BigGayDeal.com

Here's Audio of Michelle Shocked's Anti-Gay Rant: LISTEN

It starts at 4:37.

2_shockedSays Shocked:

"So it’s not too late. You can jump into this Jesus gang anytime you want. But, um, I was in a prayer meeting yesterday, and you’ve gotta appreciate how scared, how scared folks on that side of the equation are. I mean, from their vantage point — and I really shouldn’t say ‘their,’ because it’s mine, too — we are nearly at the end of time. And from our vantage point, we’re gonna be, uhhh, I think maybe Chinese water torture is gonna be the means, the method — once Prop 8 gets, uh, instated, and once, um, preachers are held at gunpoint and forced to marry the homosexuals, I’m pretty sure that that will be the signal for Jesus to come on back...You said you wanted reality....If someone would be so gracious as to please tweet out, ‘Michelle Shocked just said from stage, God hates faggots.’ Would you do it now?"

Shocked says she was misinterpreted. What do you think?

(via john becker)

Comments

1. What I'm hearing is a true believer who wants to be authentic. Not so much a homophobe, as someone who has been stirred up to fear by a preacher in a prayer meeting spouting hateful, fearful rhetoric from the pulpit. I think she is being honest that she really does fear that preachers will be forced at gunpoint to marry "homosexuals." That is what she has been told by those she trusts. I realize that she is ultimately responsible for what she says during her shows, but, frankly, I blame the preacher.

Posted by: Steven B | Mar 20, 2013 7:53:44 PM

2. Another version of the "I was misunderstood" non-apology that we've heard from athletes and politicians. F**K her.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 20, 2013 7:55:50 PM

3. I agree Dastius. She is talented and it's all so oddly fascinating. They cut her mic and she keeps singing. And then passes the hat around.

Posted by: LJC | Mar 20, 2013 7:56:17 PM

4. poor thing she's about to meet her "maker"
    Good thing cause she really needs to be on suicide watch right about now.

Sad. Pathetic religious nut case.

Posted by: mcNnyc | Mar 20, 2013 8:04:06 PM

5. Ugly, just ugly. She is clearly standing in judgment and we are the target. Her apology is a joke.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 20, 2013 8:10:44 PM

6. Jesus stole her brain.

Posted by: David R | Mar 20, 2013 8:21:03 PM

7. Dear Ms. Shocked-

Please do us all a favor and choke on your smug self righteous venomous words.

You choose to use your God to hate on other people; to divide and to oppress.

Whereas, others choose to use their God to love other people bringing them closer together and accepting them for who they are.

For you, hate is an easier path... Good luck with that!

JR

Posted by: Javier | Mar 20, 2013 8:26:45 PM

8. This is why I despise, organized religion. Christians, Muslims, Jews, you're all the same. You think that you have the right to dictate my life to me. Newsflash, I don't f#@king want you to save me. Take your drivel and put it where the sun doesn't shine. F#@k you.

Goodnight everybody. And please remember to drop a few quarters in my hat, won't you please?

Posted by: Marc C | Mar 20, 2013 8:33:14 PM

9. Actually, Marc C, Muslims and Jews rarely evangelize. And I agree, religion and god are a twin pox on humanity.

Posted by: David R | Mar 20, 2013 8:39:23 PM

10. You get the impression evangelicals are cowering in a their homes terrified that the end days are being triggered by gay marriage. I hope they are terrified, I hope they waste their entire lives cowering in the corner. Stupid fools.

Posted by: bayhuntr | Mar 20, 2013 9:00:30 PM

11. I hear a lesbian's cry for help.

Posted by: Richard Cox | Mar 20, 2013 9:01:27 PM

12. What a tragedy that Donna Summer left us so soon. She could have warned her to keep her mouth shut.

Posted by: The Milkman | Mar 20, 2013 9:05:41 PM

13. Christianity should come with a warning label: CAUTION! THIS RELIGION MAY CAUSE FEELING OF SMUG SUPERIORITY, DELUSIONS OF GRANDEUR, GENOCIDAL URGES, MAY CAUSE VILE AND LOATHSOME HATRED OF OTHERS, MAY CAUSE ENDLESS STRIFE AND SUFFERING FOR ALL INVOLVED, WILL LIKELY VOID ANY SEMBLANCE OF HUMAN DECENCY YOU CURRENTLY POSSESS.

