Lady Gaga | New York | News | Terry Richardson

Lady Gaga Surfaces in 24-Karat Gold Wheelchair

Gaga
(image terry's diary)

Lady Gaga was photographed by Terry Richardson out and about in NYC after her recent hip surgery.

In a 24-karat gold wheelchair.

MTV reports that Mordekai's Ken Borochov was commissioned to design the chair:

"I certainly wasn't expecting that phone call and have never done a wheelchair but am always up for a challenge and was thrilled to create what I affectionately dubbed the Chariot, a chair fit only for a queen," Ken said in an official statement.

Logically, Ken looked first to a throne for his inspiration. He then fashioned the Chariot from tufted calf leather, inspired by classic motorcycle jackets, adding a removable leather canopy that we REALLY want to get a look at. The wheels and hardware are 24-Karat gold plated. Maybe the craziest detail of all of this, the whole business had to be completed in a single week! Well done, Ken Borochov, well done.

Comments

1. She IS Lady Gaga, she's not just going to tool around in some medical supply house wheelchair. BESIDES, who's to say she's not going to auction off the wheelchair after, and donate the money to charity? Guess we didn't think of that, hmm?

Posted by: Todd | Mar 12, 2013 3:05:33 PM

2. Yes, it's true that wealthy people spend ridiculous amounts on dinner at nice restaurants and spend millions on obscenely large homes without so much criticism. (Though sometimes they do; see, e.g., the documentary The Queen of Versailles).

But food and houses aren't like wheelchairs. The level of ostentatiousness is much much higher. People can understand the added value of a larger home. People can understand the value of (presumably) better an fresher ingredients. But a gold wheelchair? The criticism comes from the fact that there is no obvious justifiable reason.

It's similar to the sentiment people had about that $1000 I'm Rich app that did nothing that but display an image of a diamond. It's just a flashy way of saying, "I betcha can't do this!"

Posted by: John | Mar 12, 2013 3:22:38 PM

3. Enh... It's her money, I figure she can do what she likes with it.
    She did, if you recall, donate $1 million to rebuilding NYC post-Sandy.

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 12, 2013 3:36:42 PM

4. It's part of the worship of the plutocracy we live in. We are supposed to blindly worship her wealth.

Posted by: 13 Mitred Abbots | Mar 12, 2013 4:28:27 PM

5. Wow. You could cut the self-righteous indignation with a gold-plated knife in here.

Posted by: JamesInCA | Mar 12, 2013 4:36:51 PM

6. Yawn!

Posted by: Killbilly | Mar 12, 2013 5:08:06 PM

7. Poor calf!

Posted by: dumbnhung | Mar 12, 2013 5:44:43 PM

8. I think she's fabulous and it's a wonderful stunt. As for what she could have done, this woman has probably donated more to charity than I have ever and will ever make.

Posted by: David Hearne | Mar 12, 2013 5:45:31 PM

9. If I were to win the big lottery, I would buy a Toyota Land Cruiser. Yes, it's wasteful and some might think pretentious, to buy a $75,000 vehicle. So what? If I have that kind of money, I'll be employing people and paying huge taxes.... like Gaga does.

Posted by: David Hearne | Mar 12, 2013 5:48:10 PM

10. Look how the Fame gets these MAdonna fans blood boiling. Get it Gaga!

Posted by: Jake | Mar 12, 2013 6:10:02 PM

11. Gold is not a very sturdy metal. That's why gold chains are typically not solid gold. 24 carat means solid gold, and that would collapse. So it has to be a gold plated item.

Posted by: Charlie | Mar 12, 2013 6:20:45 PM

12. Okay, I seriously did love her before reading this. But now she's just a famewhore.

Posted by: Toto | Mar 12, 2013 6:34:33 PM

13. You know what is pathetic? Not Lady GaGa's pimped out wheelchair. What is pathetic is the amount of gay men on this site who feel the need to say awful things about Lady GaGa in order to buck the assumption that all gay men love Lady GaGa.

