Michelle Shocked | Music | News

10 of 11 Tour Venues Cancel on Michelle Shocked After Her Career-Ending Anti-Gay Rant

Michelle Shocked's "God hates fags" rant on Sunday night has caused 10 of the 11 venues at which she had planned concert dates on her tour to cancel, Billboard reports:

ShockedCanceled Dates:

March 23 at McCabe's in Santa Monica
March 28 at Moe's Alley in Santa Cruz
March 29 at HopMonk in Novato, CA
April 24 at the Palms Playhouse in Winter, CA
April 25 at the Alberta Rose Theatre in Portland, OR
April 26 at Meanders Kitchen in Seattle
April 27 at Cozmic in Eugene, OR
May 3 at eTown Hall in Boulder, CO
May 5 at S.P.A.C.E in Evanston, IL
June 23 at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival

The only U.S. date that has not canceled Shocked at this point is the Harmony Bar in Madison, WI, where a person answering the phone Tuesday evening responded, "I won't know a damn thing until the boss comes back in eight days."

Meanwhile, a longer transcript of Shocked's remarks has emerged since the first reports.

The fuller transcript:

"When they stop Prop 8 and force priests at gunpoint to marry gays, it will be the downfall of civilization, and Jesus will come back...You can go on Twitter and say, 'Michelle Shocked says God hates fags.'"

UPDATE: AUDIO has emerged of her remarks.

Comments

1. I liked "Come a Long Way" but the little dance she did in the video was pretty gay.

Posted by: jamman | Mar 20, 2013 6:35:23 PM

2. Good. I'm glad whatever career she had left is in the toilet. Its no more than she deserves.

Posted by: John Freeman | Mar 20, 2013 6:41:25 PM

3. SHE NOW FEELS THE HURT , REJECTION AND ISOLATION, THAT PEOPLE LIKE HER CAUSE US DAILY.

Posted by: Jimmy Palmieri | Mar 20, 2013 8:27:29 PM

4. @snt
    You are ignorant about what free speech is: free speech has to do with the GOVERNMENT not infringing or penalizing you for your right to say anything you want. It has NOTHING to do with a private business or individuals who are offended by your hate speech.

You see, this woman can say anything she wants and if it hurts the establishment's profits or ethics, her mic can be turned off and asked to leave. Likewise, the offended recipients of her homophobic rant have a right to exercise their right to speak up against her diatribe.

Again, free speech has to do with the GOVERNMENT prohibiting or penalizing you for your speech and that is illegal. People expressing their opinions about those who hate them and want to obliterate them from the face of the earth, not so much.

Posted by: truthteller | Mar 20, 2013 8:45:59 PM

5. Hopefully her BIGOTRY has buried her career. I hope her next tune starts with the words: "Do you want fries with that burger?"

Posted by: andrew | Mar 20, 2013 10:32:43 PM

6. Wow, listening to that was just incredibly sad. What a scared, sad woman determined to wallow in her fear and helplessness, making herself insane in the process. Religion is like mad cow disease of the soul.

Posted by: tad | Mar 20, 2013 11:39:17 PM

7. Even if I had any of your C.D.'s, I wouldn't even use them as coasters. They'd go straight to the recycle bin. You are trash, Michelle. Too bad you are so messed up in the head with your kookie brand of "religion", you can't even see how hateful you are. Jesus is NOT in your heart, sweetie. He avoids hate. Get back to me after you study what being a real Christian is all about...until then, don't you dare call yourself Christian. You are as far removed from Christianity as an Atheist. I have more respect for an Atheist than I do you. They don't try to cloak their hate in Christianity. You sicken me. I hope you become financially ruined after this stupid stunt. I sure hope it was worth it, and I sure hope you have a different skill set to fall back on, because your music days are over.

Posted by: millerbeach | Mar 21, 2013 2:34:59 AM

8. Hmm, I hear the Boy Scouts are looking for someone to perform now that Carly's cancelled on them...

Posted by: Tim | Mar 21, 2013 8:16:04 AM

9. Jesus, im a straight woman from the most rural
    Spot in the west of ireland and even I hope she
    Goes to hell in a hand basket for this, from her
    Music I wudnt hav pegged her as a nazi...

Posted by: paula | Mar 21, 2013 9:04:05 AM

10. What would Morris Kight do? Bring it to Brownwood Michelle!

Who is she hanging out with that believes this? "When they stop Prop 8 and force priests at gunpoint to marry gays, it will be the downfall of civilization and Jesus will come back."

Moris Kight was right!

"I do not feel challenged by organized religion. In some cases it is helpful, and often is harmful."

Morris Kight, a Comanche County Texas Legend