Anderson Cooper | GLAAD | Madonna | News

Anderson Cooper Talks About GLAAD Award, Madonna: VIDEO

Glaad_anderson

As has been previously noted, Anderson Cooper will be receiving GLAAD's Vito Russo Award this year and Madonna is presenting it to him. Lisa Rinna made note of it on his daytime show today.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

In related news, a group of rabid Little Monsters is reportedly threatening GLAAD over its choice of presenter, making false claims about Madonna, who was a fierce campaigner for safe sex during the AIDS crisis:

Madonna is one of the major reasons for AIDS. Back in the 1980’s, she encouraged gay men to have unprotected sex. While she certainly didn’t start the disease, she and her lack of morals helped it spread.

Please rethink your choice of having Madonna as a presenter. If you don’t, we Little Monsters will strike back in a way you won’t like.

Sincerely,
Lady Gaga’s Little Monsters

Comments

1. Out of curiosity, did AC's show get un-cancelled? The only reason I ask is that months ago it was announced it was, but he's apparently still on. FWIW I have nothing against him, in fact I think his show has improved since he came out, become more honest and feels less evasive. Which is why I thought maybe they'd changed their minds.

And this "little monsters" BS is just another example of pre-teen Fan-dom, same as Justin Beiber, Twilight, etc etc. Whoever is their "hero" of the moment is THE ultimate and anyone or anything similar must be attacked. Just a bunch of ankle-biters swatting each other over the head with Tiger Beat magazines so far as I can tell. (And I say that as someone who has never liked Madonna.)

Posted by: Caliban | Mar 5, 2013 3:24:59 PM

2. Towleroad should be called the Anderson Cooper site. Barf.

Posted by: rise | Mar 5, 2013 3:49:59 PM

3. I love Anderson and Madonna!

Posted by: mikep | Mar 5, 2013 3:55:34 PM

4. Rise should go by his better known aliases, like Rick or Jason. What a troll. Barf.

Posted by: MateoM | Mar 5, 2013 4:25:12 PM

5. @Joe..."The reason some gays here passionately hate on Anderson and make snarky rmarks about him is because he's gay." LOL. No. I don't hate A/C because he is gay. I hate A/C because he is over exposed and really brings nothing new to the table.

Posted by: Ted | Mar 5, 2013 4:39:45 PM

6. with an album titled "MDMA", she certainly isn't doing anyone any favors, except herself

this blog stated earlier that she supported marriage equality. what did i miss??

Posted by: t | Mar 5, 2013 4:48:49 PM

7. I don't have strong feeling about Anderson either way, but I don't have cable so I only ever see him in these little clips.

But can we talk about how damn psycho Lady Gaga fans are? Seriously, why does she think it is a good idea to observe her fans attacking veteran artists and not tweet at them to knock it the hell off.

Posted by: testington | Mar 5, 2013 5:03:08 PM

8. Considering Gaga is such an advocate for anti-bullying, it is so ironic that her fans and supporters, from Elton John on down to her "little monsters", are some of the biggest bullies out there and will stop at nothing, including spreading outright lies, to try to damage someone else's credibility and career. Gaga needs to put her money where her mouth is and say that hey, bullying Madonna is just as wrong as straights bullying gays. If she doesn't, she's a hypocrite and deserves to be called such. I used to like her until her fans turned into "little liars and psychos". Back off the Queen, bitches...

Posted by: Graphicjack | Mar 5, 2013 5:29:11 PM

9. Anderson's award is well-deserved.
    One question: is there any woman in his life, from his mother to madonna to Kathy Griffin to Lisa Rinna, who hasn't had some scary surgery done on her face?

Posted by: keating | Mar 5, 2013 5:32:31 PM

10. Lisa Rina's earthworm lips are more scary than those Little Munsters.

Posted by: marks | Mar 5, 2013 5:49:52 PM

11. anderson soo deserves this! so proud to have him as a member of our community!

GO ANDERSON! GAYS SUPPORT YOU!

Posted by: J.J. | Mar 5, 2013 7:22:05 PM

12. @Joe; I really like Anderson Cooper and think that he is a great gay role model and deserves the award. You are of course entitled to your opinions. However, on this site, Little Kiwi and all his aliases and sycophants don't tolerate disagreement. Hope you realize that Scott Johnsen, 2Dads, Duration& Convexity, Real Talk, Carlos, JJ and others are all aliases or sychophants of the intollerant Kiwi. Don't let them or should I say him intimidate you.

Posted by: andrew | Mar 5, 2013 9:25:43 PM

13. I don't think that people are really bashing Cooper, so much as GLAAD, which has come to be viewed as more interested in kissing up to stars than actually fighting homophobia. To some degree that's just because the battles it used to fight so valiantly aginst casual homophobia really don't pop up as often.

And I sorta suspect the Gaga story is manufactured, though if you search Twitter for Madonna and AIDS, you'll find like a million posts from idiots (mostly in Portuguese and Spanish,) going on about how listening to Madonna gives you AIDS and how listening to Lady Gaga cures you of it.

Posted by: jd | Mar 6, 2013 12:41:12 AM

14. Who cares when Anderson came out. He is OUT and proud now and has a history of doing stories about GLBTs that helps brings visibility and more. CONGRATULATIONS ANDERSON! It's a well deserved award.

Posted by: FunMe | Mar 6, 2013 4:06:56 AM

15. Congrats to Anderson. You have, indeed, worked for everything you have. All the best, kiss that award for me...LOL As for the haters here and elsewhere, shove it. I am sick of it. Madonna was there in the freakin' FOREFRONT of the AIDS crisis...study history before taking up hate. I was literally flabbergasted when I heard of this. One may not like her, her music or anything else about her, but it simply CANNOT be said that she did anything anti-gay. I was there in the beginning. I remember. She was there for us. End of story, monsters. Go pick a REAL fight. Lay off, as you are pissing off a lot of "elder royalty". We get really bitchy when we are pissed. Remember, Hell hath no fury like a scorned "elder royalty".

Posted by: millerbeach | Mar 6, 2013 5:24:10 AM

16. if you dont' want to be "lumped in" , "pigeon-holed (held? really?)" or whatever you can simply do what every other Out person does: live Out.

you can't be assigned something that doesn't fit you. duh.

guys like "Joe" always pretend, and lie online, that "stereotypical gays are forcing me to be More Gay and telling me I'm Not Gay Enough" and blah blah blah.

not true. never happens. never will.

what he's actually saying is "I still worry about what Straight People think about me, and i listen to them when they mock and belittle gay stereotypes and i don't want them to include me in that mockery"

here's my advice: start living the way those gay men you think you have little in common with are living; namely, stop being such a wuss and caring so much what others think.

the madonna-loving twink doesn't give a f**k. neither should you.

nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission.

you can't blame out and proud gay men who enjoy being gay for your own refusal to check your own issues and do the same.

and Coop, rock on.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 6, 2013 2:22:57 PM

17. truth - the only gay people who are "defined by being gay" are the ones who still worry about "other people defining them by being gay"

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 6, 2013 2:24:38 PM

18. Anderson's whole life has been an award. Maybe they should give him some back issues of Muscle and Fitness. As for the Gaga crowd, Why are we fighting each other, There are a lot of heterosexuals out there who would like us eliminated. Gaga should stop this or she's responsible.

Posted by: Jake | Mar 6, 2013 8:04:59 PM