Anderson Cooper | GLAAD | Madonna | News

Anderson Cooper Talks About GLAAD Award, Madonna: VIDEO

Glaad_anderson

As has been previously noted, Anderson Cooper will be receiving GLAAD's Vito Russo Award this year and Madonna is presenting it to him. Lisa Rinna made note of it on his daytime show today.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

In related news, a group of rabid Little Monsters is reportedly threatening GLAAD over its choice of presenter, making false claims about Madonna, who was a fierce campaigner for safe sex during the AIDS crisis:

Madonna is one of the major reasons for AIDS. Back in the 1980’s, she encouraged gay men to have unprotected sex. While she certainly didn’t start the disease, she and her lack of morals helped it spread.

Please rethink your choice of having Madonna as a presenter. If you don’t, we Little Monsters will strike back in a way you won’t like.

Sincerely,
Lady Gaga’s Little Monsters

Comments

1. Everyone, let us pause for a moment from the intense debate about Anderson and gay culture/subculture and remember: Lisa Rinna is now a spokesperson for Depends. Yup, Lisa Rinna.

If that doesn't make you feel old and help you realize that life is WAY too short to care how others live their life or think about the world (unless it directly harms you, of course), then nothing will. Just make sure you're doing whatever you're doing in a positive way and at least trying to make others' lives better, and when you're in Depends you'll look back and feel pretty good about everything.

Posted by: Thomas | Mar 5, 2013 1:48:58 PM

2. Gays often have a problem with more successful gays. No surprises there. I've encountered it many times. That's why my partner and I have so many more straight friends.

Posted by: Jerry | Mar 5, 2013 1:52:05 PM

3. Seriously? a post about an anti gay basher gets like 6 replies and a few commenting on how attractive that hetero straight basher is, yet any post with Anderson Cooper gets dozens of replies, most of which berating every sqaure inch of him. If someone of you all hate gay men so much, why not just go do through with the conversion therapy already and get the ex gay rolling? You don't have to be gay, and reminded of other gays who ARE indeed role models and WILL indeed be celebrated by the gay community.

Posted by: Chorus Banter | Mar 5, 2013 1:58:49 PM

4. LOVE you Anderson! Love your show and everything you do!
    Thrilled you're getting this well deserved award!

Posted by: Dave | Mar 5, 2013 1:59:14 PM

5. @SCOTT JOHANSEN

Did I bash anything? I was expressing a point of view to show how one might feel that way. You take an awful lot of liberties in your summation. I never once judged anyone for anything, nor did I condemn anyone. It seems to me that you are the condemning, judgmental and insecure individual. The mere notion that someone could exist outside of what you define as "gay" obviously threatens your existence and need to be defined as a person by what society determines. You have made some extremely incorrect, offensive and sweeping generalizations in your post. You are not qualified to do that.

What my post was in reference to (and you have proven my point) is that there are gay men/women who are completely confident and secure in themselves that just do not subscribe to what is defined as gay culture. Much like someone just not preferring green over blue, it is just about personal leanings. Has nothing to do with insecurity and judgement. The fact that you jump to that conclusion shows your insecurity to me.

You really have a limited understanding of what being gay is really about. I have plenty of respect for all individuals no matter what tastes they have. Not much respect for you, however.

Posted by: Joe | Mar 5, 2013 2:02:17 PM

6. A lot of the anti anderson cooper comments are coming from a bitter, old, angry at the world, jaded, rather nasty shark named UFFDA. If you do a search on UFFDA's commentary, it's laced in anti Anderson Cooper comments. UFFDA has in the past said he knows very few gay people and doesn't like to surround himself with gays. He also resents anderson for coming out because that makes him part of our gay community.
    Self hate is a mental disorder. UFFDA is that.

Posted by: NOT an FDA | Mar 5, 2013 2:03:04 PM

7. Lisa Rinna is more deserving of the Vito Russo award than Anderson Cooper.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Mar 5, 2013 2:03:44 PM

8. Lady Gaga, you might wanna tell your "little monsters" to STFU. I was there in the beginning of the AIDS crisis. Madonna was in the forefront of advocating safe-sex. She was in the forefront of supporting gay men during that very difficult era when not many others were speaking up or speaking out.

I hate know-nothing brats.

Posted by: jamal49 | Mar 5, 2013 2:07:53 PM

9. @Joe
    Actually, don't try to play martyr like your kind very carefully attempts to. This was your first sentence to Scott
    "I think people tend to bash what you call 'identifiably gay' as a reaction to being pigeon held." so yes, indeed you did start your narrative with a judgment. You want every gay person to be fixated on masculinity and hyper masculinity and a facade like you do. All to appease a heterosexual approved norm. We all won't. I know I won't. I'm fem, gay, happy and not apologizing to a single soul about it. Certainly not gay men who think now that they have one foot out the closet door, they can start preaching to other gays about what being a dignified gay person is. Spare us your masculinity lectures. The gay community is once and for all calling out the femmephobia in it. And don't think you'll get a free pass by going in a corner and playing victim.

Posted by: Jay | Mar 5, 2013 2:08:23 PM

10. Joe-
    Stop reminding everyone how you're not part of this subculture or that subculture. Stop defining what being gay is. Stop trying to school gay people on how they are misguided on what really being gay is. You're doing exactly what you claim you're a victim of. You think gay culture is fabricated and unneccessary, yet for some, they get great enjoyment out of that culture, movement, club, gay oriented event, and shouldn't have to sit and listen to an apologist like yourself tell them what being gay really means. And I absolutely agree with others. You sound incredibly insecure in your own self. Skin. Being. Otherwise, you wouldn't fixate so much on 'identifiable gays' and try to define them.
    Get a life.

