Anderson Cooper | GLAAD | Madonna | News

BigGayDeal.com

Anderson Cooper Accepts Vito Russo Honor at GLAAD Awards: VIDEO

Ac_madonna

Anderson Cooper thanked not only presenter Madonna and sponsor GLAAD but also the many known and unknown LGBT activists who have come before him as he accepted the Vito Russo Award at the GLAAD Media Awards last night.

The award, named for the groundbreaking gay author behind The Celluloid Closet, is given to someone whose work and life are dedicated to breaking barriers and making life easier for the rest of the LGBT communities. Cooper, of course, knows he couldn't have done it alone. Nor is our job done: the fight continues to make sure these people's stories are told.

Watch video of Cooper's comments, AFTER THE JUMP...

Here, an excerpt from the ever-humble journalist's speech, in which he again says that being gay is his greatest blessing.

As a gay person, it's important for me to remember that all of us come from a community whose stories have for too long been forgotten and ignored, a community whose lives have for too long been ridiculed or misrepresented, a community that in spite of all that has found ways to love and to laugh and to care about one another, a community that has found ways to stand tall and stand up and make ourselves visible.

I know that I'm only able to be on this stage because of generations of gay people who have come before and some of their names are known, but so many have lived and died in silence… There lives never even acknowledged, their love hidden in the shadows, hands furtively held in the dark…

I've had many blessings in my life and being gay is certainly one of the greatest blessings. It has allowed me to love and be loved; it has allowed me to open my head and open my heart in ways that I never could have predicted. The ability to love one another, The ability to love another person is one of God's greatest gifts and I thank God every day for enabling me to give and share love with people in my life, with my family, my friends, and my partner Benjamin.

Watch video of Cooper's comments, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Anderson, I adore you. You're such an inspiration. This was absolutely poignant, humble and beautiful. I love your way with words, your class and your humanity. Thank you. Well-deserved.

Posted by: Marc | Mar 18, 2013 12:20:25 AM

2. what happened to Ben playing tongue hockey with another guy just a few weeks ago?

Posted by: ben | Mar 18, 2013 12:35:00 AM

3. Kinda late to the dance. I think maddow has relentlessly reported on gay issues, and that lemon and Roberts came out in riskier times

Posted by: rick scatorum | Mar 18, 2013 3:20:36 AM

4. And really, a scout uniform? Not about u honey

Posted by: rick scatorum | Mar 18, 2013 3:22:18 AM

5. I don't know what was up with those photos of Ben and non-AC dude, maybe they were taken long before they ever met but whatever the story, they apparently had no effect on the stability of their relationship.

Posted by: Monty | Mar 18, 2013 3:27:26 AM

6. The pics were posted on-line last August, 2012. It allegedly took place in Central Park. Who knows, who cares, maybe he's the filling of the Anderson/Ben sandwich. Sorry, it seems to me Anderson spent a lot of time and energy trying to deny his sexuality...so he comes out, and less than a year later, he gets this award? Wow...I never knew it was so easy to get an award. Hey, I came out in 1987, where's my award? LOL

Posted by: millerbeach | Mar 18, 2013 4:52:32 AM

7. weird Andy butching it up with Madge.

Posted by: Cd in Dc | Mar 18, 2013 10:27:56 AM

8. The photo is heartwarming, The Silver Fox smiling at Madge, a gay icon.
    But this is typical of the Hollywood set, kissing each others' asses to promote their own places in the hierarchy.
    And the proles are buying it, as usual. It's why we have incompetent leadership, because we're to obsessed with looks and popularity to recognize brains and competence.

Posted by: Wilberforce | Mar 18, 2013 1:48:22 PM

9. My God:!!!!
    What a class act, thank you for all you do and what you say Anderson.

You make us all ever so proud!

Posted by: EJC | Mar 18, 2013 4:58:48 PM

10. Why award Anderson Cooper? His life has been an award.

Posted by: TJ | Mar 18, 2013 8:59:55 PM

11. Now hit one out of the park. Get Seacrest to come out.

Posted by: Will | Mar 18, 2013 10:13:48 PM