James Franco | News | Stephen Colbert

BigGayDeal.com

James Franco Talks to Stephen Colbert About the Mysteries of His Persona: VIDEO

James_franco

And how they relate to the Wizard of Oz:

"He's a renaissance man. You're a renaissance man. Are you also a fraud?"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. @Caliban: I don't understand your reservations about Franco. Gay characters have always been underrepresented in Hollywood films, and he understands how a gay orientation can add originality and depth and more facets to a character and to a story.
    He also understands discrimination and wants our stories to be told.

Far from "insisting" that he is not gay, he has always shrugged off such questions. He gets the fact that people need to stop this madness of insisting (or even litigating over) maintaining heterosexual privilege in the industry.

As a gay WASP-background guy myself, I understand and have used that tactic myself on occasion. When someone made a Holocaust joke at a party, I didn't give him the relief of knowing I'm not Jewish. When the idiot saw the look on my face and said "You're not Jewish, are you?" I answered, "Well of course I could be."
    Likewise when a co-worker made a racist crack against native Americans. When he suddenly got worried about my reaction and asked, "I hope you aren't part Indian, are you?" I wasn't about to reassure him by saying no. I said maybe I am, and then he started stuttering and backtracking about how it's just MOST of the tribes that are stupid and he was sure my tribe was one of the "more intelligent ones."

I really appreciate it, too, when straight people (James Franco included) DON'T go out of their way to prove how NOT gay they are.

When more straight men "get" gay issues and appreciate our value in the world like James Franco does, the world will be a far better place for gay people.

Posted by: GregV | Mar 6, 2013 10:18:16 PM

2. It is quite pathetic how far people will go to defend their "White Male Celebrity of the day". Yes, Rick and Gregv, his behavior is unacceptable. He is reappropriating LGBT identities, the history, the struggles and the overall culture that binds us together. He is not just "interested" in it, he is fetishizing it and trying to make it his own to further his own narcissistic agenda.

Don't defend the indefensible.

Posted by: Morty | Mar 7, 2013 1:45:08 AM

3. love them both

Posted by: alex | Mar 7, 2013 5:10:28 AM

4. "I think it's awesome if more and more people or artists are doing gay-themed or touches on gay-subjects."

Here's my main complaint: Why can't gay people portray gay roles? Gay actors get passed over for roles they relate to and know, but if a "straight" actor portrays a gay character they win awards. If Brokeback starred two gay actors would it have been recognized? Methinks not.

Posted by: … | Mar 7, 2013 8:21:38 AM

5. Mr Franco needs a better fitting suit.

Posted by: Max | Mar 7, 2013 1:55:24 PM

6. Heaven help the Colbert if he ever has a Tolkien throw down with me, although this one was great.

Posted by: Wilberforce | Mar 7, 2013 10:42:27 PM

7. I want him. I want him badly.

Posted by: James | Mar 8, 2013 12:37:34 AM

8. @...: No, if Ang Lee had pigeon-holed two gay actors into the roles BECAUSE they are gay instead of because they were the best two for the roles among all who auditioned, then Brokeback would likely have been substandard and would not have won awards.

Likewise if How I Met Your Mother or White Collar or Big Bang Theory had turned down their leading actors because some nosy-body in casting asked everyone's orientation at the auditions and crossed gay and bi actors off the list: Without the best actors for the roles, they might not have had the magic formula that made the shows successful. If The Wizard of Oz's casting director had searched far and wide for an actress who had been raised by an uncle and aunt and had experienced the trauma of a tornado, maybe it would have been a flop, too.

There are thousands of traits and experiences that make up the whole of an actor's life experience. The important thing is that they can bring the character to life, not that they be the character in real life. That's why it's called acting.

Posted by: GregV | Mar 8, 2013 11:53:15 AM