GOP Congressman With Gay Son Won't Support Marriage Equality

MattsalmonRepublican Arizona congressman Matt Salmon and GOP Ohio Senator Rob Portman both have one thing in common: an openly gay son. But they differ in their views on marriage equality. As you know, one time anti-same-sex marriage advocate Portman reversed his opinion after his son revealed he was gay. Salmon, however, has not.

In an interview with Arizona's 3TV, Salmon says this about his gay son and marriage equality: "I don't support the gay marriage...My son is by far one of the most important people in my life. I love him more than I can say.”

He adds, “I’m just not there as far as believing in my heart that we should change 2,000 years of social policy in favor of a redefinition of the family. I'm not there. ”

And how does he feels about Portman's recent change of heart? "I haven't evolved to that stage and Rob Portman apparently has."

Let's hope Salmon gets to that stage very soon.

Watch the interview, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. At least he sticks to his convictions, even if they are illogical and discriminatory.

Someone should not only support the equality of others just because it effects him personally.

Posted by: Blake | Mar 31, 2013 6:21:10 AM

2. Again putting the R-AZ in "crazy"

Posted by: Steve | Mar 31, 2013 6:55:05 AM

3. The last "Portman" in the first paragraph ("Portman, however, has not.") should be a "Salmon".

Posted by: Vint | Mar 31, 2013 6:58:43 AM

4. When are all these 'committed supporters' of 'traditional' marriage going to read a bit of history about the institution? I'm so fed up with people talking about messing with 2,000 years of tradition. 2,000 years ago, in the Holy Land, polygamy was common and wives were considered chattel. Romantic love, and monogamy by men, were unknown concepts.

Posted by: Rodney Proctor (@rpwpb) | Mar 31, 2013 7:00:44 AM

5. Salmon knows that his career in Az politics is d-e-a-d- should he have a Portman-like conversion. In fact he might have to fear for his life. Salmon's kid, like Phyllis Shafley's, doesn't matter to their respective parent. In fact the kids are probably being financially suported by their parents' homophobic career-lifestyle choices.

Posted by: mikeflower | Mar 31, 2013 7:29:42 AM

6. "I love him more than I can say" but I love my bigotry more than him. Fixed.

Posted by: Peter M. | Mar 31, 2013 7:32:46 AM

7. Rodney:
    I blame the education system. They not only should have prayer in school, they should introduce compulsory Bible class. Salmon may not have read a real history book. At least he should know what the Bible is about.

Posted by: simon | Mar 31, 2013 7:37:17 AM

8. Blake: Yes, that's much better than what Portman did. Stick by your wrong ideas no matter is you hurt someone you love.

If he didn't mind hurt his son, there's no chance he change his mind, because what he is thinking is his voters.

Sorry, but i find the Pormant's bashing and Salmon's praising one of the most ridiculous things that i read in a good time

Posted by: jjose712 | Mar 31, 2013 7:47:46 AM

9. well IF he were my dad - this would obviously Tell Me - that he loves his Job more then Me....F Him and his "evolving".......god I hate the GOP

Posted by: disgusted american | Mar 31, 2013 8:33:06 AM

10. "My son is by far one of the most important people in my life. I love him more than I can say.”

"One" and certainly far from the first, as he's just said precisely how much "more" that he can say -- Zero.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 31, 2013 8:44:19 AM

11. Fabulous!

GoProud, or The "My Father Loves Me But Thinks I Shouldn't Get Married" Club, is always needing some fresh talent.

Posted by: kp05 | Mar 31, 2013 8:49:07 AM

12. This man is simply ignorant of the history of marriage and is allowing his ignorance to injure his son. It is hard to believe that he considers his son that important if he is willing to support discrimination against him. Ignorance is not 'bliss' -- ignorance is a birch!

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Mar 31, 2013 9:02:53 AM

13. Uh, did Salmon go into politics to represent the people of his district or his religious beliefs? Apparently he's there to promote his "faith" and not sound policy to benefit the people.

And while I'm glad that Rob Portman has come around on the issue, it still sticks in my craw a little that he only gave the issue serious thought when it effected HIM. Yes, having a family member or friend come out is how many people change their minds about gay rights, but Rob Portman isn't some Joe Schmoe off the street, he's an elected official who is supposed to represent all the people of his district and have THEIR interests at heart, not just his own.

Posted by: Caliban | Mar 31, 2013 9:05:20 AM

14. An article about the gay son linked below. I feel sorry for him, with a pair of nasty homophobes for parents.

Posted by: homer | Mar 31, 2013 9:37:36 AM

15. I too am getting sick of hearing the wrong/ mistaken/ false assertions that marriage has always been between a man and a woman.

There have been well known historical examples of male marriages, whether called couples or partners or brothers, as a descriptive term.

The Greek examples are the most obvious; all of the male in the Sacred Band of Thebes swore love and loyalty to each other as the joined the Band and this was done at a sacred place in Thebes.
    The 250 of the Sacred band were all married in this way; all of them fought for each other before being wiped out at Charonae in 323 BC ( date ?) by Philip of Macadon and his gay son Alexander, who also had his male mate.
    BTW, the bodies of those sacred Band were excavated at the site and found laid out in formation, an unheard of honour bestowed by their enemies.
    Suggesting that marriage was the prerogative of the Christians is simply false.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 31, 2013 9:45:11 AM

16. And the "Ladies of LLangollan", Sarah Ponsenby and Elanor Butler, they also were married and lived all their lives in south Wales having fled their families in Ireland.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 31, 2013 9:50:15 AM

17. How sad it is when a "father" chooses ancient myths and bigotry over his own son. "I haven't evolved to that stage." Can we get a YET?

Posted by: andrew | Mar 31, 2013 10:11:19 AM

18. Salmon is a hypocrite, a horrible father, an ignorant Constitutionalist, and a soulless congressperson.
    He claims to support "family values," yet he turned his back on his own son.
    From his official website: "Our nation's founders understood the importance of planting the ideals of life, liberty and justice in our Constitution and in our culture." Apparently, Salmon doesn't understand those ideals. If he did, he wouldn't deny his son the right to attain them.

Posted by: ohbear1957 | Mar 31, 2013 10:24:12 AM

19. Ugh he reminds me of my ignorant, Republican [oops, is that redundant?] father

Posted by: Ted | Mar 31, 2013 10:29:10 AM

20. Worst Father of the Year

Posted by: Taxpayer | Mar 31, 2013 10:34:27 AM

21. He gets too many perks from selling out the American Taxpayer to his campaign donors, he would never let family get in the way of that.

Posted by: Cam | Mar 31, 2013 10:35:49 AM

22. Of course he hasn't evolved, he's a republican! And where's little kiwi with his comment about the children?

Posted by: Will | Mar 31, 2013 11:12:30 AM

23. If I had a son I would be out burning down the churches/legislation houses/temples of bigots for him and for his right to equality

My love for him would not be subject to false self satisfied positions that I think people/constituents want to hear.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 31, 2013 11:12:40 AM

24. It should be noted his son use to date Kent Flake,cousin of U.S. Senator Jeff Flake,who voted to repeal DADT but also thinks DOMA should be upheld.
    All due respect to Harvey Milk and others,coming out in many cases still has very serious consquences.
    Both of these men were forced into therapy,as sadly many of our youth still are.
    For some people,they will believe being gay is a sin,and nothing,NOTHING will change that.

Posted by: Kevin | Mar 31, 2013 11:27:17 AM

25. redefinition of family? A family is not something that can be defined, every single family is unique and there has never nor will ever be a universal definition as to what constitutes a family

Posted by: lukefromcanada | Mar 31, 2013 11:32:07 AM