Brian Sims | Chris Matthews | News | Pennsylvania

Brian Sims Talks Gay Rights Movement With Chris Matthews

Briansims
On his program this week, Chris Matthews discussed the recent swift rise of the LGBT civil rights movement with MSNBC contributor Joy Reid and openly gay Pennsylvania Representative Brian Sims.  civil rights - acceptance in african american community

In this segment, Reid explains the progressive shift of opinion in the African-American community and Sims talks about how he felt the authenticity and honesty he offered about his identity helped him win his seat in office last year.

Watch the clip, in which Matthews suggests that Sims might one day be governor of his state, AFTER THE JUMP.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. I am LIKING that Joy Reid!

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Mar 30, 2013 4:40:59 PM

2. A gay bear cub governor of Pennsylvania? I hope he goes to leather pig night at the Pittsburgh Eagle too. I just hope my father lives to see this. It will kill him.

Posted by: BearlyBob | Mar 30, 2013 5:11:49 PM

3. Despite what he wants you to believe, Chris Matthews is not a big gay supporter and never has been. Like so many running to jump on the bandwagon, that is exactly what Matthews is doing here. And its about time.

I certainly like Brian Sims and I do hope he goes on to be Governor.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 30, 2013 5:14:54 PM

4. The beard is a new addition for Brian Sims. He looks great with it.

Posted by: Chadd | Mar 30, 2013 5:19:34 PM

5. OK, on a purely superficial level, aside from his outstanding leadership qualities? Brian Sims is freakin' sex on a stick. WOOF!!

Posted by: Dback | Mar 30, 2013 5:22:10 PM

6. This Brian Sims was a dreamy sans facial hair. But with! Grrrrr, he just jumped into Tasty Treat Williams territory.

Posted by: Bollux | Mar 30, 2013 6:15:05 PM

7. Brian Sims makes Ben Cohen look like a pile of puke. Yeah, he's THAT hot. Holy cow, that is one good looking man... and I guess he does some political thing of some sort too ;-)

Posted by: David in Houston | Mar 30, 2013 6:26:34 PM

8. oh-h-h-h Brian.phew.Can't help it, but he's hot and got my vote!

Posted by: tinhouston | Mar 30, 2013 6:36:06 PM

9. Yes, Brian Sims is HOT, but NO ONE makes Ben Cohen look like anything but awesome.

Posted by: Cal | Mar 30, 2013 7:08:01 PM

10. Joy Reid hit the nail on the head. If people are aware of gay people around them, then they are much more likely to be open-minded.

Posted by: MuscleModelBlog.com | Mar 30, 2013 7:10:20 PM

11. Yay for gay Congressmen, but I can't believe Pennsylvania voters get this dude, and I get Jerry Nadler.

Posted by: tim b | Mar 30, 2013 7:25:57 PM

12. Great interview, I find that Chris is always fair with gay guests, he is not homophobic. Brian is very cute, but why do guys say Woof!! Are we dogs now? Do bears make dog noises that we don't know about?

Posted by: ty | Mar 30, 2013 7:56:42 PM

13. Sims is a state representative, not a federal representative.

Matthews noted that Sims' district is most of Centre City Philadelphia.

Pennsylvania has another openly gay state legislator -- a Republican from rural Huntington County (south of State College, east of Altoona.) If that legislator can hold on to his seat, then change might come to the Keystone State

Posted by: ShadowChaser | Mar 30, 2013 8:04:14 PM

14. Yum, bear meat.

Posted by: Bubba | Mar 30, 2013 8:08:17 PM

15. Philadelphia used to be a nice place. Detroit, Philadelphia, Washington, Atlanta... the list of ruined cities goes on.

Posted by: David Hearne | Mar 30, 2013 9:33:49 PM

16. Mike I well remember when Chris Matthews was far from a gay supporter. But he's on board now, and what they were talking aout on the show is why. Our greatst power is being out. Back in the day the closet ket us an unspeakable "other" that no one knew. Now the dam has burst and GBT is out everywhere.The result? We can't be ignored.

And speaking of "can't be ignored" the indescribably Babe-a-licious Brian Sims!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 30, 2013 10:25:05 PM

17. I disagree that Chris Matthews has been just coming on board on LGBT issues. During the Democratic Convention as he was leaving the MSNBC set stage he signed a book, as I passed him our Democratic Party of Oregon LGBT Caucus sticker to keep he signed it and handed it back saying I've always been for you guys.He has fairly covered LGBT issues and especially Marriage Equality keeping the conversation going. Brian Sims was awesome in covering events,

Posted by: Jim Freed | Mar 30, 2013 10:51:52 PM

18. That is one sexy politician. I would lobby his hot ass into the ground!

Chris Matthews needs to be put out to pasture. They should give his time-slot to Joy.

Posted by: FFS | Mar 30, 2013 11:40:06 PM

19. Brain and his sexy beard can govern my state anytime!

Posted by: Firestorm | Mar 31, 2013 3:59:23 AM

20. Pa is so backward, a desert between Md and the northeast, and yet so many gays. We really need more of us to be open and active.

Posted by: rick scatorum | Mar 31, 2013 5:55:00 AM

21. Chris should interview former Rep Babette Josephs, a life long supporter and friend of the LGBT community,who happens to be straight, that Sims, the former treasurer of her previous campaign, stabbed in the back in his opportunistic goal of getting a seat in the Pa State House.

Posted by: andrew | Mar 31, 2013 10:17:32 AM

22. Hey Andrew, ever Rep. Josephs herself gave up on that tired campaign line because it simply wasn't true. The guy wa sa volunteer for her for a campaign in which she accused her bisexual opponent of making up his sexuality in order to get votes. Yeah, if I'd been volunteering for her I would have consider running against her too. And the proof is in the pudding. In 3.5 months he's already done more than she did in the last 3.5 years, maybe the last 35!

Posted by: SouthPhillyChick | Mar 31, 2013 2:38:30 PM

23. I would really, really like to play hardball with Brian Sims if you know what I mean. What a hunk. Wow.

Posted by: James | Mar 31, 2013 3:28:53 PM

24. @Southphillychick: Why didn't Sims choose another Pa House District to run in, where he might have defeated a Representative less friendly to the LGBT Community than Josephs, our most loyal supporter in the State House?

Posted by: andrew | Mar 31, 2013 7:40:53 PM

25. Oh dear Jesus, this guy is HOT. Is he single?

Posted by: bravo | Mar 31, 2013 8:27:25 PM