Posted by: Kevin Foster | Mar 20, 2013 9:11:36 PM

14. Well, I think this bizarre tale is more interesting then reading about Lindsey Lohan's latest court appearance (again) or Kim Kardashian's pregnancy or a pointless grandstanding GLAAD awards show.

Posted by: LJC | Mar 20, 2013 9:11:55 PM

15. Yeah I found my 30-year old Michelle Shocked cassette tape. (Oddly enough it was the last time she was relevant.) I enjoyed throwing it in the trash. Back to obscurity where you belong......

Posted by: RR61 | Mar 20, 2013 9:18:43 PM

16. Re "You get the impression evangelicals are cowering in a their homes terrified that the end days are being triggered by gay marriage." ... that is probably true - someone who can believe the world was created in 7 mean solar days can believe anything. It's why the Republicans hooked up with them - you need people who are really, really gullible to believe that economic policies that benefit only the top 0.01% of the population are good for them too.

Posted by: Bill | Mar 20, 2013 9:40:57 PM

17. Yikes, that was a sad and uncomfortable situation. She got lost in her persecution fantasies. Her clever banter turned into self pity. No one came to the concert to hear more about her religious beliefs. I think she's been brainwashed. San Francisco is an oasis for many, including myself. No community is perfect - I've had my disagreements with some individuals, but the community on the whole is a lifesaver. She's too jaded and relatively privileged to see that anymore. Whoopsie - her tour evaporated. Welcome to what the rest of us think.

Posted by: Georgie | Mar 20, 2013 10:33:40 PM

18. She HAS to have mental problems. I read on another site that she started praying in Spanish randomly, too. She must be bi-polar.

Posted by: MuscleModelBlog.com | Mar 20, 2013 10:44:42 PM

19. I really wish folks would stop trying to pass this off as she's some kind of crazy or not firing on all cylinders. She's a bigot. Period. When you spew that amount of hate it can sound crazy to sane and loving people. I believe this woman is completely sane, she's just a bible thumping, hate flinging, homophobe, who loves to spread lies dressed up in religious ideology. She can't get lost fast enough for me. I hope her European gigs cancel just as fast as her US gigs did.

Posted by: billypollina | Mar 20, 2013 11:19:11 PM

20. Who is this person anyways??? It sounds like there is only 25 people in the audience!!!

Posted by: East Coast | Mar 20, 2013 11:24:44 PM

21. Thoughts? Besides her being batshit crazy - very disappointed with the crowd in Oakland for not shutting her bigoted dumb ass up sooner. But thank you for finally doing it!

Respectfully, a "Faggot" in Los Angeles who like Anderson Cooper, counts being gay a blessing.

Posted by: David | Mar 21, 2013 1:00:22 AM

22. She actually took the IQ lowering pill. It works just as promised. She hates everyone different than her. And her future earning potential is . . . . . going going gone just like her mind. Another one bites the dust.

Posted by: pardon me, but . . . . | Mar 21, 2013 1:36:06 AM

23. how does anybody listen to ANY of that drivel? much less the homophobic part?

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Mar 21, 2013 6:47:00 AM

24. my god. listening to even more of it--something's really wrong with that child. I agree with Dastius--it's reminiscent of that scene at the end of Altman's "Nashville" when the singer is so dissociated that she loses the thread of what she's saying.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Mar 21, 2013 6:51:21 AM

25. As people get older, they mistake their decline for the world's. The only end time is her own.

Posted by: Ken | Mar 21, 2013 7:54:22 AM