Boy Scouts | Chipotle | Discrimination | News

Chipotle Cancels Sponsorship of Boy Scouts Event

Chipotle

Chipotle has canceled its sponsorship of a Boy Scouts Event in Utah.

Think Progress reports:

In an email, company spokesman Chris Arnold wrote:

By way of follow up, we have terminated our sponsorship of this event.

As I mentioned yesterday, community support decisions like this are made in a decentralized way and this one was inconsistent with our own policy. We believed that terminating the sponsorship and remaining consistent with our policy was the right thing to do, and we have reinforced our policy with the team that makes these decisions to try to prevent similar issues in the future.

Earlier...
Chipotle Does Not Support Companies That Discriminate Against Gays Unless They Are the Boy Scouts [tlrd]

Comments

1. Gosh yes let's feel sorry for Chipotle. It's not a massive corporation or anything.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 19, 2013 1:50:08 PM

2. Is anyone else a little concerned about this kind of stuff? I understand pressuring organizations to stop financial funding of the National Boy Scouts, but it is my understanding that this was sponsorship by providing food to scouts. Regardless, the attitudes of the National Board have little to do with the actual children involved in scouting, and they seem to be the only ones affected by this.
    So we have succeeded in getting the food removed from a scouting event...what did that accomplish other than a little more animus towards us. Whatever our targets we should try to be more certain that there are no children in the crossfire. Right now, you have a pack of scouts, without a food sponsor, and no one to blame but those nasty gay people..and those scouts grow up to be the politicians, preachers, business men, and others who fight against our rights daily. I don't think a little good will would have hurt here, and I think efforts should be focused on the national organization,not actual scout meetings or jamborees.

Posted by: Chris | Mar 19, 2013 2:09:50 PM

3. Well, it's all wieners and buns for the Boy Scouts this year. I guess some things never change.

Posted by: parkrunner | Mar 19, 2013 2:12:41 PM

4. Chris - on cry me a river. The scouts won't go hungry you know.

Worse case scenario - their parents will have to prepare a packed lunch for them.

Until the BSA reverse their homophobic positions it is not a safe organisation for any child to be a member of.

Posted by: MaryM | Mar 19, 2013 2:19:19 PM

5. Chris -- This is important because as society moves forward, but the unfortunate strain of bigotry in Boy Scout doctrine locks them in the past, bit by bit they are left to stand alone. It begins to transform their perception by the public from an organization of integrity to an anachronism in need of an ethical update. And at the point where they are no longer admired for the qualities they represent, they will finally, hopefully, feel the pressure to change.

Posted by: Linda | Mar 19, 2013 2:57:08 PM

6. Let's be clear here. Scouts Canada and many other scouting organisations around the world, members of the WOSM (World Organization of the Scout Movement) do not prohibit gay people from becoming members of their organizations. So it seems that the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) hides behind the "doctrine" and continues discriminating in terms of sexual orientation and membership. I certainly hope that the BSA sees the light and changes this ridiculous policy. I think the writing is on the wall.

Posted by: excy | Mar 19, 2013 3:38:09 PM

7. Unless I missed something I don't know that anyone bullied Chipotle to changed their mind. I haven't seen anything that has requested a boycott of them. I think someone made the decision to cater this event when it not in the best interest of the company. I have heard the head of the company is gay and I would imagine that might have something to do with their policy.

And if someone bullied them, then what is the difference between that and what the Million Moms doing with JC Penney's or some of the other companies they're boycotting? Or NOM and their boycotts? Is it only the straights that can boycott?

Posted by: macmantoo | Mar 19, 2013 4:55:56 PM

8. Maybe Chipotle and the musicians who refused to play at a BSA event will put enough pressure on the BSA that they will change their policy. Let's wait and see...

Posted by: MuscleModelBlog.com | Mar 19, 2013 6:23:39 PM

9. Yeah, I am heading over in 10 min. for the burrito bowl. I'll order a side of guacamole with it which I don't usually do, just so they get a little extra business out of me today.

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 19, 2013 7:19:37 PM

10. OH NOES! Poor Chipotle was bullied by the mean old gays! Elton John stuck Chipotle's head in the toilet while Anderson Cooper gave it a wedgie! Won't somebody please think of the corporations?

Posted by: Firestorm | Mar 19, 2013 7:19:40 PM

11. So what if Chik-Fil-A does step in and sponsor this event? Let them. Let them continue to send the message that they support discrimination. Let the bible beaters eat there every day if they want. The public by and large is with us- just remember, the way they thought all the hate mongering would win them the US presidency! The important thing for me personally is that my hard earned cash is not helping a company support causes that I am against. If others want to support hate, I can not help that- but my dollars will not go to the hate mongering Boy Scouts, Chik-Fil-A, NOM, or anyone else that thinks I am a second class citizen! Oh- former cub and boy scout here!

Posted by: Doug | Mar 20, 2013 10:33:37 AM

12. I just sent Chipotle a thank you email as well. It's very easy to do here: http://www.chipotle.com/en-US/talk_to_us/general_comments/general_comments.aspx
    Please let them know you appreciate their stand with LGBTQ community against discrimination. I haven't shopped at a Target since 2010 or eaten at a Chik-fil-A in...forever...

Posted by: LouisvilleKB | Mar 20, 2013 11:12:47 AM

13. It is so good to stand up to homophobia but the kids are loosing this game because less money and support for the Boy Scouts means less opportunities for these boys. I was a Boy Scout and it was such a wonderful part of my childhood...

Posted by: bostonbeat | Mar 20, 2013 4:51:30 PM