The bottom line is, she has donated more money to LGBT charities then you ever will, and she has used her position in the spotlight to advocate for LGBT rights more then any of her peers. Surely that earns her a free pass when it comes to her over the top antics.

You don't have to like her music or art, but at the very least I think she has earned our respect.

Carry on, vultures.

Posted by: Thomas | Mar 12, 2013 6:49:58 PM

14. I didn't know she had Lupus, too! In that case, she deserves a break and that prop is rather necessary for an entertainer like her, given the circumstances... Even though the timing is not 'ideal', with the recessions and all......Then, you don't get ill on schedule....

Posted by: iban4yesu | Mar 12, 2013 8:56:50 PM

15. can't wait for the electric model... I hear it runs on whale oil!

Posted by: Goop | Mar 12, 2013 9:16:05 PM

16. Think I heard she's gonna have it melted down into a gold easter egg to pop out of.

Posted by: greenfuzz | Mar 12, 2013 9:31:09 PM

17. She really should be saving her money in light of her fading career.

Posted by: Paulie | Mar 12, 2013 10:08:12 PM

18. I like Lady Gaga's politics. She has been a great spokesperson for our cause. I am grateful for that. But I think she would have been better off giving that money to a good cause, like the Ali Forney Center (that was badly hit by Hurricane Sandy) for example, instead of this useless self-indulgence.

Posted by: bonhomme | Mar 12, 2013 10:17:29 PM

19. I hope her bed pan was tin. This woman is over.

Posted by: Tim | Mar 12, 2013 10:35:31 PM

20. What an attention seeking pig. A 24-Karat Gold wheelchair? Pathetic. So sick of her.

Posted by: Pig | Mar 12, 2013 10:43:32 PM

21. People on here are so salty and whiny. I'm not an LG fan but you don't have to be a fan to be reasonable. If I was stuck in a wheelchair for an extended amount of time, I'd customize it too. Nothing as fancy as this because I don't have the money but I'd make it something I liked. Hurt or not, she wants to roll around in style and she can't have some hospital wheelchair cramping her style. Her aesthetic appeal doesn't disappear because she isn't as mobile. This woman has donates millions to a number of different charities and has always been an outspoken advocate. There is no reason that she can't spend the rest of the money whoever she likes. She is charitable and doe seem nice. By all of your logic, none of us should ever splurge on any gifts for ourselves with money that we worked for. Next time you eat at a restaurant make sure to berate yourself because plenty of people are starving. Net time you go to buy a car of your choice, go buy a cheap one and then donate the rest to people that don't have cars because you'd be being selfish. Next time to want to go buy a house, go find a shack by the side of the road and donate the rest of that money to families that can't get homes.

Also, gold plating isn't the same as solid gold. It is way less expensive. I could go out and get a few sheets of it and I'm a broke student. It just attaches to the other metal and makes it look nice.

Posted by: Jemini | Mar 12, 2013 10:47:01 PM

22. This is just really tacky & I don't understand what her statement is supposed to be here.

Yes it is her money to spend however she wants. But this display of over-consumption & wealth mocks people who are genuinely disabled and normally living on the financial edge. Anyone I've known who has required a wheelchair to get around (or lives with any other disability or illness) has usually been happy to be able to feed themselves & pay their bills each month & maybe go out for a beer or two at the end of it.

Anyone who says they do good but is so conspicious with their wealth just makes me think of the catholic church. If she's really a good person she'll make sure that wheelchair goes towards buying thousands for people who really need them.

Posted by: jugomono | Mar 12, 2013 11:21:00 PM

23. I am more disgusted by that lace-front! Clearly she can afford to buy a better wig... wtf.

Posted by: yoyo | Mar 12, 2013 11:46:13 PM

24. Poor ticket sales. Illness. Cancel concerts.

Done before.

Not one thing original.

Posted by: brion | Mar 13, 2013 1:30:15 AM

25. omg. those big-azz orthepedic flat (again: flat!) shoes? :-). My Queen, get better soon.

Posted by: redball | Mar 13, 2013 2:59:46 AM