Gay Marriage | Hillary Clinton | News

Hillary Clinton Comes Out for Marriage Equality: VIDEO

Hillarymarriage

In a new video from HRC, Hillary Clinton finally says what everyone knew she believed.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. "And I do not think it would be a requirement for the next Democratic presidential candidate to come out in support of marriage equality to win the nomination."

Good luck managing the campaign of Joe Manchin for the 2016 Dem Presidential nomination. The poll whose numbers you cite places support for marriage equality at 72% among Dems and, if anything, the significant players in the primary process on each side, when it comes to financing a campaign and turning out votes, are people who are more committed on this issue than mainstream voters. It most certainly is a requirement that the next Dem nominee support marriage equality and, whether you recognize that or not, Govs. Cuomo and O'Malley, Vice President Biden and Secretary Clinton all most certainly do.

Posted by: Patric | Mar 18, 2013 3:57:33 PM

2. SMH at the comments giving Hillary a big, yawning "meh" and some of them from the same people whose adult diapers became absolutely shredded at the thought of Rob Portman's "evolution" being less than altruistic.

Posted by: beef and fur | Mar 18, 2013 3:59:56 PM

3. So easy to forget in all the back and forth...

No Democratic candidate would be able to run in 2016 who hasn't fully supported marriage equality. Seriously, roll that around in your head for a second. Let that sink in. How fast and far we've come. Incredible.

Hillary hit the ground running as soon as she arrived at the State Department and started changing as many things as she had it in her power to change. As Sec. of State she couldn't have come out in support before Obama did without creating huge problems in foreign policy. She could only go as far as the administration was willing to go.

I'll vote for her.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Mar 18, 2013 4:10:32 PM

4. A Hillary Clinton presidency would likely be a great thing for LGBT people around the world. She is one of the very, very few Americans who "gets" how things work on the ground globally. Between her and Foster Friess's recent comments, I'm really beginning to see hope that the west will force the issue of human rights around the world.

By the way - I understand that Friess is a Republican and harmful on the marriage issue at home, but his comments about the safety of LGBT people abroad really should have seen coverage here. It's an incredibly important issue and when Rick Santorum's money man is on our side, we can and should push for action.

Posted by: jd | Mar 18, 2013 5:46:03 PM

5. I'm glad Hillary came out finally in favor of marriage equality. I remember 13 years ago, writing her a letter when she defended being against marriage equality by saying she believed in a "historic definition" of marriage, asking her which historic definition she'd like to go back to, the one that says she is the property of her husband? Hillary is no longer a Senator. She's no longer Secretary of State. She only risks anything by doing this if you assume she's going to run for President. Even then, Obama has shown it's not that big of a risk. She didn't LEAD her constituents on this, she followed them. Portman is from a state not nearly as progressive as Hillary. He's still in office. He has much more to risk and is LEADING his state on this issue. We are chastising him because he has proven what we've said all along? That it's much harder to hate us when you know us personally? That's one of the main reasons we come out! It took Portman 2 years from the time his son came out to him for him to support marriage equality. Hillary has taken over 20 years... maybe it wouldn't have taken her quite so long if she had a child who was gay or lesbian. Maybe it's because I don't expect much from Republicans and expect more from Progressives, but I say thank you Rob Portman. I also say thank you Hillary Clinton and would like to add, it's about time,and should you decide to run for President, I will support you and campaign for you.

Posted by: scollingsworth | Mar 18, 2013 7:20:35 PM

6. Thank you Hillary, but I think that you and Biden are too old to run for president in 2016. I have voted for both of you in the past, in either primary or general elections and will vote for either of you should one of you become the Democratic Party nominee. However I think the party should be looking at some of the younger progressive governors to lead the party in 2016.

Posted by: andrew | Mar 18, 2013 10:48:21 PM

7. What amazes and surprises me to note of Hilary's supportive speech is that I myself would not have had the nerve to give it, at least not without the support she had to do so. I don't naturally want to get into confrontations with Muslims, for instance, Muslim leaders no less - or Christian ones for that matter - and have to defend something they so wholely despise. This means I am both a coward and not a leader on this subject. I just want to slide by, out in my personal life, but not confrontational with anyone.

So I accept myself in this matter, read all the comments, learn about the issues and as I do I think I find that slowly I am becoming a little more outspoken and revealing of myself where it is not necessarily called for. That's progress of a kind, but within I so overwhelmingly rejoice over the marriage videos and the positive news and views of gay people that a huge jubilation grows in my heart, and also, right out my mouth. Every day is getting better.

Posted by: UFFDA | Mar 18, 2013 11:00:15 PM

8. GULGYULGLLU

Posted by: luih; | Mar 19, 2013 2:28:36 AM

9. While some will say too little too late, in her defense there's not much she could do in the past four years. As secretary of state she could not take political positions. It's different from other cabinet posts in that the secretary is supposed above the political fray. For instance it would have been illegal for her even attend Democratic Convention much less give a speech there.

Posted by: Ozu | Mar 18, 2013 11:17:27 AM

Ozu WRONG! Personally I support Hillary. But the LGBTQ Community VILIFIED Pres Obama when he did not endorse it when they wanted him too. I won't go into the name calling he got from this community via this very blog here amongst others gay blogs.

While they sat with bated breath waiting on Hillary tp endorse Gay Marriage she was MUM! But in 2010 as Sec of State she still WOULD NOT endorse Gay Marriage. Don't believe me? Watch this specifically at the 2:46 mark. and hear it for yourself.
    Yeah she said that as Sec of State

However, Thanks Hillary you do have my support for POTUS in 2016 but its about time! What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Posted by: Chris DaChocolatebearcub | Mar 19, 2013 2:49:59 AM

10. Thank you, Hillary. Thank you very much. It is appreciated, and will be remembered in 2016. Thanks again, Hillary.

Posted by: millerbeach | Mar 19, 2013 4:26:11 AM

11. Too late now Hill. Barack was a step ahead of you and came out for marriage equality when he actually had something to lose.

Posted by: Wimp | Mar 19, 2013 7:05:45 AM

12. She looks downright... Presidential.

Posted by: ChrisQ | Mar 19, 2013 7:06:38 AM

13. Such pandering malarkey. Do you actually believe her? All bases must be covered prior to another presidential run. Immigration reform will be the next statement..

Posted by: Ha! | Mar 19, 2013 12:12:09 PM