have to be, before the people that drive people to suicide are even named ?

Then again, if you've driven someone to suicide, you can make all the excuses you want to, but you know you did it. You can convince yourself it wasn't your fault, but you know, and someone else knows, the role you played.

Some people can live with themselves, can live with hiding their guilt and lying about it. That's what's really scary to me about this type of thing.

Posted by: HowMuchLonger | Feb 7, 2013 4:20:44 PM

3. Some of these suicides were also sexually abused by parents...what a great cover excuse..

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Feb 7, 2013 5:20:40 PM

4. Girls are some of the biggest fvcking cvnts, especially in school. I think they're even worse than the boys. Nasty little b1tches.

So sad about this. So much for the UK being the laid back, easy going place it thinks it is.

Posted by: Sad | Feb 7, 2013 5:26:39 PM

5. Anyone think SAD is Rick? It would explain a lot!

Posted by: HUH | Feb 7, 2013 5:37:13 PM

6. Interesting...I remember getting bullied by girls, in fact my biggest bully was a girl, not for being gay though, just in general. I wonder which sex tends to bully gay men more...girls or guys.

Posted by: steve | Feb 7, 2013 5:47:54 PM

7. Warning: Being gay is deadly Thank today's gays community for all the helpful over exposure, where silence might have saved some lives.

Posted by: JC | Feb 7, 2013 5:49:52 PM

8. My two cents :
    I went to all boys schools, all my life. Never bullied. Go figure.

@ JC : I guess you were not a member of ACT UP then ?
    Silence = Death.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 7, 2013 8:07:04 PM

9. Those girls are idiots who need to be shamed as they have shamed.

Posted by: Carlos | Feb 7, 2013 9:12:57 PM

10. @Anonymous And Gay,

PLEASE...STFU about 'faux' news. I'm not interested in your hackneyed talking points. I DO NOT WATCH FOX NEWS.

COMMONSENSE says a 16 year old boy and 18 year old young woman shouldn't be having kids. And I don't really care if they [or your parents] will collect or didn't collect welfare. But of course VERY FEW kids their age can afford to have and raise a kid on their own, minus considerable public assistance. But the main reason is they are simply too young and immature.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 7, 2013 9:31:27 PM

11. @ JackFknTwist,

I also attended an all boys school for a while, there were effeminate boys who acted stereotypically gay, and guess what? They weren't bullied. In my experience it's actually exactly when there's a co-gender environment that drama and sh*it starts. Boys start becoming afraid girls may think they're gay, they want to show off for girls, and many girls provoke drama and violence. And the truth in many cases is some girls will tolerate effete gay guys [F-hags and others], generally feel sorry for them behind their backs, and don't really respect them.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 7, 2013 9:38:53 PM

12. @Huh: Nah, for all his many faults, Rick is a precise and on-point writer, you can tell when BullyKiwi is posting under his name.

@Sad: the only people that think the UK is "laid back" is Americans whose only exposure to the place is PBS shows. I've been there 7 times and each time I get warned "Don't go to [name of place], they don't like outsiders" or "Don't go to that bar, it's for locals only". I love the UK, but it's still horribly class-obsessed, tribal and in a lot of places, still stuck in the 19th Century.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Feb 7, 2013 10:36:49 PM

13. Parents are there to "get involved". This is heartbreaking.

Posted by: Jay | Feb 8, 2013 1:23:32 AM

14. I don't think the bullied should be removed from school - the bullies should. No one should have to be displaced because of the odious actions of others. And at the age of 16, it's such a shame that others around him didn't have the sense to speak up for him, even if he were too afraid to do so himself. Sometimes being a bystander is bad as the bullying itself.

Posted by: Dylancat | Feb 8, 2013 6:48:14 AM

15. Randy, screw the prison time. I favor taking baseball bats and beating the bigots into a pulp.

Posted by: jamal49 | Feb 8, 2013 9:58:55 AM

16. "I’m in heaven looking down."

Not to minimize any other factor in play here, but the religion factor should not be overlooked. This boy's suicide wasn't merely an expression of despair over this life; he thought there was another, better life awaiting him on the "other side."
    Speaking for myself, the #1 improvement in my life since giving up Christianity is that I NEVER, EVER think about suicide anymore. Formal doctrinal injunctions against suicide notwithstanding, being a gay Christian made me constantly want to be "absent from the body but present with the Lord." Now that I accept that this life is all there is, I don't want to despair or escape somewhere anymore when I feel attacked; instead, I get angry and fight back and deeply desire to EXIST!

Posted by: Dan B | Feb 8, 2013 11:01:16 AM