Gay Slurs | Michelle Shocked | Music | News | San Francisco

BigGayDeal.com

Alt-Folk Singer Michelle Shocked Tells SF Audience 'God Hates Fags', Inspires Mass Walk-Out

Alt-folk singer Michelle Shocked is making headlines after reports she went on an anti-gay tirade during the second half of her show at San Francisco club Yoshi, Meow Online reports:

ShockedMichelle Shocked, known for living up to her surname, cleared out San Francisco club Yoshi’s last night, and shut down the venue, after she went on an anti-gay tirade, which she summed up by saying, ”You can go on Twitter and say ‘Michelle Shocked says God hates fags.’”

...

Matt Penfield, onstage live-tweeting the performance for Shocked was, well, shocked.

“Eerie foreshadowing at Michelle Shocked show,” Penfield said. “before the show she talked about how ‘people seem like your friends then they turn on you.’”

Her first set was “all cool. 2nd set, she got up went full hate speech,” he tweeted.

Shocked's Facebook page describes her as "your average anarchist skateboard punk rock born again Christian."

Last night she tweeted: "Truth is leading to painful confrontation #shortsharpshocked".

Video of the incident has yet to appear online.

Comments

1. Actually she hardly has a career. This is basically her saying, I'm insane. Yoshi's isn't even the most liberal place, and they wouldn't put up with this crap. She's over.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 18, 2013 7:39:02 PM

2. If it weren't for this news report, I would've spent my entire life never having heard of this idiot. She's irrelevant, why would anyone pay attention to her crazy ass?

Posted by: Norma | Mar 18, 2013 7:51:23 PM

3. I used to really love her music, and I'm sure lots of other lesbians my age did, too. Feels like a slap to the face coming from someone you thought least likely to do so.

Posted by: Shelly | Mar 18, 2013 7:53:46 PM

4. Michelle plus Victoria Jackson = krazy kristian kooks. Failures both of 'em.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Mar 18, 2013 8:21:51 PM

5. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept of a born again Christian anarchist.

Posted by: Brian Floyd | Mar 18, 2013 8:29:10 PM

6. Sometimes lesbians who dislike men, gay or otherwise, use "fag" to refer to gay men.

This could be such a case.

Anyways, it's not intriguing, interesting, or shocking performance art.

It's Michael Richards, and look how well he's doing - too bad she doesn't have his residuals.

My advice to her would be to check in somewhere - attend some rehabilitation classes and then get back to whoever can stand her - not me.

Posted by: Notshockedbutappalled | Mar 18, 2013 8:30:25 PM

7. Apparently she's been a born-again Christian (ie holier-than-thou bigot) for awhile now. Sounds like she committed career suicide onstage intentionally. Spreading more of that Christianista love to the masses.

Posted by: stranded | Mar 18, 2013 8:49:48 PM

8. This breaks my heart. I think her 1988 album Short Sharp Shocked is perfect, every song is perfect. I saw her at Bumbershoot in Seattle in 2002 and left at intermission. I've heard that she's had on-stage meltdowns before, but this? I just feel like I need to throw the CD away and totally forget about her.

And, yes, her album Captain Swing has several songs that are delightful girl-on-girl love songs.

My heart is broken. As many of the other commenters have noted, she needs some help. I hope she can find some peace.

Posted by: pParkerT | Mar 18, 2013 8:51:39 PM

9. Is that how the entertainment industry work now? If you can't hack it, just spout some anti gay remark to get the attention of the media even if you are a nobody no talent to begin with?

Posted by: bambinoitalianoba | Mar 18, 2013 9:00:23 PM

10. Just read the wikipedia page about her. This seems like a sad case of self-loathing. It's more sad than maddening. She's going to have to deal with this blowback and then make a new life for herself after having burned all these bridges with one tragic 5 minutes of her life.

Posted by: me | Mar 18, 2013 9:12:33 PM

11. who?

Posted by: unokhan | Mar 18, 2013 9:20:49 PM

12. But if she'd swept into a tirade about the Pope....?

Posted by: gregorybrown | Mar 18, 2013 9:24:17 PM

13. Countdown to NOM enlisting her as their victim du jour

Posted by: SammySeattle | Mar 18, 2013 9:25:11 PM

14. Never heard of this woman- but talk about destroying your career well at least with the gay audience- she can now got and sing about Jesus...

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 18, 2013 9:36:38 PM

15. Ever noticed how many "born again" Christians have a history of substance abuse?

Only someone with brain damage would believe such nonsense.

Posted by: Brain | Mar 18, 2013 9:37:19 PM

16. Someone on Joe My God said that she was diagnosed with schizophrenia about a year ago. If that's true then this is another sad case of mental illness being misunderstood and met with anger and vitriol instead of compassion and proper mental health services.

If it's not true then all of the comments are deserved. I'm holding out judgment until I get more information.

Unfortunately religious fundamentalism is sometimes indistinguishable from mental illness.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Mar 18, 2013 9:42:56 PM

17. TOWLEROAD CHECK OUT DAVID GUETTA VIDEO TITLED "#VEVOCertified, Pt. 3: David Guetta On The Birth Of EDM" ON YOUTUBE,HERE ONE OF THE BIGGEST DJ SAYS THE GAY CLUBS WERE WHERE THE SOUND THAT IS TAKING OVER THE CHARTS CAME FROM,COOL STORY TO RUN... forgive the caps

Posted by: Sal | Mar 18, 2013 9:43:13 PM

18. I have been in touch with 8 of the 11 venues on the rest of her tour. 5 have confirmed that the concert is canceled and I expect that a 6th will cancel soon. Of the other two, have emailed one, and will try to reach the other two. Basically her whole US tour is going down in flames.

Posted by: psusfca | Mar 18, 2013 10:01:01 PM

19. And WHO is this???

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Mar 18, 2013 10:05:16 PM

20. I hear there are some openings in the Westboro Baptist Church, she could look into :-/

Posted by: ed mcan | Mar 18, 2013 10:27:39 PM

21. I have maybe 5 of her CDs and live in SF. Guess I should crack em and send them to her.

Posted by: Terry | Mar 18, 2013 10:52:48 PM

22. Who the f&ck is she? Why should anybody care what she thinks? For those who care, the apology will probably be coming in a day or two.

Posted by: andrew | Mar 18, 2013 10:56:17 PM

23. She was a #1 (I believe) on MTV back in the day with "The Greener Side" and her song "Anchorage" is simply amazing and fun. So sad that she's gotten to this place, whatever the reason.

Posted by: David R. | Mar 18, 2013 11:08:14 PM

24. Have patience, she looks like a troubled woman, the incident was more like a meltdown type; breath and let the gas pass, have mercy for the btch

Posted by: MArk | Mar 18, 2013 11:21:11 PM

25. That was clever. We all know how much born agains love folk music sung by women that look somewhat androgynous. I'm sure this will be great for her career. Also, I'm being completely sarcastic.

Posted by: AJ | Mar 18, 2013 11:55:02 PM