Posted by: Duration & Convexity | Mar 5, 2013 2:11:52 PM

11. Giving the Vanguard award to Jennifer Aniston (or any other pro-gay celebrity) isn't a problem for me. And if they want to give a Vanguard award to AC I will be on-board. But the Vito Russo award is for being an 'openly out media personality' - and I just don't think AC's recent self-outing is sufficient to warrant the award.

Posted by: MikeBoston | Mar 5, 2013 2:12:17 PM

12. @ Jay

I'm actually what most would call a "fem gay." Nice try.

You really missed the point. Nothing to do with pleasing the hetero crowd. It's only about a broader understanding that gay culture should not be limited to anything. It really is not about masculinity.

Posted by: Joe | Mar 5, 2013 2:12:40 PM

13. Oh God. I'm so over some gay men having to remind us how 'not gay' they are. STFU and stick a dickk in your mouth already. No one gives a damn. Stop caring so much about your image and how you're perceived. Just be.

Posted by: Gastelien | Mar 5, 2013 2:13:01 PM

14. Joe: Instead of looking for validation, and people to represent you. Learn to represent yourself and not rely so much on finding others to be like you. That is a sure sign of insecurity.

Anderson Cooper knows he got it goin' on! You go silver fox.

Posted by: Real Talk | Mar 5, 2013 2:14:08 PM

15. @ GASTELIEN & REAL TALK

Last response as it seems any deviation from what you believe is cause for rage on this site. Clearly that deviation leads to calls of self hate and insecurity.

I never said how not gay I was. Not concerned about my image either. Which was my point. Meaning there are millions of gay individuals all with different interests and passions. That was my intention from the start. Does it bother when a co-worker female wants to go shopping with me as I would totally know whats hot? Yup. Not because I'm embarrassed, but because I am not a cartoon character. Would it bother me if we discussed a guy I was dating? Not at all. There is a difference. Being gay to me is probably the best thing in my life as it gives one a much greater insight into the human experience (not to get all new agey). It's not about validation, it is about a broader understanding.

Posted by: Joe | Mar 5, 2013 2:26:27 PM

16. I've watched Anderson bringing awareness about issues within the LGBT community on CNN for years in addition to his involvement with Elton John's AIDS charity and the $50,000 Jeopardy winnings he donated to The Trevor Project recently. Sounds to me that he deserves this honor from GLAAD.

Posted by: Zee | Mar 5, 2013 2:35:42 PM

17. Gaga needs to rein her fans in. Her Little Monsters have turned into Little A**holes.

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 5, 2013 2:42:32 PM

18. @ Joe
    STFU. No one gives a damn how you want to be defined as this diversified, non scenster gay man. NO ONE BUT YOU GIVES A SH-T. Trust me, and I say that respectfully. Guys like you with this irational fixation with how you are perceived by the public are so consumed with telling the world who you aren't, and which type of gay you aren't, that you aren't actually living your life...and worse, you're not letting the rest of us live ours. Be whatever person you want to be. You don't like shopping? cool. Say so. Stop making yourself a martyr because there happen to be many gay guys who may like shopping, and you saying you aren't one of them is this big dramatic issue in your life. No one cares. They don't. They don't care that you didn't go to whatever gay bar. Or that you didn't go to any gay parties. Or how normal you are. The frequency of guys like yourself highlighting how normal you are is coming off abnormal tot he rest of us.
    Just be, and live, and stop with all the observations.It's annoying.

Posted by: Carlos | Mar 5, 2013 2:51:54 PM

19. Carlos: Marry me! I don't even care what you look like and who you are. That was absolutely amazing.

Posted by: IonMovies | Mar 5, 2013 2:53:44 PM

20. @ Carlos
    Thank you for summing up what I didn't have the time and spunk for. lol.

Posted by: Scott Johansen | Mar 5, 2013 2:54:55 PM

21. Photo caption: "And Madonna's tits are like this big!"

Posted by: Dave J | Mar 5, 2013 2:57:07 PM

22. @ Carlos,
    that may have been one of my favorite posts I've read on here. For the cookie cutter gay crew who are so determined to tell us how they go against the gay grain; we're all sick of hearing about it. You want a gold medal for being different, and dire need to remind the world that you exist. Sooo tired.

@ Anderson Cooper
    He's done more in the past few years for gay rights than I'm willing to bet every commentator on this thread combined. Now what?

Posted by: Pixie | Mar 5, 2013 2:57:33 PM

23. @Joe
    I love to go shopping. I love trends, and would be considered femme. You said (verbatim) you don't like to be assumed to go shopping because you're not a cartoon character. Are you suggesting I am? see that's the thing with your ilk. You think your intentions are far more noble than they are when you're just as critical, catty and judgmental as the type of gay men you think you're so above.
    I'd rather go shopping, be myself, be a gay, smiling, strutting, shopping happy guy then live my life through the lens of others labeling other gay men.

Posted by: J.J. | Mar 5, 2013 3:01:07 PM

24. @Jack M. The site was started by the Gunther Parche of Madonna fans-Jamuel da Silva, who also started the 'Examiner' website. He stalks Gaga and her fans and has already had similar sites-one about Madonna's mother's death-pulled, not surprisingly for legal reasons.

Posted by: Molc | Mar 5, 2013 3:07:33 PM

25. I'm pleased to say we'll be asking Anderson to play himself in a short sequence in my upcoming movie. I love the guy!

Posted by: John Simpson | Mar 5, 2013 3:12:24 PM