Facebook | Michigan | News | Republican Party

Michigan Republicans Call for Resignation of RNC Official Dave Agema Over Anti-Gay Facebook Post

Agema

More than 20 Michigan Republicans are calling for the resignation of Republican National Committeeman Dave Agema over an anti-gay update Agema made to Facebook, the Detroit Free Press reports:

2_agemaAgema’s posting Wednesday, during U.S. Supreme Court oral arguments regarding the legality of same-sex marriage, was based on an online article titled, “Everyone Should Know These Statistics on Homosexuals,” which appeared under the byline Frank Joseph, M.D.

The post depicts gays as sexually promiscuous, rife with sexually transmitted diseases and responsible for “half the murders in large cities.”

Said the group, in a statement: “This isn’t about what we believe either politically or as women and men of faith. This is about common decency and realizing that you cannot win an election by insulting a wide swath of the electorate, whose votes our Republican Party needs to once again form a national majority.”

Michigan Republican Party Chairman Bobby Schostak is also telling Agema to get out.

(via talking points memo)

Comments

1. He's a known pedophile. He has a public record of it.

Posted by: matti | Mar 28, 2013 2:32:08 PM

2. This is a very coordinated PR effort by the Republican Party...it may change the tone but I, for one, need to see policy changes.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Mar 28, 2013 2:37:24 PM

3. So, essentially, "This isn't about human rights. It's about winning elections."

Posted by: chris | Mar 28, 2013 2:40:13 PM

4. This guy is right. Thats how I turned gay. Homosexuality was SO popular in my school in a small super religous town in the south that eventually decided to try it for myself so that I could totally fit in to the community standards.

Posted by: Jerry | Mar 28, 2013 2:43:04 PM

5. What a horrible Facebook post. However, there was a very interesting quote: "'realizing that you cannot win an election by insulting a wide swath of the electorate, whose votes our Republican Party needs to once again form a national majority.'" They have finally realized this. Perhaps this is why Republicans have become a lot more open-minded since November 2012...they realize that their alliance with social conservatives is now hindering them.

Posted by: MuscleModelBlog.com | Mar 28, 2013 2:43:42 PM

6. Where does the linked article state that Michigan Republican Chair Schostak is telling Agema to get out, as this post alleges?

The statement from Agema appeared to be doing no such thing and instead only, as Chitown Kev noted, reaffirming the Party's support for discrimination but in a manner which is less likely to be politically damaging.

Posted by: Patric | Mar 28, 2013 2:45:04 PM

7. yeah. because the last thing anyone who cares about "the family" wants is for that kid who comes home and says "I'm a homosexual" is for their family to welcome him/her with love, hugs and acceptance.

this man is a vile bigot.

good on the michigan GOP for doing something. now if they could only find the orbs to call out the anti-gay prejudice from their more prominent "leaders"....

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 28, 2013 2:48:59 PM

8. Half the murders in U.S. cities? That's a new one.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 28, 2013 2:49:47 PM

9. Why Republicans Suck - Part 278

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Mar 28, 2013 2:50:03 PM

10. Oh, pleeeaze. This is Michigan we're talking about. There are more bigots per square inch in Michigan than anywhere else in the country...maybe the world. Agema fits right in.

Posted by: Keppler | Mar 28, 2013 2:50:18 PM

11. Michigan is the northernmost tip of the south. Glad I got out.

Posted by: kpo5 | Mar 28, 2013 2:51:50 PM

12. The group that published those "statistics" has long been recognized as a hate group (radical traditional Catholicism) by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

The list of "stats" as published by "truthinaction.org"

Posted by: AdamTh | Mar 28, 2013 2:52:45 PM

13. https://www.facebook.com/dagema

it's still on his wall: "the negative health effects of homosexuality"

send him a message or fifty.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 28, 2013 2:54:36 PM

14. I love the half the murders in major cities part. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA What will they think of next. Excuse me while I go murder a whole bunch of people while having promiscuous sex and spreading disease.

Posted by: AJ | Mar 28, 2013 2:59:26 PM

15. the hardest part about murdering lots of people is finding the right shoes to go with our killing outfits.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 28, 2013 3:06:12 PM

16. LOL@ "... is finding the right shoes to go with our killing outfits."

Yes, and I haven't pulled those stilettos out of my closet in years...and I thought I was totally "out".

And the Michigan lunatic is absolutely right. When I have a chance I intend to murder Rick and Old Lady David Hearne. If you knock off Old Lady Hearne you'll get her creations Tonnd and Tyler too.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 28, 2013 3:24:15 PM

17. I love when these Bible-thumping, cultish Christians use the word "indoctrinate" when referring to gays. If anyone indoctrinates children, they do.

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 28, 2013 3:53:36 PM

18. A Repig fop with a Peter Graves fetish should just keep quiet. He isn't the first blowhard to rant about gay promiscuity (of which he is undoubtedly deeply envious), and won't be the last. Meantime, we'll keep on living the good life and helping however we can.

Posted by: Onnyjay | Mar 28, 2013 4:32:41 PM

19. As far as I can see, filthy homosexuals are far more loving, tolerant and civilized than chrischuns.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Mar 28, 2013 4:55:37 PM

20. I grew up in Michigan (left when I was 20). It's not the same place. It was always conservative, but in a more rational way--almost like moderate Democrats are now (that how far right Democrats have gone). I just don't recognize the filth of mind that permeates Michigan society now. It's as if a poisonous cloud flew over the state and corroded it's brains.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Mar 28, 2013 5:59:17 PM

21. Derrick, darling, you can't kill me. I am the Alpha and the Omega.

Posted by: David Hearne | Mar 28, 2013 6:23:41 PM

22. What kid today comes out with the phrase "Mom, I think I'm homosexual"?

Posted by: Sylvatica | Mar 28, 2013 9:59:01 PM

23. I'm concerned that I might be homosexual. I've slept with men and seemed to enjoy it. I also seem to spend a lot of time on websites with gay themes.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 28, 2013 10:46:51 PM

24. Again that Damn Black Church strikes again! LOL!

Posted by: Chris DaChocolatebearcub | Mar 29, 2013 2:08:26 AM

25. TEA Party 2016 Prez ticket? Agema/Carson

(Surely by 2016 the Republicans & Tea Party will have parted ways)

Posted by: AdamTh | Mar 29, 2013 7:39:50 AM